android
Old 07-07-2006, 01:36 AM

Default Using Quicktime to avoid Sansa Media Converter. . .

Last night I stumbled upon a thread that a Mac user started on how to use Quicktime to put MJPEGA files on his Sansa. I tried it out, converting my video to both MJPEGB and A instead (it does this!?) and it almost worked. The video showed up, but was jumbled into unrecognizable pieces. I was wondering if anyone has perfected this method. For the record, I use Windows, and he was using Quicktime because Sansa Media Converter wasn't compatible with Mac. I think it's a smart move, since we're working with .mov . Perhaps this could solve the 'split-time' dilemma?

Ryan

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-07-2006, 05:31 AM

yeah there is a thread.. i think its called Success converting videos with QT pro ... just search for it.

Old 07-07-2006, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rclns67
with Mac. I think it's a smart move, since we're working with .mov . Perhaps this could solve the 'split-time' dilemma?

Ryan
If you are trying to fix 10 min file limit, don't bother. It is not going to work. In the sticky thread on TIPS, you can read how you can change the time limit. A few of us have tried it and you can get it to 15 mins. Anything more, the player won't even load the file.

But even with the 15min video file, the player will not play beyond 10mins.

Old 07-08-2006, 04:26 PM

10, minutes, 15 minutes, they both suck! Am I the only one who seems to be in distress about this?! Who makes a default 10-minute split-time anyway? If Sandisk wants to compete in the same league as Apple, this is the defining feature. The e200 series has the potential to be a nano with the video feature of the $400 ipod; the first flash player to be affordable and have good video playback. They need that firmware update quick!

Ryan

Old 07-08-2006, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rclns67
10, minutes, 15 minutes, they both suck! Am I the only one who seems to be in distress about this?! Who makes a default 10-minute split-time anyway? If Sandisk wants to compete in the same league as Apple, this is the defining feature. The e200 series has the potential to be a nano with the video feature of the $400 ipod; the first flash player to be affordable and have good video playback. They need that firmware update quick!

Ryan
No, you're not the only one. But the problem is we don't know if Sandisk will stand behind this player in the long run, or if there'll be a replacement for the e200 series within a few months.

Old 07-08-2006, 06:53 PM

It is an inconvenience, but think of it like the chapters on a DVD.. at least it does make it faster to resume the video where you were.

Old 07-08-2006, 08:28 PM

rclns67:

From my efforts with the Quicktime Pro 7.04, here are the settings which I can successfully get videos
running on windows:

*caution: I do not know of a way to rotate the video to the proper landscape aspect using only quicktime. I imagine there's a filter for it somewhere but I don't know where. Furthermore, I didn't get the divx plugins for quicktime so I can't help you with converting movies other than mpegs or mov's. Rotate them first before you get to quicktime and/or change the codec to something that your quicktime accepts.

File --> Export...

1.) Video Settings:
- Motion JPEG-B
-- 15, 24, 29.97, and 30 frames per second work
-- Video compression "options": make sure you select "one field", else you will get weird scan lines.
-- size: dimensions of the sansa screen are 176 wide and 220 high. you're going to have to figure out how to get the video to fit at your current video orientation because I don't know what you're starting with. Assuming the video is already rotated, use those values for width and height.

2.) Audio Settings:
- Linear PCM
- Stereo (L R)
- 22.050, 32.000, or 44.100 kHz. [32.000 seems to work reasonaly well.] anything non-standard will cause slow-sounding audio.
- Quality: Normal (don't know if changing this has any effect)
- Sample Size 16 bits
- **UNCHECK little endian (sansa decoder accepts big endian, a.k.a. not little endian in QT pro)

3.) Uncheck "prepare for internet streaming."

Compressor quality can be moved however you care to. I have found an optimum quality-to-size ratio around 37% to 40% quality. Decreasing the video any further really increases mosaic with very little effect on file size (it compresses each individual frames as a jpeg so there's only so much you can do)

As Slaughter has alluded to before, Sorenson and Sorenson3 do not actually work. I have also found this to be the case. This player only supports motion-jpeg B as of firmware .12a. Too bad MJpeg B is such a poorly efficient codec. Bad choice for a mobile player.

It is possible to encode movies longer than 15 minutes, but my sansa will only play for so long then refuses to play the rest of the clip.

I have also confirmed that successful encoding with Sorenson Squeeze is possible, but you *must* use motion JpegB video and big-endian audio encoding. Squeeze has different options such as key frame, but I only was able to alter the size by 7% at best (127 mb to 118 mb), and have at times managed to increase file size instead!! As mentioned by others, QT pro doesn't really improve file size all that much compared to Sorenson squeeze or even Sansa Media Encoder.

Quite frankly, I don't think Sansa Media Encoder is all that bad, apart from having to submit to the corporate fist. It's simple and does what it needs to do with your windows-installed codecs. I suspect it uses Directshow to transcode movies from stuff like divx/xvid to motion jpeg B. If you have issues with file size, blame Sandisk for the decoder choice, which I'm sure for them was a matter of ease + cost to implement/provide support for. Can't really change a file which has to store too much information unless you change the codec itself (hint, hint, Sansa reps? how bout some mpg4??)

Only peripherally related if you're curious: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MJPEG

Hope this helps. Good luck

Last edited by hamchoba; 07-08-2006 at 09:34 PM.

Old 07-15-2006, 07:56 PM

Default problem..

I have QT pro 7.0.3 and I am trying to convert a DIVX file. It converts it successfully and plays fine on QT. when I move it to the e260 it shows up wierd, like a scrambled picture. The Audio is fine. I have followed the instructions and made sure the field dominace is one ect.. Anyone know what is wrong?

Old 07-15-2006, 10:15 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Try making it 160x208, 15fps and 22kHz. These are the default Sansa video settings.

Old 07-16-2006, 03:41 AM

Thanks a LOT Slaughter. It took me so long to realise that it had to be that specific size. for anyone that ever gets this problem it has to be 106x208.
One last question I have is, what if the movie is not that ratio? Do I use masks or what?
Cheers

Old 07-16-2006, 09:37 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I never got a chance to do my write up if how to use QT. No you don't use a mask, I tried for hours and couldn't get it to work. You create a black box in Photoshop, 160x208 and paste that into your video. It will serve as the black bars for wide screen movies. It is a little more complicated than just that, but that should get you started.

Old 11-12-2006, 03:01 AM

Hi Slaughter,

how do i convert AVI to the 10 minute .mov files supported by Sansa using Sorenson squeeze? My problem is that SMC keeps on failing with unknown reasons when trying to convert files. I dont know what option to select when converting AVI and RM files.

Thanks!

Old 11-12-2006, 10:56 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Sorenson Squeeze worked one time for me and I could never get it to work again. Converting with QT is a very detailed process that is not worth my time to write up, sorry. There is no benefit to it and it is time consuming to use QT. You would spend more time trying to convert than you would using your player.

How To Remove the Hebrew Beta firmware

Old 11-12-2006, 05:35 PM

i converted videos to mjpegA using quicktime pro. both video and audio play fine on my sansa :]

but there's no advantage to using mjpegA over mjpegB. quality and file sizes are almost the same, so it's nothing special...

Old 11-13-2006, 06:29 PM

I see Slaughter, thanks anyway..

How do you split the file into 10 minute parts in QT Pro? As I've said, my SMC fails with unknown reasons, that's my real problem. I have SMC2 from Intervideo but I don't knwo how to split the files using it

Old 11-13-2006, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blank_blank
I see Slaughter, thanks anyway..

How do you split the file into 10 minute parts in QT Pro? As I've said, my SMC fails with unknown reasons, that's my real problem. I have SMC2 from Intervideo but I don't knwo how to split the files using it
did you by any chance edit the profile files (SanDisk_E200_MTP.apr) that came with SMC? it doesn't make sense why it wouldn't work. try resinstalling SMC and see if that changes anything.

or have someone send you a pre-encoded "sansa-ready" file (pre-encoded in SMC) and see if that works.

Old 11-16-2006, 03:04 AM

i did not modify the apr file, and i don't know what reason why it keeps on failing. I have successfully encoded 1 video only, but that is 40MB only, all others, >100mb have failed at some point

i'll try reinstalling it and see if it works.. too bad i cant have someone pre encode a movie..

Old 11-24-2006, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamchoba
rclns67:
*caution: I do not know of a way to rotate the video to the proper landscape aspect using only quicktime. I imagine there's a filter for it somewhere but I don't know where.

With QuickTime Pro, you can change the size and orientation of a video track of a movie.

To resize or rotate a QuickTime movie:

- In QuickTime Player, choose Window > Show Movie Properties.
- In the Properties window, select a video track and click Visual Settings.
- To resize the movie, type new numbers in the Current Size fields.
- To keep the same height-to-width proportions, select Preserve Aspect Ratio.
- To rotate the movie, click one of the rotate buttons.

To restore the movie to its original appearance, click Reset.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

You just have to do it on your source movie before export.

Old 04-14-2007, 04:50 AM

Thanks for all that info. I tried it with short .avi videos from my digital camera and it worked fine. However, I have some divx videos that I tried it on and it does not work. I installed the 3ivx D4 plugin so QT can play divx files (see website here) and for some reason that plugin doesn't work. Even before exporting, I don't get any sound when playing in QT. Their site does say that due to changes in QT 7, the plugin has some bugs that they are working on (apparently one of the issues is with mp3 encoded audio in the divx files). Does anyone know of another plugin for windows so I can play divx in QT? I only know of the plugin for macs from divx.com.

Also, on these files with no audio, I tried to convert/export for the heck of it and of course I get no audio, but I don't even get video. It's just a white screen for 20 minutes. Is that also due to the buggy plugin?

Like I said, with .avi videos from my Canon Powershot digital camera it works great.

Oh, and one more thing. I can play videos longer than 20 minutes. Is that because I have the latest firmware? Did they change it so that you can now play videos longer than 10 or 15 minutes? I was never aware of that limitation.