android
Old 02-17-2007, 11:01 AM

Default Zen Portable Media Center and WMP11

I accidentally bought a Zen Portable Media Center earlier this year (I thought I was buying a Zen Vision and didn't realize my mistake until I had already thrown the box and receipt away). Despite the age of the player, it worked great for audio, video and photos using WMP10.

When downloaded WMP11 and I noticed some video conversion problems. The videos were converting poorly and were so grainy and pixelated that I couldn't physically watch them.

My first attempt to fix the problem was to roll back to WMP10. However then my Zen device showed up at an MTP device. It connected with WMP10 fine, but WMP10 would not convert video and would simply place small 13kb .wmv files on the player. When connecting my device to my computer it would no longer ask me if I wanted to load WMP. It would ask, but not give me an option. Finally, for the first time ever it allowed me to physically access my Zen's hard drive in Explorer. That's cool but doesn't help me convert videos into a format the player can read.

I tried uninstalling and re-installing the Zen software from the CD. Zen has no updated firmware for the Portable Media Center that I could find. I tried rolling back even further to WMP9 to then re-install WMP10 again. That didn't work and instead I ended up updating again to WMP11. So now I have WMP11 on my computer again.

Now with WMP11 on my computer the device again registers as Zen PMC instead of an MTP device and it gives me the option to load WMP11 when I plug in the USB cable. But now WMP11 is not detecting it as a device. I can't sync anything to it. I can still access the hard drive through Windows Explorer.

Am I totally screwed? Does this device even work with WMP11? And if it should and I ever do get it working again, how can I fix the initial video conversion problem?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-18-2007, 01:06 AM

Ok how about this one... I've done more research and decided to try going back to WMP10 again. This time the rollback went much better. I can sync everything to the device except for video. When it comes to video, it tries to convert the file, fails converts it and then just syncs a 13kb file on the player (I'm assuming the .ini file?).

While I was at work today my husband found the Windows Media Encoder 9 and converted a video using it on his computer. I transfered the encoded video to my own computer and viola.... it synced fine on my computer. Unfortunately, Windows Media Encoder 9 just gives me errors and fails on my computer.

So for now the solution is to encode video on his computer, transfer it back to my computer and then sync it to the player.

Seems like I have a corrupt WMP10 file or something.