android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen Sleek

Old 10-30-2006, 10:02 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesayso
Hi, I followed the instructions for taking apart the sleek and I replaced the broken lcd screen. The sleek powers up and will play songs, but my son says some info is missing - it wont display track info etc. Also, when connected to the PC, the PC does not recognize the sleek. The PC "sees" something is connected, but does not recognize the player. If I put the player into "removable disk" mode, I can copy to and read from the sleek, but the PC still does not recognize the player. I have reloaded software a couple times. Is it possible I messed up the firmware? Can you help us? My son saved his money to buy this and is now very upset.
With regards to missing track information: To the best of my knowledge, the ZS gets the track information it displays from each song's ID3 tags. If your ID3 tags are incomplete or missing, it won't display. Use the provided software, or use a bulk tagger like MP3 Tag Tools, to edit and update your songs' tags. If the ZS is anything like the ZV:M, you'll have to delete the songs from your player, then re-copy the songs you edited from your hard drive back to your player for the tag changes to show.

With regards to your device not being recognized, there is a common issue with Windows XP sometimes not identifying the correct driver to use. If you've already reinstalled the Creative software and your device still isn't being recognized, then try these steps:

1. Plug your ZS to your computer.
2. Open up Windows' Device manager (right-click on "My Computer" and select "Properties". Go to the "Hardware" tab, then click "Device Manager").
3. Locate the entry for "Creative Zen Sleek" in your device list. It should appear either under "Sound, video, and game controllers" or under "USB Devices". Once you locate the entry, uninstall it.
4. Unplug your ZS and wait a few seconds.
5. Plug your ZS back in and allow the "new Hardware Wizard" to identify and install the drivers for it.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-07-2006, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesayso
Hi, I followed the instructions for taking apart the sleek and I replaced the broken lcd screen. The sleek powers up and will play songs, but my son says some info is missing - it wont display track info etc. Also, when connected to the PC, the PC does not recognize the sleek. The PC "sees" something is connected, but does not recognize the player. If I put the player into "removable disk" mode, I can copy to and read from the sleek, but the PC still does not recognize the player. I have reloaded software a couple times. Is it possible I messed up the firmware? Can you help us? My son saved his money to buy this and is now very upset.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
Well...
It boots up.
It plays songs.
It's USB-communication itself seems to work (even if the player won't be recognized thou)

I would say that the hardware is just fine.

First off, try to reset the player:
1. Enter the main menu by pressing the lower left button (the one with a "up-left" arrow) a few times, then scroll down and select "SYSTEM".
In the next menu that shows you select "reset settings" (or something similiar, don't remember thou)
Now the player should ask you if you want to reset to factory default, you should choose "yes"
With new fresh resetted settings your player should work normal again.
(I think it's because of corrupted settings the player behaves strange. I did so with my "ZEN Sleek" which had some strange behaviour)

Another thing to test is the reset button in the bottom of the player.
There is a tiny little hole in the bottom to the right of the interface connection, use a small screwdriver to push the little button behind this little tiny hole. I don't know if the playersshould be on or off while pushing this button, but try at least to hold it 10 seconds. If I'm not wrong, it's necessary to make sure the hardware reset will occur. Correct me if I'm wrong.

..but if it still doesn't work, it might be as you say. Something wrong with the firmware on it.

Try to upload a new firmware even if the player isn't recognized.
(follow instructions found on creatives site, just search for zen sleek firmware there and read the readme files that is packed with the firmware itself)
Might happen the firmware update program tells you that your player does already have the latest firmware and therefor wont update it.
In this case you have to erase the content on the harddisk somehow, or force the player into some failsafe mode.
Anyone out there have information howto do this?

Maybe it's easiest just to use some kind of a adapter to connect the harddisk itself to a PC and then "lowlevel format" it.
I think it should be possible with help of some kind of 1.8" to 2.5/3.5" adapter (those 1.8 inch drives are still using the ATA/IDE interface, right?)

Old 11-13-2006, 12:29 PM

Smile Firmware vs hard drive

I stand corrected if wrong but formatting the hard drive has nothing to do with firmware. Firmware is like a non-destructive flash drive. It is on a chip not the hard drive. All formatting the hard drive does is cleans the drives disks for new OS installation or mass storage.

Old 11-20-2006, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaCo
hot glu goin stong for me im in the middle of a trip to mexico high up in hte mountains and iv taken my zen sleek photo with me goin strong ..now the only thign that scares me is the humid air....yikes

OH btw i got a email from 3 ppl in spain they rumor that there is a store selling zen sleek batteries in spain and iv got to other from TW and korea but i dont wanna post false info so ill dig a little bit deeper

I took one apart this weekend. It looks like they are held together with double sided tape. I used Tesa double sided tape to reassemble the unit. Very clean to work with. Just cut it and place the sticky side down, then pull the cover layer when you are ready to close each section.

The instructions here were a great help.

BTW, the harddisk was not working and I found that the cable had come loose on the harddisk. Saved lots of bucks that Creative would have charged to repair/replace it.

Old 11-21-2006, 09:24 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1z2z3z4z
I stand corrected if wrong but formatting the hard drive has nothing to do with firmware. Firmware is like a non-destructive flash drive. It is on a chip not the hard drive. All formatting the hard drive does is cleans the drives disks for new OS installation or mass storage.
I don't know about the Zen Sleek, but if it like any other harddisk-based Zen, the firmware is stored on the hard drive. To put it simply, the firmware is to the Zen what Windows is to a computer.

When you format a hard drive on the Zen, all it does is clear the file allocation table, thus presenting itself as a blank drive. The OS (or the firmware) is left alone.

Using the "Reload Firmware" option in the Recovery Mode menu wipes the firmware off the hard drive, but leaves the file allocation table alone. Using this in conjunction with a format will wipe the entire disk.

Old 12-01-2006, 08:57 PM

need oled screen protector mine has a rather nasty v-shaped crack, any one have a no functioniong zen sleek photo they would be willing to sell the plastic that protects the oled?

Old 01-28-2007, 12:51 PM

Very cool Article, this should help me out alot!

One question: where can I find a set of percision screwdrivers?

Old 02-02-2007, 07:37 AM

Default HDD replacement for Zen Sleek

The hard drive in my son's Zen Sleek has died and, with nothing to lose, I was going to try amateur surgery on it - but thanks to your excellent guide, I now am confident of being able to dismantle and re-assemble it OK. The only thing I don't know is the make and model of the hard drive. I presume you do know this, having dismantled one. Please email me the info at neil.brown@rtel.com (preferred) or just post the reply here.

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-02-2007, 04:51 PM

Default HD for Zen

Toshiba MK2006GAL
You're welcome But it actually said it on the HD I've taken out of the player.
It does work - I'm running my Zen with the replaced HD.

But, another question (to ZenChick probably): Why should NOT we use the PlayForSure firmware and what should we use instead?

Old 03-17-2007, 03:16 PM

Exclamation Help!

hey, my Sleek Photo has a problem right now, it sounds like something is moving in there (there always is, but not like it is off and free inside), in other words, it sounds live a moving piece is off track, could the hard drive be messed up?, my player still plays, but it is real slow, and takes forever to start up. is this this moving piece a part of the hard drive? does anyone know what it is?

Please Help!

Old 03-21-2007, 04:53 PM

Exclamation

Help for me too!!
my daughter got a zen sleek photo for christmas and of course right after the warrenty ran out it broke. The part that is broken is where the headphone plug in and I wouldn't mind taking it apart as directed by this article, but may need some parts.
does anyone have the parts I may need or can help to fix her problem?
please.....I hate to buy a new one or pay Zen a fortune to fix something I can fix myself......I'm begging....
you can email me at ajtmomof2 at verizon.net

Old 03-25-2007, 04:40 AM

Default help

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajt1965 View Post
Help for me too!!
my daughter got a zen sleek photo for christmas and of course right after the warrenty ran out it broke. The part that is broken is where the headphone plug in and I wouldn't mind taking it apart as directed by this article, but may need some parts.
does anyone have the parts I may need or can help to fix her problem?
please.....I hate to buy a new one or pay Zen a fortune to fix something I can fix myself......I'm begging....
you can email me at ajtmomof2 at verizon.net
well if its the head phoen jack then umm its rather simple u just gotta get another jack from an old radio or something u wanna take apart that might have one and there are a TOn of websites that sell them i hope u know how to solder

Old 04-04-2007, 06:56 PM

Default Replacing battery Zen Photo Sleek

I used my Zen Photo Sleek every day for about a year and a half until the battery would no longer charge. I had bought another player just like the one I had, so we go with that, but I wanted to fix the old one as well. I used google and found your site, registered, and found the repair page. Hooray!

I listen to books on MP3 and love the Zen. I get another year and a half on the new one and hopefully several more years thanks to this site. I'm 60 and this is my first MP3 but not my last.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:38 PM

Unhappy Non working screen help!

Just recently purchased a used Zen Sleek Photo because of all the good things I have heard about them. Problem is, the screen does not work. I have tried resetting to no avail. I can download the songs and listen, but cant do anything with the screen options. Is this a relatively easy fix? Does anyone have a replacement screen that they would be willing to part with? Please help, I really would like to use this to its fullest potential!!! Please email me @kellyaj_99****** if you have any insight whatsoever!

Old 09-10-2007, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Zen User View Post
Just recently purchased a used Zen Sleek Photo because of all the good things I have heard about them. Problem is, the screen does not work. I have tried resetting to no avail. I can download the songs and listen, but cant do anything with the screen options. Is this a relatively easy fix? Does anyone have a replacement screen that they would be willing to part with? Please help, I really would like to use this to its fullest potential!!! Please email me @kellyaj_99****** if you have any insight whatsoever!
screen issue ...it could be a cable issue not connected well or your screen is bad ...replace it?...buy the same kind of player online from ebay or someplace...and replace it or..if your covered go 2 creative

Old 09-28-2007, 05:09 PM

Alright, I have a problem here that hopefully someone can shed some light on.

A few days ago my Zen Sleek Photo wouldn't start. I tried pushing in the power button and it seemed to go in a little farther than usual. I just took it apart and I noticed that the power switch had snapped off of the circuit board.

Does this seem like something a novice can fix, or am I doomed?

Old 03-01-2008, 11:40 AM

Does anyone know how to erase the firmware from the hard drive without having it in the Zen - I bought an external hard drive case for it and have it hooked up to my computer but only get 18.5 GB of 20 - I know formatting it doesn't use almost 2 GB, so most of that small amount must be in use with the firmware - I tried Paragon Partition Manager and it only recognizes the main 18.5 GB partition that I can access. I found a data overwrite program that saw 2 small partitions along with the large one, but since it was only a data overwrite program, there was no way to merge those 2 small partitions in in with the large one.

Old 03-01-2008, 12:02 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by howieday View Post
Does anyone know how to erase the firmware from the hard drive without having it in the Zen - I bought an external hard drive case for it and have it hooked up to my computer but only get 18.5 GB of 20 - I know formatting it doesn't use almost 2 GB, so most of that small amount must be in use with the firmware - I tried Paragon Partition Manager and it only recognizes the main 18.5 GB partition that I can access. I found a data overwrite program that saw 2 small partitions along with the large one, but since it was only a data overwrite program, there was no way to merge those 2 small partitions in in with the large one.
The drive isn't actually 20GB, when companies advertise capacities they use a different measurement, they're using metric, while computers use binary, so the numbers aren't gonna match up.

Old 03-01-2008, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HipHopScribe View Post
The drive isn't actually 20GB, when companies advertise capacities they use a different measurement, they're using metric, while computers use binary, so the numbers aren't gonna match up.
I understand that; I'm not trying to get the full 20GB, as I know that is impossible, but I still want to merge the two smaller hidden partitions in to the big one.

Old 03-26-2008, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal-Parts View Post
1st of all I ONLY looked over the pictures.... so sorry .... but its best to remove the mobo from the top of the unit. I have disassembled more then 20 unit. i do have parts btw.....
Hello, the touchpad on my Zen Sleek Photo has stopped working. It
powers up and plays the one playlist it is stuck in, but I can only
sometimes adjust the volume and possibly fastforward. That's about
it. Any suggests as well as how to upgrade from a 20Gb to 60Gb.
Thanks.