android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen Sleek

Old 07-10-2006, 08:35 PM

Default How to Disassemble Your Creative Zen Sleek/Photo

This is gonna look a little bland, as I converted this from an HTML document, but oh well

Contents:
  1. Introduction
  2. Materials
  3. Revealing the Screws
  4. Removing the Touchpad
  5. Removing/Disassembling the Guts
  6. Reassembly
  7. Final Thoughts
Introduction

I'm sure there's MANY people out there who want to open up their Creative Zen Sleek/Photo for various reasons (Replacing the battery, the hard drive, mods, or just for the heck of it). Well, you've come to the right place. Up until a few days ago, I was one of you, hopelessly searching Google on how to disassemble the Zen Sleek with no results. So I decided to jump into it myself. It's very straightforward, and simple.

I am NOT guaranteeing this guide to work for Creative Zen Sleek Photos, however, I believe they are exactly the same to disassemble. I own the original Zen Sleek. If anyone with a Photo can confirm they're the same, please email me (can be found at the end of this article).

Back to the guide, it's a straightforward disassembly. Just have to be a little patient and gentle. So read on and get ready!

Materials
  • Creative zen Sleek/Photo (duh)
  • Clean area to work
  • A cup or some tupperware, something of the sort to hold screws and small parts
  • Eyeglass repair kit (with the small precision screwdriver, flatheads work perfect)
  • A Razor Blade or X-Acto Knife
  • A Hot Glue gun, and some got glue sticks
  • Some fairly strong solvent, that's safe on plastics (I used Isopropyl Alcohol)
  • Lint-free cloth, coffee filters, or q-tips.
Revealing the Screws

So let's get ready to do this. To start, get your Sleek ready. This is mine.

From here, get the screen cover removed. Put something in from above it.

I used my fingernails for this part. It is held on by some adhesive of some sort, I'd like to call it hot glue, but it seems a little different. This is what you should have after.

After the cover's off, the next step of business is to remove the top cover. First, remember what the hold switch is set to, it doesn't matter if it's on or not, just remember where it is. Now, get your precision screwdriver ready, and pry off the top cover, like so:

After that's done, you'll see a metal plate with two screws on two of the corners. Remove the two screws, and try as hard as you can not to lose them . Remove the plate. Should look like this:

Next up is the bottom.

Get your precision screwdriver, and start prying on the bottom cover. Go from anywhere to the side, stick the driver in a decent amount, and gently pull up. You may need to hold it up, and then with the screwdriver pry around the other sides while one side is up. Eventually it'll pop off.

Following this is another plate with another two screws. Remove those and then remove the plate. Get this:

On to the next step.

Removing the Touchpad

Time to remove the Touchpad. This is an easy step, but I decided I'd make this it's own little section. I used my thumb for this part. Start from the bottom of the player, and gently push the touchpad away from the player. There are clips on the bottom of the touchpad at 3 of the extremes (lower touchpad, where the down arrow is; left buttons, centered between the rewind and back buttons; right buttons, centered between the fast-forward and options button). Pull up on the bottom until you hear the clips give. Then, take your screwdriver, and place it to the top of the touchpad, under the "Creative" logo area of the casing. Tilt the driver's handle forward, and you'll feel the touchpad slip out a tad. There are two clip-like hinges at the top. Here's the process in pictures:

Removing/Disassembling the Guts

Now comes the easy stuff. This is what you should have now:

Grab the player, and ease the "guts" (logic board, HDD, battery) down. Just press it down from the top.

A view of the guts from the top...

...And from the bottom.

Next is to take out the battery. Just follow the battery's wires to the logic board and pull gently on the connector. No pictures of this.

Now you want to take the ribbon cable off the HDD. Gently pull it away from the HDD, you may need to rock it left and right.

]

Now's to removing the HDD. Grab it, thumb on one side, index on the other. Rotate back and forth, and try lifting the bottom and top, alternating. Eventually, you'll feel it loosen up more and more as you go on, just keep going until it finally comes off. You'll see it's held on by some tape.

Finally, some views of the logic board (the HDD and battery was put back on for the "on" pics).

Congrats, you've completely disassembled your Creative Zen Sleek/Photo. Now's for the reassembly .

Reassembly

This is straightforward. Do everything you did before in reverse order, for the most part. Here's my process. First, attach the HDD back on to the rear of the logic board. Plug in the ribbon cable. Plug in the battery. There, your guts are reassembled. The next part is the trickiest for me. After this step, I put the screen cover back on the player. Set aside the guts, get the screen cover and the casing. Wipe down the screen cover's inside VERY WELL. Here's where I used the alcohol and cloth. Just wipe everything down. This is also a great time to remove all the other glue residue on every piece of the player. I used my finger to rub off all the glue residue, or the screwdriver in small areas I couldn't reach. Anyway, back to the screen. Here's what you'll have:

Wipe down the screen well, again. Apply hot glue to the top and the bottom, in a straight thin line, and make sure it's still molten when you reapply the screen.

That last pic was of my first glue application. It's on VERY THICK there. Don't apply it that thick, just make sure you put on enough to block from any dust getting in the screen (My player did this before I ever took off the screen cover). Press it on, and hold it in firmly for a 30 seconds or a minute or so. Now, wipe down the LCD on the logic board, and slide the guts into the casing. I went in from the top, and slid down, but it works either way. Now, press the touchpad back in. It'll snap when it's done. Make sure to apply pressure to each of the clips, the left, right, and the bottom. I applied a little glue to the corners of the touchpad to hold it in place, mine was curling before I disassembled. Now, swivel the bottom plate in, and screw it in. Smear a very little amount of glue on the bottom plastic piece, and press it in until it clicks. Insert the top plate, screw it in, and then get the plastic plate prepped. This is where you want to remember where your hold switch is on. Set the hold slider on the plastic plate to match the switch on the logic board. Apply a little glue to the plastic plate, and press it in until it clicks. Done!

Final Thoughts

So this is the completed guide. I think this should cover anything you'll need to disassemble/reassemble your Zen Sleek. One thing I'd like to mention is the plastic clips on every plastic piece (top cover, bottom cover, touchpad). They tend to break easy... almost all of the clips I have on each of the pieces broke. However, the pieces still fit in, they're a tight fit. The glue helps keep them in as well.

Last edited by SolidxSnake; 08-27-2008 at 12:32 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-10-2006, 09:58 PM
ABI Founder

Well Done...

Here is a very helpful tip:

Use a hair dryer and heat up the plastic peices you are about ot pull off. It will soften the glue and come off easier. Additionally if you keep the glue in place you dont have to use the glue gun, they will just stick back in place.

I tried this and the glue is just heavy duty double stick tape. If you want you can replace the glue with heavy duty double stick tape if it gets wrecked. I am sure 3M makes somthing identical.

Last edited by EnzoTen; 07-11-2006 at 12:03 AM.

Old 07-10-2006, 11:27 PM

THANNNKKKKsssss

Old 07-13-2006, 03:08 PM

Thank you for this guide. Not that I have any intention of taking my sleek photo apart anytime soon, but it's good to know that I have the option if I ever need to. One question...is the battery something standard than can be replaced? Or is it some proprietary thing that we'll never be able to buy separately?

Old 07-13-2006, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeber
Thank you for this guide. Not that I have any intention of taking my sleek photo apart anytime soon, but it's good to know that I have the option if I ever need to. One question...is the battery something standard than can be replaced? Or is it some proprietary thing that we'll never be able to buy separately?

I've no clue actually, looks proprietary to me. However, it's removable. I'm sure you could find a battery of the same rating and replace it.

Old 07-14-2006, 01:26 AM

ya thats the prob i had i wanna be able to replace the battery wen the tiem comes down to it and ya about the tape heating it up will work //and yall be careful when appling the glu to the screen cover casue if u get the veiwing area dirty it will annoy the sh!t out of ya ..well it did for me i learned the hard way

Old 07-14-2006, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaCo
ya thats the prob i had i wanna be able to replace the battery wen the tiem comes down to it and ya about the tape heating it up will work //and yall be careful when appling the glu to the screen cover casue if u get the veiwing area dirty it will annoy the sh!t out of ya ..well it did for me i learned the hard way

Yeah. Hot-glue's miraculous in the fact that it comes off SO easy, but it'll keep a strong bond if you don't tamper with it. That's why I reccommended hot glue.

Old 07-15-2006, 10:35 PM

Thumbs up goin good

hot glu goin stong for me im in the middle of a trip to mexico high up in hte mountains and iv taken my zen sleek photo with me goin strong ..now the only thign that scares me is the humid air....yikes

OH btw i got a email from 3 ppl in spain they rumor that there is a store selling zen sleek batteries in spain and iv got to other from TW and korea but i dont wanna post false info so ill dig a little bit deeper

Old 07-30-2006, 09:48 PM

1st of all I ONLY looked over the pictures.... so sorry .... but its best to remove the mobo from the top of the unit. I have disassembled more then 20 unit. i do have parts btw.....

Old 07-30-2006, 09:56 PM

ok i read the touch pad removing part... I always push the 2 black tads in with a flap head.

Old 08-06-2006, 07:12 PM

I see. I wasn't aware of this, i opened that up by improvising on the spot... if it seemed too forceful i didn't do it

Old 08-15-2006, 10:19 PM

Default Increase HD capacity?

Is there any spare room to upgrade to the larger hard drive capacities? What is the thickness of the OEM hard drive? 7mm or 5mm? Would an 8mm drive fit? If 8mm fits, then could get 60GB drive as replacement!!

Old 08-17-2006, 08:29 PM

about the HD ...would u not need to write special firm ware to would see the whole 60 gigs¿ just a thought but 60 gig zen sleek photo would be leet

Old 08-19-2006, 07:39 PM

No, probably not. I have increased the HD size in Zen Xtra to 100gb, and in Zen Touch to 60GB. I just have to reload the latest firmware upon initial startup of the devices. Creative has told me that there is no firmware limit to the number of songs their devices can index.

Old 08-25-2006, 12:51 AM

First of all Great job!!! Fantastic detail on the pictures!!

Having reapired many of these myself let me give you a few tips on this:

1) You do not have to remove any of the top nor the screen cover. The screws under the top cover only hold on the plate. Simply remove the other parts as shown and slide the whole "guts" out the bottom. The screen cover breaks very easily at the top corners due to the adhesive and "pins" in the corners.

2) When removing the bottom cover it is easier to start at the back corners. The plastic has notches cut out at these corners so you can get your screwdriver under it easier.

3) Unreal-Parts is correct. Remove the keypad by depressing the 2 tabs inside which clip the keyboard in place. Trying to slide the keyboard may damage the keyboard connector.

4) When sliding the "guts" out be very careful not to scratch the screen. The small metal support pieces above and below the keyboard are easily bent and can scratch the screen very easily due to sharp edged and burrs.

5) If replace the hard drive without disconnecting the battery (not reccomended) you MUST press the reset switch before you power the player back on. Evidently the player keeps the library in memory.

I also have parts for these!

Old 08-25-2006, 05:00 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Very nicely done article!

*stickied*

Old 10-14-2006, 10:16 AM

Default Help Please

SolidXSnake - Do you have a more clear pic of the front of the board? I have a unit i am trying to fix and used your awesome instructions to take apart and find what piece is loose. I found the piece ( a little black rectangle) and i am hoping that sottering it back in place will get me past the recovery screen only problem. Replacing the entire board (if i could find one) may be out of my technical ability as i am trying to learn to repair as more of a hobby. The other problem is that i have a photo & i am guessing yours is a plain sleek. My board is arranged differently than yours. Your screen appears larger than mine. This is also making ID the piece location tough. Does anyone know where to purchase the piece in question if it is unusuable? Are these pretty much universal in electronics (ie. Radio Shack).

I attached some pictures. 1 is of the layout of my board. 1 is the piece that broke off (in relation to my thumb). The other pi is where i think it may belong. Top center just under red tab. The metal reflects in teh picture. Sorry for cell phone pic quality. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1014061004.jpg (26.4 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg 1014061002.jpg (47.8 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 1014061006.jpg (48.5 KB, 37 views)

Old 10-22-2006, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geraldtr
SolidXSnake - Do you have a more clear pic of the front of the board? I have a unit i am trying to fix and used your awesome instructions to take apart and find what piece is loose. I found the piece ( a little black rectangle) and i am hoping that sottering it back in place will get me past the recovery screen only problem. Replacing the entire board (if i could find one) may be out of my technical ability as i am trying to learn to repair as more of a hobby. The other problem is that i have a photo & i am guessing yours is a plain sleek. My board is arranged differently than yours. Your screen appears larger than mine. This is also making ID the piece location tough. Does anyone know where to purchase the piece in question if it is unusuable? Are these pretty much universal in electronics (ie. Radio Shack).

I attached some pictures. 1 is of the layout of my board. 1 is the piece that broke off (in relation to my thumb). The other pi is where i think it may belong. Top center just under red tab. The metal reflects in teh picture. Sorry for cell phone pic quality. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Looks like an IC fell off the board. I'm not sure on what kind of IC, or if it's widely available. There should be some numbers/letters on the top telling you the model of the IC, and with those you should be able to find spec sheets on them, or better yet, a distributor that sells them. Try googling the IC's numbers. Mouser and Digi-Key are great electronics sites that will possibly carry what you need.

Thx for the kind words and corrections guys.

Old 10-27-2006, 07:06 AM

Default problem with a sleek

Hi, I followed the instructions for taking apart the sleek and I replaced the broken lcd screen. The sleek powers up and will play songs, but my son says some info is missing - it wont display track info etc. Also, when connected to the PC, the PC does not recognize the sleek. The PC "sees" something is connected, but does not recognize the player. If I put the player into "removable disk" mode, I can copy to and read from the sleek, but the PC still does not recognize the player. I have reloaded software a couple times. Is it possible I messed up the firmware? Can you help us? My son saved his money to buy this and is now very upset.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Old 10-30-2006, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesayso
Hi, I followed the instructions for taking apart the sleek and I replaced the broken lcd screen. The sleek powers up and will play songs, but my son says some info is missing - it wont display track info etc. Also, when connected to the PC, the PC does not recognize the sleek. The PC "sees" something is connected, but does not recognize the player. If I put the player into "removable disk" mode, I can copy to and read from the sleek, but the PC still does not recognize the player. I have reloaded software a couple times. Is it possible I messed up the firmware? Can you help us? My son saved his money to buy this and is now very upset.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
Kind of lonely in here. Notice the echo?.................