android
Old 12-24-2008, 10:50 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Interesting..... perhaps. Any chance you can try another computer running the English version of WinXP?. I'm assuming you have downloaded the update from Creative's site again in case the file was corrupted?

Zen FAQ

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-25-2008, 09:18 AM

Default Creative drivers..

Try not installing the Creative drivers. I posted something a while back about the trouble I was having with those drivers, and removed them from my system. I actually removed anything that had to do with the Zen in the creative folder. If you try this, be careful that you don't have any other Creative hardware installed as you may remove things that your system may need to run.

Now for something completely different.....

Realizing that this is a site that deals with anything but iPod
Be grateful you don't own one...

From what I know about them and the limited experience I have with them, it appears that iTunes is needed to get information to and from the device.
Reconfiguring a PC for a friend that has an iPod Video. Trying to get the thing to actually play videos, the iPod that is, I converted a video and was set to Xfer it to the device. Well without iTunes installed, you can pretty much forget it. Once iTunes is installed, unless I am missing a setting, you can't sync just one video to the device without it erasing everything else.

Now try the Zen, plug it in and copy music. How easy is that?

But since this site is for anything but iPod, does anyone here have any experience with SkullCandy mp3 players? I have one that is locked and I can't get it unlocked. There is no reset button on it. Funny thing is you can still copy files to and from it, as it works fine as a storage drive, but it won't play music.

Don't know what day it is everywhere around the world but here it is the 25th.

Merry Xmas to all.....

Old 12-26-2008, 10:42 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUMBLE View Post
Try not installing the Creative drivers. I posted something a while back about the trouble I was having with those drivers, and removed them from my system.
Well, without the PFS firmware that would turn the Xtra into an MTP device that wouldn't need the Creative drivers, he is going to need some driver in order for the Xtra to be recognizable by the Operating system. I would make sure you are using the latest version from Creative's site.

Zen FAQ

Old 12-27-2008, 09:55 AM

Default Understandable...

That much I do know about the Creative drivers. However his original problem started when he tried to upgrade his firmware, which from what I've read, starts almost everyone's problems. The Creative drivers can be installed after the firmware upgrade.

I searched for my post on the trouble I was having when I tried to upgrade my firmware. I did remove all Creative drivers from my system just to get the firmware upgraded. Then I put them back on, the Creative drivers, and it was all good. The Zen is still kicking with the 100gig HD in it. Plus I don't have to use iTunes.

Old 12-27-2008, 10:24 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
However his original problem started when he tried to upgrade his firmware, which from what I've read, starts almost everyone's problems.
Yeah, but ABno's issue was with the firmware update file/utility not recognizing the OS correctly. It didn't even get as far as the usual "not see my zen" or "the firmware failed" problems you see posted all the time.

Quote:
The Creative drivers can be installed after the firmware upgrade.
Yes, but after the upgrade to a PFS firmware, even if you install the drivers, they will not get used because they are not drivers for an MTP (portable) device, but more USB drivers.

Quote:
The Zen is still kicking with the 100gig HD in it. Plus I don't have to use iTunes.
Damn straight!

Zen FAQ

Old 12-28-2008, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Yeah, but ABno's issue was with the firmware update file/utility not recognizing the OS correctly. It didn't even get as far as the usual "not see my zen" or "the firmware failed" problems you see posted all the time.

Maybe the file was corrupted when he downloaded it. It happens on occasion to any file for whatever reason. Download the file again. If it still happens check Creative's forums to see if anyone else has this problem. If not, you could e-mail Creative tech support with the issue, which since I've never had to do I don't know how good they are, or try the operation on a different computer. Perhaps a friend who is willing to help out.

Old 12-28-2008, 09:28 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Maybe the file was corrupted when he downloaded it. It happens on occasion to any file for whatever reason. Download the file again. If it still happens check Creative's forums to see if anyone else has this problem. If not, you could e-mail Creative tech support with the issue, which since I've never had to do I don't know how good they are, or try the operation on a different computer. Perhaps a friend who is willing to help out.
Yup, already asked:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
I'm assuming you have downloaded the update from Creative's site again in case the file was corrupted?

Zen FAQ

Old 12-28-2008, 04:37 PM

Oh Yeah!!!

WORK!!!

This fu/c..../nny installer do not support HUNGARIAN version of Microsoft XP.
Install new ENGLISH version (sp2) and working the upgrade.
Thanks the help.

ABno

Happy New Year!

Old 12-28-2008, 07:24 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Great! Nice job ABno. Thanks for posting an update. Happy New Year to you too!

Zen FAQ

Old 01-03-2009, 08:19 PM

Talking Firwre issue resolved`

I typed out the steps I followed but the loggin on this forum is SCREWED.
anyways it worked. I used REG CLEAN 4.3 in addition to uninstalling creative bloatware because anyone knows uninstalling creative doesn't mean S**t.
Fortunately I had a backup in winamp of all my music.

good luck

Old 01-03-2009, 11:11 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Welcome rts100x5. Thanks for posting. Did you end up uninstalling all of the Creative software, then doing some reg cleaning and the firmware reload took? What exactly was your issue?

Zen FAQ

Old 02-09-2009, 10:12 PM

I have a dead xtra after i tried a firmware upgrade because of switching to windows vista. The player won't even go into recovery mode it has nothing on the display an is not recognized by my computer. Is there any hope of getting this to work again?

Old 02-10-2009, 01:51 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The PFS firmware upgrade has been known to kill the player. How I don't know

Old 02-10-2009, 08:16 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktcain24 View Post
I have a dead xtra after i tried a firmware upgrade because of switching to windows vista. The player won't even go into recovery mode it has nothing on the display an is not recognized by my computer. Is there any hope of getting this to work again?
Upgrading to which firmware? Did you make sure you had a full charge on the battery before upgrading? A dead Zen should have nothing to do with Windows/Vista. The Zen will not be recognized or detected by Windows unless it is powered on into the firmware or into Recovery Mode. Does the Zen appear to show any signs of charging when plugged into the USB port or a charger? Just in case this is a power/battery issue, leave it connected and charging for a day or two to see if it eventually turns back on.

Zen FAQ

Old 02-10-2009, 06:14 PM

I was upgrading to the Plays for Sure 2 10 03 firmware so that i could continue to use it since with the old firmware it would no longer work with Vista. The battery was fully charged and was plugged into the charger. While i was trying to upgrade the firmware it appeared to be about 95% done when the display went dead and stayed in that state. Over an hour later it was still in that state so i figured that something went wrong. When it is plugged into the charger now there is no signs that it is charging as the display is blank. I have two spare batteries and it does the same with all batteries.

Old 02-11-2009, 12:21 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
When it is plugged into the charger now there is no signs that it is charging as the display is blank.
Any flashing lights indicating charging?

Quote:
I have two spare batteries and it does the same with all batteries.
Are they both fully charged?

Although a little rare, yes upgrading the PFS firmware has been known to do this. With the amount of changes that takes place with writing to the ROM, the window for corruption is a little more open. Once the ROM is corrupted, you will most likely need a new mainboard to repair.

If you aren't intimidated, you try methods in this thread that may or may not help with the battery. You can also try opening up the Zen and try connecting the power without the battery installed. This may help with determining if you have a battery issue or not.

Zen FAQ

Old 02-13-2009, 07:45 AM

There is no lights flashing or nothing on the display not even the battery charge icon when plugged in. I put a meter on the batteries an they appear to be fully charged. I tried the hard drive in an external hard drive case and it works so it appears that the hard drive is not the problem.

Old 02-15-2009, 10:49 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
There is no lights flashing or nothing on the display not even the battery charge icon when plugged in. I put a meter on the batteries an they appear to be fully charged. I tried the hard drive in an external hard drive case and it works so it appears that the hard drive is not the problem.
Sounds like you've done some good testing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
Although a little rare, yes upgrading the PFS firmware has been known to do this. With the amount of changes that takes place with writing to the ROM, the window for corruption is a little more open. Once the ROM is corrupted, you will most likely need a new mainboard to repair.

Zen FAQ

Old 02-20-2009, 10:27 PM

Hi all,

I registered just to say thanks to Walkerton, for his excellent and detailed instructions. They worked like a charm. In my case it was a bit more complicated - I had Windows Media Player 9, the upgrade went straight to 11, had to roll it back and then install 10. After that, the instructions worked exactly as described.

Thanks again!

Old 02-21-2009, 08:03 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_a View Post
I registered just to say thanks to Walkerton, for his excellent and detailed instructions. They worked like a charm. In my case it was a bit more complicated - I had Windows Media Player 9, the upgrade went straight to 11, had to roll it back and then install 10. After that, the instructions worked exactly as described.
Hello and welcome to ABI!. Happy to hear the forum has helped. Windows XP comes with WMP9. It sounds like Windows was upgraded directly to WMP11, so WMP10 won't be installed or show when WMP11 is uninstalled; only WMP9.

Zen FAQ