android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > SanDisk Sansa > Sansa e200 > Sansa e200 Hacks & Mods

Old 06-04-2007, 07:22 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Most likely the libusb filter wasn't installed properly. Try reinstalling libusb-win32 again and see if it works

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-04-2007, 01:20 PM

chrisjs did u try to c if it worked?

Old 06-04-2007, 05:44 PM

I tried re-installing libsub twice, to no avail. The only thing it recognizes is my keyboard.

Old 06-04-2007, 06:03 PM

Most people end up needing to do it in Linux. Try Knoppix, it won't make any unnecessary changes to your computer.

Old 06-04-2007, 07:20 PM

Thats my other problem. I can't get the Knoppix to load. I downloaded all of the stuff for it, but being the newb that I am, I have no idea what to do with it.

Old 06-04-2007, 07:35 PM

Default e200tool does not detect my sansa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zivan56 View Post
WARNING: This may brick your player even more, so only use it as a last resort. ONLY USE IT ON THE ORIGINAL e2xx (non-R)

Well after seeing quite a number of people brick their Sansa by putting random files in recovery mode, I decided to write a guide on how to fix it. All credits go to MrH for writing this program and figuring everything out. Also to Bagder for most of the steps. DO NOT FOLLOW THIS IF YOU CAN ACCESS RECOVERY MODE, ONLY USE THIS IF YOU JUST GET A BLUE RING NO MATTER WHAT.

First, you need to get e200tool from here. Download the Windows binary and extract it somewhere (say c:\e200tool). Then, download and install libusb-win32 (you need to install the driver/filter). Then, get the rom file for your player (this works on e200 and c200 (probably e200r as well if they ever release a rom file)). The rom file can be obtained in many ways, just do a search for a firmware zip file which includes a mi4 and rom file. It is usually called BL_SD_boardSupportSD.rom
You will need to extract the rom file from wherever you got it, and put it in c:\e200tool as well.

Now, go to start->run and type cmd and press enter
type: cd c:\e200tool
Now, put your Sansa in manufacturing mode:
1. Make sure it is off
2. Turn on the lock at the top
3. Hold centre button (keep holding it)
4. Plug the player in
It will prompt you to install drivers, just ignore this.
5. Release the centre button, press and hold rec button while running:
e200tool recover BL_SD_boardSupportSD.rom (or whatever the .rom filename is)
According to MrH:

The tool should tell you when it is done.
You should now have a new disk where you can put the above downloaded rom and mi4 file.

If the e200tool program fails to find the device, it may possibly have a severe problem which cannot be fixed by this. Or, it may be in a USB port which is not functioning properly.

Let me know if this works for you.
hi! I followed all the steps but the e200tool still does not detect my sansa not even in port 0781:0720 or 0b70:0003 (previously I create the inf-files with the inf-wizard.exe file,windows installs the device perfectly)
I tried using other usb-ports but it makes no diference.
sorry for my limited use of english

Old 06-05-2007, 11:58 AM

Check Device Manager and see if a USB Device or PortalPlayer device appears under Universal Serial Bus Controllers. If it doesn't appear in some capacity, e200tool has nothing to talk to.

You may need to use Knoppix (linux) instead.

ShirtGolem: Read the documentation on booting and running Knoppix, and get a basic understanding of how it works. Learn how to use apt get to install libusb, and how to navigate at the terminal. You're going to have a good amount of self-educating ahead of you, but the ability to use *nix is a useful skill.

Old 06-05-2007, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyj View Post
Check Device Manager and see if a USB Device or PortalPlayer device appears under Universal Serial Bus Controllers. If it doesn't appear in some capacity, e200tool has nothing to talk to.

You may need to use Knoppix (linux) instead.

ShirtGolem: Read the documentation on booting and running Knoppix, and get a basic understanding of how it works. Learn how to use apt get to install libusb, and how to navigate at the terminal. You're going to have a good amount of self-educating ahead of you, but the ability to use *nix is a useful skill.
the device appears in the device manager but e200tool canīt find the sansa.
I tried to use knoppix but I dont know how to install libusb,I also tried installing SUDO but nothing happens.

Old 06-05-2007, 04:11 PM

you don't install sudo, it's there already.

try apt get libusb (might be apt-get libusb) and then, cd into the e200tool directory and type make (you'll need to extract it if you haven't already.) Once that's done, type ./e200tool and it should run.

Old 06-07-2007, 07:22 PM

hi sorry 2 anoy who but my sansa e250 is bricked and i downloaded etool and lib-usb but i dont knoe how to install the filter bin tar thing

Old 06-08-2007, 11:37 AM

Start googling stuff and you'll get plenty of information.

It's not a process that can be broken down to the last minute detail. My answer is this: download Knoppix, learn to use it, and THEN, once you've gotten that down, you can try e200tool.

Old 07-01-2007, 04:34 PM
Ultra Senior Member

hmmm..... I just thought that since you can now unbrick players, you could buy them off of ebay, unbrick them and then sell them. Make yourself some quick cash

Old 07-01-2007, 04:35 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Only do this if it's not illegal. STAY OUT OF TROUBLE!

Old 07-01-2007, 09:06 PM
Ultra Senior Member

*sigh* Unbricking Sansas isn't illegal.

Old 07-02-2007, 09:23 AM

I bought a broken bicycle for just a few bucks when I was a teenager and fixed it. The former owner (another kid) wanted it back after that. Threatened to call the police and everything.

Guess who still owns the bike?

The only way any part of this would be remotely illegal would be if you were using copyrighted software to do so without the appropriate licensing. e200tool is free, and SanDisk gives out firmware images for updating/fixing the players anyway (if you own the device, you're essentially entitled to the firmware for it.) Ergo, it's perfectly legal. Unless you start selling the fixed players as new or try to state that SanDisk covers them under warranty, I doubt they care in the least about what you do with a busted e200. It'd be like AOL getting angry because someone used one of their CDs as a coaster - and who hasn't?

Last edited by kennyj; 07-02-2007 at 09:24 AM. Reason: I forgot Poland.

Old 07-02-2007, 06:23 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Well, I don't seem to get AOL CDs any more, so I haven't used them as a coaster :P The way I figure, SanDisk would actually like people to repair their Sansa if they can, as it reduces the frustration of email/phone support, and saves them money from having to RMA it (paying for shipping, the new Sansa, etc)

Old 07-03-2007, 09:30 AM

The only problem is, if someone tries to fix it and they can't, and they void the warranty in the process, then they end up with an unhappy customer. Hence, they aren't likely to provide *all* the tools, since some can break a player if used incorrectly. Then again, if a problem was caused by something that voids the warranty in the first place, then they probably don't care - it's not their problem anymore. Sucks, but c'est la vie.

Old 07-03-2007, 09:41 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Who is 'they'? MrH (IIRC, sorry if I didn't) created e200tool, not SanDisk. The tool can't go any more low level than it already is. AFAIK, when SanDisk gets an RMA'd item, they just toss it out (or was that another company?) so as far as I can see, they wouldn't really care.

Old 07-03-2007, 12:11 PM

They = SanDisk. What I'm referring to is that they wouldn't care if you use e200tool unless you bricked a player further with it and then asked for a replacement.

I'm quite familiar with the tool myself, actually.

Old 07-08-2007, 09:35 PM

Thank Zivan56 so much for the instruction, i follow 5 steps and then my comp recognize my sansa E260 as 16mb in its recovery mode.
After that i follow the instruction at the link http://daniel.haxx.se/sansa/e200tool.html. i copy both i2c-e260.bin and pp5022.mi4 to the root of the sansa. Then wait until the system restart by unplug the usb cable.
I wait for my sansa come back from the hell. However, I goes to another status. All i get now is a died player, i wont respond after i press the power key instead of blue wheel as before.
After that i try one more time with e200tool, below is the log after running:

"/[root@localhost e200tool]# ./e200tool recover BL_SD_BOARDSUPPORTSD.ROM
e200tool v0.2.3-alpha (c) by MrH 2006, 2007
Searching for device 0781:0720 ... 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0 not found!
Searching for device 0b70:0003 ... found!
Initializing USB stub (4780 bytes) ... done!
Writing 'BL_SD_BOARDSUPPORTSD.ROM' to address 0x10600000
Searching for device 6666:e200 ... 9 found!
Write at 0x10660198
Write done!
Running from address 0x10600000
Searching for device 6666:e200 ... found!
Execution started!
/"

Unfortunately, the comp can not recognize my sansa as usb disk as it did before. I don't know how to do next. I need help from ABI.
Pls help me because i quite new with this stuff.
Thank you.