android
Old 01-23-2007, 06:07 PM

Default Dish Network to Zen

Hello everyone.. First time posting here so please bear with me..

I have been scooping out this site for the past month and have decided to get ether a Creative Zen M or W..

But there is one thing that I am reather interested in knowing and I havent seen asked here on this site...
I for one have Dish Network.. Love it or hate it thats your call.. However for those that have the same you may of noticed that Dish also has a Player out as well.. It some what resembles the Zen W but its far more pricer.. And with that you can tranfer your recored shows from the DVR to the player it self..
However I dont care for the price its calling for it nor the looks are somthing only a dead beat mother would love..
So in short does anyone know if the Zen will be able to tranfer files from my DishDVR to the Zen?.. Or has anyone at least gave it a shot?.. ether way I will more then likely get a Zen player but I will be willing to buy one right now if this feature can be used throu my Dish box..

And if it helps:
DishDVR 625
records to MPEG-2 format

Any comments are better then none..
Thanx for your time,
Scooter

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-23-2007, 10:10 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Given the video codec used, the ZVM and ZVW should be able to handle that. However, I strongly suspect the audio stream within those files is AC3, which the Zens cannot handle. You'll probably have to run your files through a converter to change the audio to MP3.

Then there's the bitrate. The bitrate for those files might exceed what the Zens can display smoothly.

Old 01-24-2007, 12:09 AM

Thank you...

Old 02-09-2007, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenChick View Post
Given the video codec used, the ZVM and ZVW should be able to handle that. However, I strongly suspect the audio stream within those files is AC3, which the Zens cannot handle. You'll probably have to run your files through a converter to change the audio to MP3.

Then there's the bitrate. The bitrate for those files might exceed what the Zens can display smoothly.
Can you tell me more about this? I have been reading about this for a few weeks and only you have talked about this working. Every one is telling me that you need a PocketDish. I have a Zen W and I liked it allot. I have right now a Moxie DVR, my Cable Company uses it. I am looking to leave the Moxie and if I can my cable company. TiVo I know lets you move the files on to your PC in a MPEG format. Yet every were I read you canít do this with the Dish network stuff. Full info would be great, seeing I am looking to spend my Tex return on this and will have that return in about a week.

Thank you

Old 02-12-2007, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupo View Post
Can you tell me more about this? I have been reading about this for a few weeks and only you have talked about this working. Every one is telling me that you need a PocketDish. I have a Zen W and I liked it allot. I have right now a Moxie DVR, my Cable Company uses it. I am looking to leave the Moxie and if I can my cable company. TiVo I know lets you move the files on to your PC in a MPEG format. Yet every were I read you canít do this with the Dish network stuff. Full info would be great, seeing I am looking to spend my Tex return on this and will have that return in about a week.

Thank you
I also have Dish DVR (both HD and standard). As far as I have been able to discern, as of right now, if you want a program from your DVR on your M or W, you have essentially two choices: Buy DISH's portable DVR (rebranded Archos) and copy the program from it onto your PC and then to your M/W, or buy a nice little inexpensive DVD-RW recorder, and then rip the DVD onto your PC with any of the quality software titles out there (such as CloneDVD). Either way, it's going to cost a few bucks.

I have the DVD-RW recorder, and have used it a few times for this, and it works just fine, although it is a time-consuming pain in the rear.

Question I have is: Would any regular late-model Archos unit be able to do the same thing as the re-branded 'Pocket-Dish' units? I suspect it would be fairly easy to pick one up cheap on Ebay or somewhere.

Anyway, FYI, I plugged my M into the USB port on the back of my Dish DVR, and it gave me an error message, essentially saying 'You have plugged an unsupported device into your DISH USB port. Hit OK to exit.' And that was that. Maybe in the future they will update their firmware to allow it, but most likely, since the M/W is not itself a DVR (like the Archos), it probably will not ever be able to do it.

Good luck.