android
Old 08-27-2006, 12:42 PM
ABI Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiven
P.S: could we keep the anti-mac sentiment to a minimum? i'm here for information not a flamewar
Its anything but ipod not anything but mac.

It may even be a good idea to start a Mac/Linux subforum here.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-27-2006, 04:53 PM

Wink m3u script algorithm

Quote:
Originally Posted by adscorp
I am conpetent at php, so i can make a web based tool that converts the files based from your script. Is it possible for you to define the variables so i know where you are getting them from?
Well, I still think it'd probably be much faster to adjust the existing script (replace the /bin/gawk in the first line with whatever "which awk" returns (at the command line) and it should be golden), but algorithmically here's what needs to happen:

1) Write the header to a buffer
2) Write each file path (relative to the Sansa's 2nd tier directory/folder structure) with backslashes replacing forward slashes
3) Write out the buffer to a file with NULL characters between each character from the buffer

Also, all line terminations in the buffer should be DOS style, i.e. carriage-return followed by linefeed (CRLF or \r\n)

Cheers

Edit: Oops .. just remembered .. during step 2 you need to prepend the string "HARP, MUSIC" ahead of the path to the file.

Old 08-27-2006, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnzoTen
Its anything but ipod not anything but mac.

It may even be a good idea to start a Mac/Linux subforum here.
An interesting thought, and I appriciate it - but maybe it should be an MSC section instead. Once we get a firmware under our belt, most of our problems are performing the "usual functions" using MSC alone; video conversion, picture loading, playlist creation, etc. These "alternate management mechanisms" can also apply to Windows users who don't want to use the Sansa software or WMP.

We'll try and avoid telling people to load linux on a seperate partition in order to use the bash, perl, awk & sed scripts that arise to magically solve some of the issues above..

bburge

Old 12-09-2006, 02:17 PM

Default MacOS: Volume Not Listed #2

Hello,

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpclay View Post
Brilliant - that did it! I only got the e260 about three weeks ago and only used it in MTP mode. Here's a small follow-up (no big deal - I can add music and that's the important thing!) Every time I disconnect from the iMac, the e260 shows "System Restart" and "Rebuilding Database" I assume that is normal?

THANKS AGAIN!!!
I got the same issue when connecting the sansa to the mac. Regardless what USB Mode is set, it does not show up as a volume on Mac OS. Also the "/Volumes" does not contain any additional device. I've tried it with two different Macs (PPC iMac, PPC iBook latest Tiger OS-Version) with no success.

Any suggestions? Other MP3 Player where mounted without problem on those systems. Probably I should resend the sansa to amazon..

Regards,

Thomas

BTW: I have not found anywhere a statement from Sandisk that the Mac is supported by the e200 series - always "requirements: at least Windows XP.."

Old 12-10-2006, 11:33 AM

Default No Access on Mac

To close my last posting: The (very fast ) sandisk support mailed me, that the Mac is not supported, but that (MSC) USB might work on the Mac, too.

I had no success with the e280 model on two different Macs so I sent it back to amazon. Nevertheless its a very fine kind of hardware for windows XP users.

Regards,

Thomas

Old 12-10-2006, 12:14 PM

why did you convert to MAC???omg they stink so bad...well anyways i feel sorry for you

Old 12-10-2006, 05:25 PM

Ignoring idiotic trolls...

You should search/check the Firmware sub-forum for some more Mac info. It worked fine with Mac OS X until the 1.02.xx series of firmwares.

I haven't found a solution/workaround for it. Attempting the Sansa on the mac (and subsequent failure) also renders that USB port on my mac unable to mount other USB filesystems until I reboot my powerbook (PPC).

bburge

Old 12-11-2006, 12:55 PM

sorry i just dont like macs

Old 12-11-2006, 01:06 PM

Thumbs down

I can once again confirm that my E200 worked perfectly under OSX until the last firmware release or two.

A device that's supposed to have a mode that works like a USB storage drive has no excuse to not work on a particular platform. As it is I can occasionally get it to mount. Try plugging it in before you log in, then logging in. It may have just been random but those are the only times that I've had it work lately. It often disables my USB also

Old 12-11-2006, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andcheese View Post
An interesting thought, and I appriciate it - but maybe it should be an MSC section instead. Once we get a firmware under our belt, most of our problems are performing the "usual functions" using MSC alone; video conversion, picture loading, playlist creation, etc. These "alternate management mechanisms" can also apply to Windows users who don't want to use the Sansa software or WMP.

We'll try and avoid telling people to load linux on a seperate partition in order to use the bash, perl, awk & sed scripts that arise to magically solve some of the issues above..
There are at least two vastly divergent areas we're talking about here, that maybe should be on separate forums.

For a lot of Mac users I'd guess (I'm not one) they'd be mainly interested in Q&A about solving Mac-specific issues about MSC connections, transferring music etc. in the Mac interface, and Mac software to help with those tasks. That wouldn't apply to any Windows users - beyond the basic principle of a generic MSC protocol and you plug it into a USB port, I don't think there'd by much cross-platform relevance.

Unix and Perl scripts would interest a much different audience. I expect it would be mostly Unix/Linux users who participate, but there'd also be that minority of Mac users who actually use its Unix command line capability, and a few Windows users who install Windows implementations of Unix commands & Perl. Whatever platform the people use, the common interest would be scripting to use with the Sansa.

Old 12-11-2006, 04:35 PM

Dude, you're responding to content that is 3 and a half months old... My post was before there was more than one forum...

It was a mistake for the person to come along and attach to it. There is newer content regarding this in the Firmware sub-forum.

Yes, I am a Mac user who uses it because it's unix - I couldn't give a .... about the old style, historical, Mac issues. If they drop, or hinder access to, the unix underneath - it'll be on ebay so fast the battery won't even be cold...

bburge

Old 12-13-2006, 07:00 PM

Getting the firmwares shouldn't be a problem, even on a mac. All you need to do is look around the forum. There is a firmware dump somewhere....

Old 12-28-2006, 10:16 PM

i was just wondering if anyone knew how to place the photos into the sansa yet

Old 12-28-2006, 10:25 PM
Zune Moderator

The media converter does that

Old 12-28-2006, 10:39 PM

so you're not suppose to just drag and drop into the photo volume? because that's what i'm doing and..its not showing up when i go look

Old 12-28-2006, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruleworld View Post
The media converter does that
Considering the Subject of the thread is "Sansa e200 and Mac?" I would have to guess that he's talking about getting pictures on to a Sansa from a Mac.

Someone thought he was having success or going to, but that was some time ago and I haven't heard anything since then. I think you might find it in the Firmware forum, but I'm not sure. Do a few searches, I can't remember what the subject was - sorry.

I'm waiting for a new firmware to see if I can get access again with the mac. Until then, I enjoy the music I put on it before the 1.02.xx series of firmware came out. I may downgrade to the last 1.01 at some point, but I've got about 900 songs on it, so I'm OK for now...

bburge

Old 12-28-2006, 11:22 PM

ah thanks muchos greatly appreciated!i'll just use my friends PC to place the pictures then ..if i figure out how to do that.

Old 01-12-2007, 03:35 AM

Default a script that works!!

Hey guys,

I just spent the last few days working my ass off to get a working script to sync the sansa e-series player with iTunes (on mac only ... sorry).

I had never touched applescript before this ever + I did not know about the format for the playlist so took me longer that I'd imagined but regardless ...

http://www.ridesforall.com/archit/sa...nes/index.html

hopefully it helps some of ya!

Regards,

Archit

Old 01-12-2007, 03:47 AM

Very nice job arch. Im sure all the Mac users with E200s will be very happy.

Old 01-12-2007, 01:23 PM

I'm not sure if anyone has said this because i didnt feel like reading through all the posts.

but if you do have updating firware and such theres a program called bootcamp i believe wihch allows you to run windows on a mac.

mac...*shudders*.