android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > SanDisk Sansa > Sansa e200 > Sansa e200 Hacks & Mods

Old 02-10-2007, 01:13 AM

Quote:
WARNING: This may brick your player even more
Tell me, is it possible to "brick" it even more?

Doesn't bricked mean thats you can get more use out of it by using it as a brick?
I don't think that its possible to brick it more unless you physically change it into a brick

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-10-2007, 01:20 AM

wele messing this up means even if you pic short the firmware at the factory its pooched

Old 02-19-2007, 11:45 PM

I can confirm that the dumping utility does not work in windows with the R model. It does, however work in linux (knoppix). I was successful in dumping the boot loader (plus padding) wasn't sure what to do next, attempting to do a keyscan, the program spit out a possible key, however, when i tried to decrypt the mi4 file, it proved to be a bad key.

I do have the dump file, I found what looks like the end, but I have no idea where the beggining should be. After trimming a bunch of junk from the bottom and rerunning keyscan, I got another possible key... also a bad one.

Last edited by KptKill; 02-20-2007 at 12:16 AM. Reason: hmm this isnt VB here

Old 02-21-2007, 11:54 PM

Why isnt it working for my e250 can anybody help me

Old 02-25-2007, 12:27 PM

It doesnt work with the latest cygwin, don't bother unless you have a real linux system. Perhaps I should start a recovery service

Old 03-05-2007, 05:43 PM

It does work. You probably are trying to compile it/use it yourself without libusb

Old 03-07-2007, 04:35 AM

Unhappy Help - can not recover e270

Hi all,
In a middle of music listenning, my machine stops working, and I got the"dancing sandisk bug" image. after a restart, nothing works, just the image of Sandisk.

I got into a recovery mode, put an MI4 file, and still nothing works. I did it again, and did a firmware update but no results.

I don;t know what is the problem. My question is if I need to go into manufacturing mode and do all the e200tool activities, even that I can work in a recovery mode, or should I put also a ROM file into the 16MB partition and try that.

There are many alerts not to put in the 16MB folder, any file other than the Mi4 file, however it is not working.

Please help,

Thank you so much,

Itzik Sadeh

Old 03-09-2007, 01:07 AM

Hello and sorry for my English...

My player is also broken and i can't access the recovery mode, so I am trying to use e200tool to recover it, but I don't know exactly how to use it.
When I try to run the e200tool the output is:
Code:
sudo ./e200tool recover  BL_SD_boardSupportSD.rom
e200tool v0.0.6-alpha (c) by MrH 2006, 2007
Searching for device 0781:0720 ... found!
Initializing USB stub (3460 bytes) ... done!
BL_SD_boardSupportSD.rom: No such file or directory
I don't know which file to recover, and as much as I know, the last firmware upgrade before my sansa broke was with this file and another file (pp5022.mi4)

I use Linux since running it on Windows XP doesn't help at all - The tool doesn't recognize my player.
Please help!

Old 03-09-2007, 12:08 PM

Default What if this still does not work

zivan56,

I got into this by having a corrupt database, and the player not booting. I tried putting a downloaded BL_SD_boardSupportSD.rom file (mine is an e260) onto the recovery partition (16MB...) and then using the "Safely Remove Hardware" under XP. This brought up a screen on the player saying that it was reading the ROM, then installing the ROM (which took 33 seconds according to the display), then rebooted. Since then, the only thing that shows any sign of life is the blue ring.

I have tried this on my XP machine at the cmd prompt as well as through cygwin. In both cases, the results are:

$ ./e200tool.exe recover BL_SD_boardSupportSD.rom
Searching for device 0781:0720 ... 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0 not found!
Searching for device 0b70:0003 ... 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0 not found!

This pattern repeats 5 more times under cygwin, but not under cmd.

I did download MrHs BL_SD_BoardSupportSD.rom and ran the e200tool from a directory containing said file.

I have tried other USB ports on the same pc as well as powering off the device (holding menu for 15 seconds until the blue ring turns off) and replugging with the "center" button dispressed (to put me into Manufacturing mode). I have tried holding the record, holding the center button, holding both, reseting, etc. all to no avail. I assume that this means that I have now COMPLETELY bricked my player, but thought I would post a quick message to see if there were any other thoughts.

BTW, I do have a true Linux (fedora) box at the house that I can try if that is necessary. If I went that route, however, I would need some help with the compile of the e200tool source (my programming experience is with FORTRAN, not C). Baring this, I am not afraid to pull the unit apart and "short" some pins if that is necessary.

Something tells me that SanDisk won't help at this point! Thanks for any help...

Old 03-10-2007, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysadeh View Post
Hi all,
In a middle of music listenning, my machine stops working, and I got the"dancing sandisk bug" image. after a restart, nothing works, just the image of Sandisk.

I got into a recovery mode, put an MI4 file, and still nothing works. I did it again, and did a firmware update but no results.

I don;t know what is the problem. My question is if I need to go into manufacturing mode and do all the e200tool activities, even that I can work in a recovery mode, or should I put also a ROM file into the 16MB partition and try that.

There are many alerts not to put in the 16MB folder, any file other than the Mi4 file, however it is not working.

Please help,

Thank you so much,

Itzik Sadeh
You need to name an old firmware priBootloader.rom and firmware.mi4 in order to be able to do a downgrade and get rid of the new firmware.

Old 03-10-2007, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avba0 View Post
Hello and sorry for my English...

My player is also broken and i can't access the recovery mode, so I am trying to use e200tool to recover it, but I don't know exactly how to use it.
When I try to run the e200tool the output is:
Code:
sudo ./e200tool recover  BL_SD_boardSupportSD.rom
Searching for device 0781:0720 ... found!
I don't know which file to recover, and as much as I know, the last firmware upgrade before my sansa broke was with this file and another file (pp5022.mi4)

I use Linux since running it on Windows XP doesn't help at all - The tool doesn't recognize my player.
Please help!
Kind of obvious, is it not?
If the file above isn't in that directory, of course it will give you that error...

Old 03-10-2007, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroag View Post
zivan56,

I got into this by having a corrupt database, and the player not booting. I tried putting a downloaded BL_SD_boardSupportSD.rom file (mine is an e260) onto the recovery partition (16MB...) and then using the "Safely Remove Hardware" under XP. This brought up a screen on the player saying that it was reading the ROM, then installing the ROM (which took 33 seconds according to the display), then rebooted. Since then, the only thing that shows any sign of life is the blue ring.

I have tried this on my XP machine at the cmd prompt as well as through cygwin. In both cases, the results are:

$ ./e200tool.exe recover BL_SD_boardSupportSD.rom

This pattern repeats 5 more times under cygwin, but not under cmd.

I did download MrHs BL_SD_BoardSupportSD.rom and ran the e200tool from a directory containing said file.

I have tried other USB ports on the same pc as well as powering off the device (holding menu for 15 seconds until the blue ring turns off) and replugging with the "center" button dispressed (to put me into Manufacturing mode). I have tried holding the record, holding the center button, holding both, reseting, etc. all to no avail. I assume that this means that I have now COMPLETELY bricked my player, but thought I would post a quick message to see if there were any other thoughts.

BTW, I do have a true Linux (fedora) box at the house that I can try if that is necessary. If I went that route, however, I would need some help with the compile of the e200tool source (my programming experience is with FORTRAN, not C). Baring this, I am not afraid to pull the unit apart and "short" some pins if that is necessary.

Something tells me that SanDisk won't help at this point! Thanks for any help...
You probably need to use Linux for it to work. I guess the usb library has issues with certain devices or something.

Old 03-10-2007, 03:15 PM

For all the people with problems regarding the device not being detected, make sure you have install libusb-win32, as it will not work without it.
http://libusb-win32.sourceforge.net/#installation

Old 03-11-2007, 09:59 PM

I had to do it in Knoppix even after installing libusb-win32, maybe my Windows install is just retarded or something... but I was indeed able to resurrect an e260 what wasn't booting past manufacturing mode no matter what. I found myself building libusb from source to make e200tool compile (didn't think to just try apt get until afterwards; building from source is an old habit) and I also changed line 59 in e200tool.c, #define E200_TIMEOUT 1000, to #define E200_TIMEOUT 9000. My problem was that the tool was randomly timing out while waiting for the player to finish writing something; not sure if my change really helped or if it was just a coincidence that it worked that one time. In either case, the player now appears to work.

Old 03-13-2007, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zivan56 View Post
If the file above isn't in that directory, of course it will give you that error...
The BL file was in the same directory, but it doesn't matter, I tried to run it from another directroy and eventually I fixed my player

Now, about using e200tool from Windows XP:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zivan56 View Post
For all the people with problems regarding the device not being detected, make sure you have install libusb-win32, as it will not work without it.
I followed all the steps; Corrently I have the filter and the device drivers installed, the test program successfuly recognize my sansa and I can see the details of my player in the test program:
Code:
bus/device  idVendor/idProduct
bus-0/\\.\libusb0-0001--0x0781-0x0720     0781/0720
- Manufacturer : SanDisk
- Product      : Tango Digital Media Platform
  wTotalLength:         32
  bNumInterfaces:       1
However, when I try to use the tool, it cannot find the device:
Code:
My player is now fixed (thanks to MrH and Daniel), but I don't want to be depended on linux in the future...

Old 03-13-2007, 02:39 PM

I actually had to uninstall libusb from Windows, because it stopped MTP devices from being properly recognized.

Didn't actually help with e200tool at all, either.

Old 03-15-2007, 01:34 AM

Hello,

I too only have the blue ring and no screen. My device is sort of showing up in Linux.

'lsusb'
Bus 002 Device 014: ID 0b70:0003 PortalPlayer, Inc.

'dmesg'
[17198768.796000] usb 5-4: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 19
[17198768.944000] usb 5-4: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice

I have been posting in the Rockbox forums to get this fixed but am on a deadline as I leave on vacation in a matter of days.

RockBox link:
http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php?topic=8443.0

I ran 'sudo ./e200tool recover BL_SD_boardSupportSD.rom' and here's the following code. The issue I'm having is I don't know what to do next. Nothing happens, or at least I don't know what to look for.

Searching for device 0b70:0003 ... found!
Writing 'BL_SD_boardSupportSD.rom' to address 0x10600000
Searching for device 6666:e200 ... 9 8 found!
Write at 0x1065fc38
Write done!
Running from address 0x10600000
Searching for device 6666:e200 ... found!
Execution started!

Old 03-15-2007, 12:21 PM

You should now have a new volume mounted, probably sda1 (depending on your distribution.) This is the recovery mode partition. The drive label is 16 MB FORMAT. Copy over BL_SD_boardSupportSD.rom and ppi5022.mi4. Optionally create an empty file named Sansa.fmt if you want the player reformatted as well. Then, umount the drive, and unplug the player. If the hold switch is on, turn it off before it reboots.

Old 03-15-2007, 03:16 PM

So the new partition should automount? I am indeed concerned if this is the case since nothing is happening, I checked and my system only sees /dev/sda which is my normal system.

Is there a special key/ button combination that I should be pressing? I have tried a few different ones but I keep ending up with the same result. The script runs, it writes, and then nothing happens.

Old 03-15-2007, 04:39 PM

After the "execution" step the drive should at least be available for mounting. It automounted for me on Knoppix; your distribution and configuration may vary. I'm not really sure how to mount a USB drive on Linux in general; I always have some sort of automount set up to handle that for me. Maybe check in /dev before and after running e200tool and look for a new device to appear? (Assuming your distribution uses devfs, at least.) Or you could just google your distribution and find out how it deals with USB mass storage.

All I had to do on Knoppix, btw, was install libusb, compile e200tool, and run it. The drive was automounted; I dragged over the two files, unmounted the drive, and all was well. If you find that your distro is unreasonable to work with in this regard, you could try using Knoppix instead. It'll only cost you a blank CD and five minutes to boot the system and set up e200tool.

Also, once the new bootloader is uploaded with e200tool, you MAY be able to just unplug the player and then put it in recovery mode as you normally could on a non-working but not-quite-bricked player. That procedure is well-documented and you can do it from any Windows PC if you have trouble doing it in Linux. I'm not sure if this is the case (I never had a reason to test it) but it seems logical.