android
Old 03-26-2013, 01:39 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Here's the story....
http://www.dprp.net/reviews/0014.htm#voyage

Some people can't get past the fact that in this he uses a guitar technique like David Gilmour used on a couple songs from The Wall. A very trippy bit of music, not something I'd listen to all the time but nice to break out once in a while.

Might be hard to grasp how all-encompassing a trip can be if you never have partaken, I'll admit.

Listen closely with headphones..... Here's just the first part of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuTrOpfdlWg

I have the Complete Trip myself. Seems to work best with a few shots of Tequila. I like trippy music and this really fits the bill for it

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-29-2013, 12:53 AM

Tarja - My Winter Storm (Standard Edition)

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...nter_Storm.jpg

Yes it's 2 AM over here. Easter. Hours of Excel compilations to do. Joy.

Anyway. The last time I listened to any Tarja (former Nightwish included) was some 5 years ago on an always-bugging Archos with XB500 headphones. My personal opinion is that she was never suited as a metal lead singer (Anette works much better, since Nightwish is more or less a pop group now anyway), but when she sings her whatever-the-genre-is songs, the intrinsic energy just comes out much better. Especially on speakers.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:29 AM
Ultra Senior Member

From their new album "Save Rock and Roll" coming out on April 15th.

Retired Devices:
Sansa Fuze 8+16GB Rockboxed

Old 03-29-2013, 04:36 PM

DC Lacroix - Crack Of Doom/Livin By The Sword - 1986/1988

Had these on vinyl. Retrospective records 2 on 1 release. Forgot how bad Sylvie Lacroix was. For genre completists only.

Old 03-29-2013, 04:37 PM

Thy Majestie - Shihuangdi - 2012

All 5 star ratings and some seemingly good sample clips don't really ad up on the first listen. Pretty solid effort, but doesn't seem spectacular. The comparison to Symphony X is a bit of a stretch.

Old 03-29-2013, 04:38 PM

Herman Frank - Right In The Guts - 2012

Despite Herman's excellent resume all around, I would have passed on this if I knew Rick Altzi was involved. This guy is showing up everywhere, and I really don't understand why. First At Vance, then Thunderstone and now Masterplan. I'd swear he's paying people to sing on their albums. On top of that it distorts in all the wrong places. Seriously disappointed in this one. Please bring Fernando Garcia back and do another Victory album.

Old 03-30-2013, 02:22 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Old 03-30-2013, 03:25 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Lately, I've been loving Bear in Heaven's I Love You, It's Cool (album title notwithstanding):

One of my favorite cuts (via SoundCloud): "Sinful Nature"

Old 04-03-2013, 03:26 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Old 04-03-2013, 07:03 PM

Ohhh, I see Linda Blair's head spinning around everytime I hear Tubular Bells!

I love it though!

Old 04-05-2013, 04:53 PM

Saxon - Sacrifice - 2013 - Limited Edition

Biff Byford & Co. have been on a pretty damn good run lately. This one seems to have been a little rushed, 9 songs essentially (with a short intro), and the extras are 5 ill-conceived rehashes and an ecol book. One of the songs is about standing in line @ the airport. It's actually pretty funny, having been in a few.

Old 04-05-2013, 04:55 PM

Steve Lukather - Transition - 2013

I've been trying to get into this one for awhile. Steve's always managed to rock despite sometimes not actually rocking. This one breaks that barrier for me. Another short one, only 9 songs.

Old 04-05-2013, 04:56 PM

Lanfear - This Harmonic Consonance - 2012

Playing this one a lot. It's given me a Ray Alder era Fates Warning vibe from the start that doesn't really live up to an A/B comparison (pulled out some Fates), but on its own still reminds me of them. Since they've been promising a new album for awhile this will have to do for now.

Old 04-06-2013, 10:32 PM

Fountains Of Wayne - Traffic And Weather (2007)

From allmusic.com

Fountains of Wayne finally managed to score that big hit single their fans always knew they had in them when "Stacy's Mom" became a fluke hit a few months after the release of their third album, 2003's Welcome Interstate Mangers. Anybody worried that success had spoiled the power pop quartet shouldn't find their long-awaited fourth album, Traffic and Weather -- its title song a nifty ploy to get drive-time radio plugs, but also fitting right into the Jersey roadside themes of the titles -- a disappointment, nor should it offer much in way of surprises. Perhaps the slight traces of a disco-rock beat on the opening track/lead single, "Someone to Love," shows some evidence of copping to modern trends, but Fountains of Wayne still remain devotees of classic pop -- usually guitar-driven power pop, but they'll spike that with some Bacharach horns or country-rock if the mood strikes them. If the sound is unabashedly, even defiantly classicist, that's balanced by Adam Schlesinger's obsession with chronicling the weird incidental byroads of modern America in his lyrics. He packs odd, telling details into each of his songs, whether it's how the disaffected, lonely photo retoucher in "Someone to Love" spends her Thursdays watching King of Queens or how the jealous narrator in "This Better Be Good" notices the light blue Dockers on the guy who is holding the hand of his girlfriend. Even if they're often used in the service of joke setups or punch lines, such details give the songs weight and help Fountains of Wayne seem contemporary when their music is grounded in the '60s and '70s and could have been released anytime in the last 20 years; the dance beats underpinning the title song sound like new wave, while the synths and phased vocals on the quite wonderful on-the-run-from-loan-sharks tale "Strapped for Cash" brings to mind early-'80s AOR (a fact underscored by the "heart attack-ack-ack-ack" reference to Billy Joel's "Movin' Out"). Such lyrical and musical flourishes keep Traffic and Weather from sounding too similar to previous FOW platters, but there is something missing here: a truly knockout single, along the lines of "Radiation Vibe," "Stacey's Mom," or even "Maureen" from their B-sides comp, Out of State Plates (or for that matter, "Pop Goes My Heart," the Schlesinger-written Wham! homage for Music and Lyrics that was on the charts at the time of the release of Traffic and Weather). It's sturdy, well-written power pop, but it falls prey to some of the faults of craftsmanlike pop -- mainly, it's possible to hear the craft behind the pop instead of just getting sucked into the sugar rush of the melodies. Even so, Traffic and Weather is hardly a bad record, and should satisfy anyone who has loved Fountains of Wayne before, even if it doesn't quite excite them.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:31 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
review by Greg Prato

With Alice in Chains on hiatus by the turn of the 21st century, Columbia Records issued several stop-gap releases to fill up the space -- 1999's greatest-hits collection Nothing Safe and the box set Music Bank, and a year later, their first true live collection, titled simply Live. Despite Alice in Chains' inability (or outright refusal) to launch a proper tour after 1994, fans lucky enough to have caught one of their early tours will attest that they were quite a powerful live act. Their detuned sound and tales from the darkside are even more sinister and gripping on the concert stage, as evidenced by this 14-track set.

With a healthy helping of selections from their 1992 tour de force, Dirt, Alice in Chains let it rip on such metallic standouts as "Dam That River," "Would?," "Rooster," "Angry Chair," "Junkhead," and a "drunk and disorderly" version of Dirt's title track. Also featured are the early classics "Man in the Box" and "Bleed the Freak," as well as a track that never appeared on any of their official studio albums, "Queen of the Rodeo." Live shows what a devastating live band Alice in Chains could be.

Old 04-12-2013, 06:57 PM

Mr. Big - Back To Budokan - 2011 - (2009)

Really wish they'd put Raw Like Sushi 100 on blu ray so I could see some of the What If... material. But they'd probably want 25000 yen for it.

This is the cheap Hong Kong version, but looks otherwise complete. Great show, little frantic on the video side. Highlights are Paul, Billy, and when they all switch roles/instruments.

Old 04-12-2013, 06:58 PM

Sevendust - Black Out The Sun - 2013

Always up for a ("plugged") Sevendust album, and this is no exception. Been in heavy rotation since I got it. No limited edition nonsense.

Old 04-12-2013, 06:59 PM

Pretty Maids - Motherland - 2013

So glad these guys are back on track, I remember reading an interview with Ronnie a few years ago where he thought they were done. A little darker than Pandemonium, but I like it. A great follow up.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:49 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Mad Season: Above (Deluxe Edition)
By J.C. Maçek III 5 April 2013
A beautiful epitaph for a short-lived supergroup

The tapestry of rock ‘n’ roll is often woven with tragedy and evolving stories cut short. Mad Season, Seattle’s version of a rock supergroup, formed in 1994, was comprised from members of Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, The Screaming Trees and The Walkabouts. The band released only one album, 1995’s hit Above, and one live VHS release called Live at the Moore before a temporary hiatus which became their ultimate unfortunate demise. Vocalist Layne Staley semi-retired due to substance abuse issues so Mark Lanegan (drummer Barrett Martin’s Screaming Trees bandmate who co-wrote and sang lead and backing vocals on many Above songs) became the band’s new lead singer. Sadly the project derailed with the fatal heroin overdose of bassist John Baker Saunders in 1999. Staley died three years later under depressingly similar circumstances.

On 2 April 2013, Columbia/ Legacy released a new, deluxe, remastered version of Above containing not just the original LP but the entire audio set from Live at the Moore, bonus tracks that include three songs from Mark Lanegan’s tenure as lead singer and the first commercially available release of Live at the Moore on DVD. The overall package will be a treat for fans and, surprisingly, may set the band in a new light almost 20 years after their debut.

Mad Season hit the stage and the charts in the shadow of the suddenly popular “Grunge” movement, seeming like a side project of two of the genre’s current greats in Alice in Chain’s singer Staley and Pearl Jam’s guitarist Mike McCready. While “Grunge” is certainly an ingredient in the Mad Season formula, Above is a much more complex and experimental album that still defies a single standardized label. McCready picks out blues inspired solo riffs and Sabbathy aggressive chords, often on top of each other. Staley’s vocals eschew the usual straightforward mumbling growl of normal grunge for a haunting assortment of diverse notes that evoke Robert Plant’s Led Zeppelin cries as much as Alice in Chains’s album tracks.

Mad Season actually benefits from the separation from (and, thus, lack of comparison to) the rest of the grunge family tree. With their lack of fear to indulge in and experiment with unconventional musical elements (note the xylophone and saxophone accompanying Staley and Lanegan’s duet on “Long Gone Day”), Mad Season were labeled by critics as all over the map and unfocused (amid generally positive reviews). In hindsight, Mad Season give the impression of having been ahead of their time and less tied to the top forty of their day. Sure, had their actual debut been in 2013 instead of 1995 the band would feel like a throwback, but the question is, a throwback to when? The grunge era of the mid-1990s or the artistic and experimental mid-‘70s?

As a requiem for the band, Above also takes on a different tone. In light of Staley’s grim end, his haunting, echoing cries of “Down, oh Down. My pain is self-chosen.” on “River of Deceit” and his raspy pleading of “Is this the way I spend my days; In recovery of a fatal disease?” on “Artificial Red” sound like a sorrowful prophecy of his death by heroin and cocaine. The production (by the band with Brett Eliason) adds a ghostly reverberation to Staley’s voice as if he is calling out this dire self-examination from down a long, empty hallway.

At the same time, the live discs (both audio and video) do just as fine a job of showcasing the energetic passion Mad Season had for their music and gratitude for their fans. This is especially showcased in the long, sprawling 1970s style jam session the band undertakes with their guest musicians during the song “November Hotel” (one of very few tracks to feature Staley on rhythm guitar). The band flows into different keys and tempos as one distorted, yet solidly linked unit as comfortable on their harmonious melodies as they are on their murky, walls of sound and their Who-like smashing of their amps, not for gratuitous spectacle, but for the effect on the sound itself. The DVD disc contains four more songs from the Moore show, shakily filmed from the audience as well as a similar-quality second concert Live at RKCNDY (both worth seeing and hearing for that in-the-raw impact) and three of the band’s music videos.

The three Lanegan-centric bonus tracks are worthy inclusions (far more than just curiosities). However, these fail to stand up to the unique experimentation of Above more closely resembling the traditional (and then all popular) grunge sound. That said, these were only three tracks from a band who was still trying new things at the time their existence was cut short. That is the true sorrow of this band. Like so many tales of rock woe, Mad Season could have done more and gone higher than Above if given the chance. This deluxe edition is the closest we’re likely to get to a “Complete” Mad Season, and this composite album is, indeed, a worthy representation of a proficient and passionate band cut short before their time. Above’s Deluxe Edition is not simply all we have of Mad Season, but is in many ways a “Best Of” compilation. It is really too bad that this collection also had to stand as the band’s epitaph.
Rating: 7/10

Old 04-16-2013, 08:54 AM
Off-Topic Moderator

Queensryche: Operation Mindcrime, which IMO is one of the best concept album ever wrtten. I hear a lot of Iron Maiden and Dream Theater in here