android
Old 10-04-2008, 09:11 AM
Ultra Senior Member

No problem. What category was the Xtra located under in Device Manager? Since you tried installing the PlaysForSure firmware, the Xtra may be showing up under the Portable Devices category. If so, you do not need any drivers or software installed to get the Xtra working or detected. In fact, the installed drivers and Creative software you have installed may be the cause. If the above is true (showing in the Portable Device category in Device Manager), then you may want to uninstall all Creative software and the added drivers you have installed to see if the Xtra then gets recognized by the firmware installer.

Zen FAQ

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-11-2008, 05:23 AM

Hello BobbyRS

Got the zen xtra working, I read through most of the forums here and I tried a few different computers, I had recently fixed a computer for a friend and it had only XP pro sp1 and hardwear drivers installed, connected xtra player then ran the p4sure firmware and the reload OS on the Xtra, it connected first time and installed firmware correctly on the Xtra.
now the p4sure 2.10.03 firmware is installed and xtra is running a treat and also works in vista.

Advice to others - try using different computers, I had used 4 different machines and got one that worked.

many thank BobbyRS and the forums for help
cheers
Alan

Old 10-11-2008, 09:20 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Good job Alan! Thanks for posting a follow-up after getting it working. XP and MTP are extremely picky together and can be easily broken. Sometimes, it just is faster finding another computer to us instead. Again, congrats and thank you for the compliments!

Zen FAQ

Old 10-17-2008, 11:30 AM

Default Here we go again....

New problem.
Victim - Creative Zen 8Gig (Digital Media Player)
Problem - Bricked
How did it happen?

Wish I knew. I hooked it up, installed the software. All is good as for now.
Reboot.
Creative auto update decides that there is new software available for the Zen.
Download and install.
Reboot.
Zen is dead.
Won't turn on, won't charge, and hooking it into a computer, and I've tried 3 of them with different OS's, has no effect. Still won't turn on.

I have no idea what happened. Has anyone encountered a problem like this before or is there a combination of buttons that need to be pressed and held down that will launch it into recovery mode?

Any help would be appreciated.

--EDIT--
Well duh....

When all else fails, try hitting the reset button. Need a pin to do it but it seems to be working as for now....

Last edited by RUMBLE; 10-17-2008 at 11:39 AM.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:16 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUMBLE View Post
--EDIT--
Well duh....

When all else fails, try hitting the reset button. Need a pin to do it but it seems to be working as for now....
Good job. I usually carry around a paperclip for this purpose.

Zen FAQ

Old 10-22-2008, 08:21 AM

Default Trouble was....

I was having flashbacks when it happened, and I don't recall doing anything to it to make it brick. It was hooked up, the Creative software decides to go and check for new versions of software so my ZEN will be more efficient at doing tasks. I do understand that sometimes fixes are necessary to help eliminate crashes, add features, and speed up the process when it comes to converting video, or music to your player. Gang, this is not just a MP3 player issue when it comes to updates, it is pretty much anything that hooks into a computer. Motherboard, video card, NIC, sound card. You name it, it usually gets an update of some kind. This update can be a software fix or a firmware flash. The firmware is usually what hoses most users.

Now, last time I checked the # 1.21 was greater than 1.03 unless my math is way off, or I mis-read the read me on the update. The ZEN was hooked up when the update was downloading, once the software got done running, I had a nice new shiny brick. So I freaked. There was less than 4 hours of run time on this player when this happened. I didn't use it a whole lot as my jukebox holds more, 100gig or so. See my first post on this little gem as to how I fixed it.

I'm thinking of replacing the HD in the jukebox with a smaller one as I don't have 100gig of music in my entire collection, and I have a laptop that could really use the extra space. So my adventure may be starting all over again.....

Old 10-27-2008, 11:54 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Thanks for the update Rumble. Feel free to keep us posted on your new adventure.

Zen FAQ

Old 11-17-2008, 03:14 PM

Is there a way to load firmware directly on to the hard drive? As in, a HD that was removed from a Zen Xtra and is in a USB adapter case?

Old 11-17-2008, 03:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Not that I'm aware of.... The hard drive needs to be in the Xtra in order to install. The firmware interacts with the players ROM.

Zen FAQ

Old 11-17-2008, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
Not that I'm aware of.... The hard drive needs to be in the Xtra in order to install. The firmware interacts with the players ROM.
OK, so that's out. How about copying files from a hard drive that's been removed and is connected to a PC using a USB adapter?

Old 11-17-2008, 08:29 PM
Ultra Senior Member

No sorry. The file system will only be recognized while installed in the Xtra. See this thread for more info.

Zen FAQ

Old 12-13-2008, 10:45 PM

I registered just to thank you, Bobby. All this information saved me. your tireless efforts are appreciated (and love to the OP as well, of course).

Old 12-14-2008, 08:22 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Welcome the dude24. Thank you for the compliment and going out of your way just to say thanks. I'm flattered. No that you've registered, try not to be a stranger.

Zen FAQ

Old 12-16-2008, 11:26 AM

Default firmware upgrade problem

Hi All!

I have ZEN Xtra 60 gb player with 1.20.08 firmware. I try upgrade to 2.10.03 version. Upgrade failed. Please see the picture (another link) and give me any idea for upgrade.
(new install of WIN XP pro SP1 + creative driver + nomad explorer + MP10)

ABno

ps: sorry for my bad english

Last edited by ABno; 12-16-2008 at 11:34 AM.

Old 12-16-2008, 01:00 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Welcome ABno. Going off the picture, you need to make sure you have WinXP Service Pack 2 installed. I see that you only have SP1 installed.

Zen FAQ

Old 12-16-2008, 01:40 PM

Hi BobbyRS.

Yes,i try the SP2 ( and SP3 ) -> get error message:

Old 12-16-2008, 01:48 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Try this:

While updating your player's firmware, you may be informed that an application is preventing the firmware update. Should this occur,
  1. Start Creative MediaSource.
  2. On the menu bar, click Tools -> Settings.
  3. Click the Detector tab.
  4. Click the Enable Detector checkbox to uncheck it.
  5. Restart your computer.
  6. Try updating the firmware again.
Keep in mind, upgrading to the PFS firmware will erase all of the files on your Xtra, so make sure you have them backed-up.

Zen FAQ

Old 12-16-2008, 03:05 PM

do not work...maybe the installer do not support ati 780G chipset?

Old 12-16-2008, 09:00 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I would try it again with SP3 uninstalled. Make sure the WMP11 runtimes are not installed. Check Add/Remove programs (check the box to enable seeing updates).

Zen FAQ

Old 12-24-2008, 08:38 AM

picture

Hi again.

Rebulid my old pc (msi k8n neo platinum + 3000+ mobil A64 + 2*512 kingmax hc) and install new windows xp pro sp2,media player 10,creative driver,creative softwares and try to upgrade the firmware.disable the detection in creative organizer.
Do not work again maybe the hungarian version of windows XP the problem?

ABno

Merry Xmas!