android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Speakers

Old 02-14-2007, 07:50 PM

Default Can anyone suggest some nice speakers?

I'm looking for some semi-decent (at least!) speakers to plug my player into. I don't want to go quite as extreme as a friend who uses a full on amp with his, but I would like something. I listen to quite a range of music, and I LOVE to hear the bass in my music.

My sister is looking as well because her stereo's just died, so she wants to use her Zen V Plus instead of buying a new stereo (plus her Zen's got an alarm - jealous!!). So can anyone help a couple of lovely young twins??!!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-15-2007, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sazza_rad View Post
I'm looking for some semi-decent (at least!) speakers to plug my player into. I don't want to go quite as extreme as a friend who uses a full on amp with his, but I would like something. I listen to quite a range of music, and I LOVE to hear the bass in my music.

My sister is looking as well because her stereo's just died, so she wants to use her Zen V Plus instead of buying a new stereo (plus her Zen's got an alarm - jealous!!). So can anyone help a couple of lovely young twins??!!
So ok... Speakers for a basshead.

Could you perhaps say some kind of budget? Would probably make it easier... Also, do you want them to be portable, or does size not matter?

Heres some options:

Logitech X-230 for $35 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16836121119 very nice bass. You would like them probably.

JBL Duetal for $36 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16836101013 They won't sound as good as the Logitechs, but they are smaller and more compact.

Old 02-15-2007, 10:54 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by sazza_rad View Post

http://www.lowestonweb.com/products/...D-342D518F052C

cheap as chips and really good!

what else do you 2 need help with then??

Old 02-15-2007, 11:36 AM

http://www.acoustic-energy.co.uk/Pro...ies/Aego_M.asp

Old 02-15-2007, 11:40 AM

Ooh, those Aego speakers look mighty fine.

Old 02-15-2007, 12:42 PM

Thank you sooo much for the replies you're all lovely xx
My sister and I are going to argue the merits of both and then get grooving when we've decided and ordered!
Thanks again!

Old 02-16-2007, 10:41 AM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16836121120

this is my system for my mp3 player. its 1010 watts of pure power and bass. good bye bose, hello logitech

these babies ont let you down.

Old 02-16-2007, 10:21 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Scratch the x230 off the list. I have the 5.1 version and while its not bad for the price, there is no upper frequencies. I have to almost max the eq on the high end to get any detail.

How To Remove the Hebrew Beta firmware

Old 02-16-2007, 10:43 PM

Bose is real nice, i got some at Bj's for 75$

Old 04-06-2007, 08:50 PM

Bose is not real nice, Bose is just a rip off name like apple. low quality products, with a real big price tag.

anyways, just get Polk Audio RTI-6 bookshelf speakers with any yamaha amp. its cheap and it sounds super good.

http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/products/rti6/

Old 04-06-2007, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT72884 View Post
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16836121120

this is my system for my mp3 player. its 1010 watts of pure power and bass. good bye bose, hello logitech

these babies ont let you down.

how do you figure 1010 W? peak wattage does not mean doubling RMS wattage. peak means nothing anyways since your speakers will never reach peak.

Old 04-07-2007, 04:22 AM

It's nonsense figures anyway... 1010 Watt, my foot. Great marketing gag...

My Marantz amp has 30 Watts (real Watts) - that's more or less enough to blow the house down, paired with some properly sensitive Polk speakers. I never turn it up over a quarter. And it certainly sounds good.

Old 05-07-2007, 03:00 PM

yeah good one. 1010 watts. funny.

I think my amp is around 50 watts, can't remember exactly though. and It never goes past half volume (mainly because it would actually dammage my house) last time it actually went that loud was at my bday. I kept most of the street awake and the "150 watt" speakers lasted about 3 hours before they literaly went up in smoke.

Im sure thats a fairly powerfull system but tbh 1010 is bs. The only equiptment that really goes to that level is high quality studio or lab equiptment and even then that is just to ensure absoloute minimal distortion. IMHO, its better not to buy audio equiptment by stats. Instead try to listen to it yourself, or at least read a few good reviews.

Old 05-15-2007, 12:52 AM

Okay, it's 1000 watts. But that is rated way different than audio separates made by companies like Harmaon-Kardon, (my receiver) Onkyo, Yamaha, JVC, etc.

Their power ratings are at extremely low, less than 0.1%, distortion levels or better. Logitech's ratings are at much higher levels. Rated at 100Hz at 10% THD. You will not be able to stand, nor will the speakers, an amp driven to 10% distortion.

All that being said, for casual listening, I have 4 sets of Logitech speakers. And I love them all. I have the Z5300 on my desktop and they sound very good in our little home office.

Pattie's computer has X230s and she is very happy, but then she thinks a clock radio sounds good and she's happy that way. I love her but she has the original "tin ear".

My laptop when it's on my desk has Z4s that I got mis-marked at Office Max for $40. Really great sound in the bedroom where the laptop normally stays. And the V20 Notebook speakers for portable use with the laptop. Great for driven by USB.

Logitech speakers, even the best, are NOT high fidelity. Do they sound good for what they are and what you pay. IMO yes. I must think so, I have lots of them. But for serious music, I either use my Sennheiser HD 600 phones driven by a Headroom Little/Premium amp or my big system with an HK CDP and receiver with JBL L5 speakers. And that is also my serious Home Theater system, but I can still enjoy movies quite well in the office with the Logitechs or the Panasonic HTiB.

Just listen to them and then pick what you are happy with. You'll upgrade soon anyway.

The Dragon Calls! I must Go!
Canon EOS Rebel XT -- Canon Powershot S5IS

Old 05-15-2007, 03:58 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Actually, those things are pretty darned respectable for computer speakers.

I just looked at the specs on those things -- I'm not sure where OP got the idea that they were 1010 watts. They are 505 watts. RMS. Total power across all channels.

Here's how it breaks down:
62W/ch x4 (main left/right, rear left/right) = 248W
69W/ch x1 (center) = 69W
188W/ch x1 (subwoofer) = 188W
Total power = 505W

Of course, driving the system like that will result in a fair amount of clipping (10%THD at 1kHz). However, even if you reduce the volume to get below 1%THD, the output is still respectable: 6.2W/ch from the main and rear speakers, 6.9W out of the center channel, and 18.8W out of the subwoofer. Given the typical computer speaker setup where you're sitting a mere 2-3 feet from the front three speakers, with a sub at your feet, driving it to even these levels will prolly make your ears bleed.

The remaining specs are pretty respectable as well - particularly the s/n ratio of 93.5dB -- That's a pretty quiet amp there.

Having said that, though, I don't think I'd pay $303 for them. That's a bit pricey. These things are honestly too powerful to be confined to computer speaker use, and not powerful enough to become the center of a home entertainment system. For a little more than the cost of these powered speakers, you could pick up a Panasonic SA-XR55 digital 6-channel receiver and a decent set of speakers. This thing delivers 600W total RMS power (100W/ch x6, 0.09%THD@1kHz).

Old 06-04-2007, 06:42 PM

Great deal on those logitech x-230s @ officemax. I just picked some up 39.99.

http://www.officemax.com/max/solutio...OID=-536879914

Sound pretty darn awesome for 40 dollars.

Old 06-05-2007, 12:26 PM
Ultra Senior Member

A friend of mine at work had a set of those. They're not really all that impressive, but they're not bad either. The bass seemed a tad muddy, and the mids and highs a bit harsh IMO.

Old 06-05-2007, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenChick View Post
A friend of mine at work had a set of those. They're not really all that impressive, but they're not bad either. The bass seemed a tad muddy, and the mids and highs a bit harsh IMO.
The bass is a bit muddy, but after messing with some eq settings the mids/highs actually sound pretty decent.

Old 06-07-2007, 02:27 PM

Even though the original poster is probably long gone.....if he wanted some bass, the altecs wouldnt do him wrong with its dual subwoofer drivers. It makes some beautiful deep bass. comes with a wireless remote as well...good stuff....

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1152229204899

Besides that though, getting a 2.0 bookshelf system with a sonic t-amp also works really well. I hear good things about the insignia ns-b2111.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1138085354138

Last edited by Orange; 06-07-2007 at 02:35 PM.

Old 06-19-2007, 01:40 PM

Creative GigaWorks T20. I love these things - beautiful, solid design, easy front access, however there's no dedicated sub, but the bass performance is damn impressive anyway. I prefer a crisp midrange rather than a muddy low end anyway. Plus they come with an auxiliary cable to plug your mp3 player right in the front!

http://www.amazon.com/Creative-GigaW...2278102&sr=1-1