android
Old 03-03-2011, 01:17 AM
Ultra Senior Member

You will have to use a wall charger to find out if the firmware update worked or anything else about the player. I know the PSP charger works because that is what I use.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-03-2011, 07:47 PM

Red face The long wait...

Well, I asked my friends and tomorrow or at worse, Saturday, I'll have one to test... Now is the long wait... feels like my Zen is at the green mile...
I'll post as soon as I have some news, hopefully good ones.

Old 03-05-2011, 01:08 PM

Unhappy Still not turning on after firmware upgrade without charger...

Got the PSP charger and no luck...
Checked the battery terminals and it has 4,15v meaning there is power in the circuit. Unfortunately it still wont turn on.
Even tried a new battery I had bought before the firmware upgrade and got the same result... nothing.
Either the eproom is totaled or it is locked. If that's the case, perhaps a combination of keys or a short somewhere in the circuit can do the trick. Unfortunately without a proper assistance I'm afraid it is next to impossible to find out.
At least I didn't spend the money buying the new charger...
Any ideas or should I throw the towel?

Old 03-09-2011, 06:57 AM

Lightbulb Repairing my Dead Creative Zen Xtra!

Hi,

Found a guy in the uk that repairs these players. He told me he would repair it for 15!
As soon as I have it back, I'll post here.

I's good news to all the bricks out there!

Carlos.

Old 03-13-2011, 04:19 PM

Default After a few attempts I suceeded! (Using VirtualBox!) THANKS A LOT!

Hello guys...
Greetings from Brazil!

First, THANKS A LOT for all of you who shared the knowledge and experience!
If it wasn't for this topic I would have a brain-dead Zen Xtra 60GB!

=============

I just wanted to have MTP support in order to easily upload/sync in Windows 7.

As I don't have any Windows XP machine available I decided to attempt the firmware upgrade using a virtual machine (it sound a little crazy and the ideal was to install it in a real machine - but I thought it would be too much trouble and decided to take the risk). My choice was VirtualBox (VB).

I used VirtualBox 4.0.4 and installed Win XP Home SP2 on it as the guest OS.
My machine OS is Win 7 ultimate 64-bits.

1st Attempt (get the ZEN to work before even trying the update):
- Activate VB USB support
- Put the Zen Xtra in the USB Filter list of VB in order to VB get control of the device and pass it to WinXP
- Install all newest Zen driver and MediaSource + Zen Explorer
- (I also installed WMP10, as required for firmware upgrade even tough it wouldn't be needed for now (maybe I should not have done it until later) )
Results:
At first the Zen was recognized in WinXP and apparently the driver was installed. But the device in Device Manager was showing an error: "Device could not start".
After googling, someone suggested to install the VB Extension and enable USB 2.0 support.

2nd Attempt (non-MTP MediaSource and Explorer worked but the PFS-Firmware upgraded hanged):
- After installed and activated 2.0 support the WinXP guest os did finally installed the driver properly and all was working!
- Backed up some data files that was only on the Zen...
- I kept all the Creative software installed, and WMP10.
- I executed the PFS Firmware upgrade. It recognized and started upgrading. It did something but then it hanged waiting for the device to reboot.
- The problem could be caused by the fact that when the Firmware did its first step on the upgrade, the device did reboot, but then it had a new USB Device Name and VB did not passed its control to WinXP, and then the Firmware software was waiting for the device forever.
- After a while I finally realized that this happened and took action in order to pass the "new" Zen to WinXP control (I added the "new" device name to VB USB filter list).
- After doing that, WinXP recognized it as a Portable Media Player! (I thought everything was going to be alright)
- But the Firmware upgrade software did not resume its upgrade process!!! =/
- I finally got tired of waiting and closed it and tried to recognize the Zen with WMP10 with no success
- I tried to use the Zen, and then I got into the Firmware rescue mode of the player.
- I reformatted and cleaned apparently successfully
- I tried the Reboot option, but it just got back to the rescue mode screen.
- I use the Reload OS and tried to upgrade again to realize that the device was not being found by the Upgrade software.

3rd Attempt (following this topic instructions):
- Fortunately I found this topic. But my case was a little different that the majority. Windows Explorer never recognized it as a 20mb device. But in the Device Manager apparently all was OK and WinXP recognized it as a Portable device.
- I tried the "Reload OS + LanguageSelection_Click" timing tip with no success...=/
- I uninstalled everything from Creative and tried again. No success...
- I removed WMP10 to WMP9 and tried again. With only WMP9 Windows cannot even recognize the Zen properly, it shows as a unknown device in Device Manager. No success...
- I re-installed the Creativer Driver and tried again. No success...
- I installed again WMP10 and tried again. No success...
- I removed the Creative Driver and tried again with no success...
- (I believe that I re-installed WMP10 and tried again. But I am not so sure)

Last Attempt (SUCCESS!):
- I was going to install WinXP directly in my machine to try all again without VB possible interfering.
- But before that, I tried to mess with VB USB config. I unmarked USB 2.0 support, no real reason. And added a new USB device filter with nothing on it, supposedly VB would pass control to the guest OS of all USB devices.
- I then re-installed WMP10...
- Then it finally WORKED!
- I don't know if was the VB USB config change, or it was only the WMP10 re-installation that made it work. But now is all well! =) Win7 recognizes it, and although I haven't transferred all my library to it, I believe is all ok.

Obs:
- After the failed upgrade. All the times that I plugged the Zen cable to the PC, and with WMP10 installed, WinXP would ask what I would want to do with the new device (nothing / sync library with wmp...). This means that WinXP is recognizing the device as a MTP device, but as the firmware was bad it failed to do anything further...
- When the firmware upgrade software was able to see the device, finally, it showed that the current firmware was 2.10.03 and warned that it was the same version that I was trying to upgrade to. I confirmed it, of course...!
- I always used the "Reload OS + Language_Selection_Click" timing tip in all my retries.
- Maybe the real problem was a issue with WMP10. So re-installing it maybe was the real fix. As other people already pointed it out...

=================

Thanks a lot guys!

I hope my experience can also help others!

Thanks!

Davi.

Old 03-18-2011, 12:01 AM

After months of looking at this supposed brick of an mp3 player I have fixed my zen xtra 30gb thanks to the above poster DaviCastro . I did everything he did in his successful attempt and much to my suprise it worked!

edit: just wanted to add that the operating system i loaded through virtualbox was windows xp pro SERVICE PACK 2, my current os is SERVICE PACK 3 and did not work at all so be sure yours is 2 and not 3.

Last edited by tetsuro; 03-19-2011 at 06:56 PM.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:41 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Great stuff DaviCastro! This will certainly help folks out - I have 2 Zen Xtras myself and pretty much did what you did a couple of years ago and I too had success.
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 03-31-2011, 05:56 PM

Talking Saved my player from its coma!

Hi all,

I have good news too! Got my player back and it's working like a charm!

My player died at half upgrade and there was nothing else I could do. It was completly dead. Called this guy and he told me he would have to replace the mainboard...

I also asked for the latest firmware so he updated it too, and it's great... well it is now that it's working!

The guy that repaired my zen is located in the UK. He's name is Trevor Baker (trevorbaker1 at yahoo .co.uk) and he does almost any repair to these creative players.

In my case it took him 3 days plus shipping (from Portugal it took a week to get there there and another one go get it back).

Perfect packaging, everything as supposed and I even bought a new charger to replace my nonfunctioning one. He has all the parts. Disks, Boards, plugs, chargers - you name it.

Prices were very reasonable and he got my player back to life... what else can we ask? he's the real deal! He's exactly what Creative should be and wasn't - the perfect assistance...

Call him and take your bricks back to life!

Old 04-01-2011, 01:35 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos_costa View Post
Hi all,

I have good news too! Got my player back and it's working like a charm!

My player died at half upgrade and there was nothing else I could do. It was completly dead. Called this guy and he told me he would have to replace the mainboard...

I also asked for the latest firmware so he updated it too, and it's great... well it is now that it's working!

The guy that repaired my zen is located in the UK. He's name is Trevor Baker (trevorbaker1 at yahoo .co.uk) and he does almost any repair to these creative players.

In my case it took him 3 days plus shipping (from Portugal it took a week to get there there and another one go get it back).

Perfect packaging, everything as supposed and I even bought a new charger to replace my nonfunctioning one. He has all the parts. Disks, Boards, plugs, chargers - you name it.

Prices were very reasonable and he got my player back to life... what else can we ask? he's the real deal! He's exactly what Creative should be and wasn't - the perfect assistance...

Call him and take your bricks back to life!
Great to hear you found someone reliable to fix your player.

Old 04-04-2011, 05:35 AM

Smile

I actually have ebay to thank to... That's where I found him, lol!

I saw him through this auction:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=230597615327

As you can see, after messaging back and forward for a while, I knew he was the right person to save my zen... (I never asked, but i think at some point he must have worked for creative... check his other auctions and you'll see what I'm talking about...).

Well, so far so good. Everything still works ok and apart from one single crash when I was experimenting the options, it's been great.
Sound is still loud and clear (I was afraid they'd change the level due to euro regulations), the look is much more stylish and even the battery seem somewhat optimize (can't say for sure if it's due to the new firmware or a super charge I made to My dead battery - It stood too long siting).
I definitely recommend the update.

Old 04-11-2011, 05:22 PM

Lightbulb Charging a zen dead battery

By the way, I know this is a bit offtopic, but, as I had this issue when I was recovering my zen player, so, in case someone has the same problem, don't go buying a new battery without trying this first:

Regarding dead batteries, I saw somewhere that the only way to get a dead battery running with this player is getting a new battery and when charging the new one and it is half full, you take it off and put the old one as fast as possible, tricking it to continue the charge...

Well, I did buy the new battery, but wasn't in the mood for waiting till it arrived, so, I decided to charge the old one outside the player. It's really not that hard and it'll save you the trouble of buying a new one (please note this doesn't do miracles. If your battery wasn't working properly before you let it die, chances are it wont get much better).

I simply took it off, plugged some wires to the middle (+) and the right points (-) and the other end of the wires I connected to a Olympus desk charger (which should have an output of 5V, give it or take - for a 3,5V battery). You wont have to fully charge it this way (thought i did, with an excellent result), just enough for the player to recognize it as a partial dicharged battery... Half hour should do the trick.

For those that don't have this type of desk chargers (they start charging by impulse and when it has some charge already it goes continuous), I suggest you use your creative charger, for as long as you have some care with the plugging to avoid shorting it.

If you have doubts, post me.

Take care,

Carlos.

Old 10-23-2011, 10:49 PM

Default Zenxtra 2.10.03 trouble

After I updated my Creative Zen Xtra 40 Gb the device doesn't accept duplicate titles for different artists ,as it did before the update .
I am using the Creative Media Source programm to add files from my computer to the Nomad Zen Xtra .
Please inform me how I can restore the possiblity of entering duplicate titlles with different artists into my Nomad as i t was
Thanks

Old 10-24-2011, 12:55 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Load the files using an different program say like Windows Media Player or just load the player thru Windows Explorer.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:01 PM

... after reading all of the above posts, I decided to dust off my bricked Zen Xtra 60GB (dead hard drive) a while back... I bought from Amazon a 128GB SSD IDE drive and installed the latest firmware (v2.10.03) from WindowsXP. I started loaded all my library of songs on and it almost worked!!! Everything seems to work except the playlists! When I choose playlists, it came up with error!. But I still can access anything on the drive, albums, artists, even genres but playlists. Any idea?

Old 10-07-2012, 12:57 PM

Link is dead.

Did you see if SSD FW is the last one?

What cause Playlist to crash is the extension of file (like MP3 ID# on them), etc.

I'd would go for:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...egacy_Pro.html

But they are begin back-ordered now.

Last edited by Gradius; 10-07-2012 at 01:10 PM.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:43 PM

Hey guys, thanks for all the tips. I finally restored firmware using windows xp sp2 + WMP10 using virtualbox.
If somebody is interested, here's the complete VM for virtualbox (right click on the link -> Save As): winxpsp2wmp10.ova (886MB)

Make sure that you add your ZEN into the USB devices under Settings -> USB and reconnect it for the VM to recognise it. Cheers!

I've tried other ways as well. For example dd <source> <dest> under Linux works well as well, but only if the new hdd is the same capacity. Otherwise the reported capacity will be the same as of the old hdd.

Last edited by moonman; 01-31-2013 at 10:34 PM.

Old 03-16-2013, 01:07 PM

Unhappy Bricked Zen Xtra

Let's start with this....
How do I move the entire Media Source from my hard drive to an external drive. I don't want to lose over 30 gigs of music.
Bought a replacement player on ebay. It's a 30 gig and it worked when it arrived yesterday. I decided to take my 60 gig HD from the old Xtra and put it in the new player. Turn it on and it's in recovery mode. Can't get it to do anything else.
Lets save the data first. Thanks!

Old 03-16-2013, 03:11 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
Let's start with this....
How do I move the entire Media Source from my hard drive to an external drive. I don't want to lose over 30 gigs of music.
Bought a replacement player on ebay. It's a 30 gig and it worked when it arrived yesterday. I decided to take my 60 gig HD from the old Xtra and put it in the new player. Turn it on and it's in recovery mode. Can't get it to do anything else.
Lets save the data first. Thanks!
What was the firmware version on the old player & the version of the new one?

Old 03-17-2013, 03:37 PM

Geez......I have no clue. I didn't think to look. I really want this thing to work again. I've hda it a long time. It's like a part of me is lost. Phone battery just doesn't cut it as a music player.
If you are a user, hit me up on Skype if you have some free time.
john.pecchillo <---- Skype name

Old 03-17-2013, 05:19 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Can you put the drives back into the players you removed it from? If so do that then check to see what firmware is on each player.