android
Old 04-13-2007, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDGAFFLIN View Post
Well, if you're listening to mostly jazz, as much as I like the Grado's, I'd go with the DT231's. The soundstage is better, especially with complex music.
OK JDGAFFLIN..now that's 2 people for the 231's...looks like they may be better for me than the SR60's..

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-13-2007, 04:00 PM

This is where it comes down to personal preference.

As much as I do not wish to contradict my pal JD above. I auditioned the DT231 and SR60 side by side on several visits before buying the SR60.

SR60 pros, wide soundstage, clear highs and a clean top end. Cons, not as bassy as I would like, leak sound in and out like a baitch.

DT231 pros, do not leak sound in or out. Had to run them at a higher volume to get a soundstage, although they have bass, to my ears it was a bit woolly. Good for the money as they are less than half of what the SR60 cost in the UK.

If you are looking at a closed design, listen to the Sennheiser HD280 pro 62 ohm version, these can be had at bargain prices and is similar to the delivery of the DT231, just more. We have two pairs of these at my home.

Bottom line, you gotta use your own ears from here on in, me I wanna hear the DT770

Old 04-13-2007, 04:03 PM

Sure, DT770 are no prob, even for my measly Samsung YP-U1 (18mW). I can only tell you that they're my favorite phones (HD650/SR325/K701 what?). Period.

Old 04-13-2007, 04:05 PM

EDIT: they don't have the best mids, nor the widest soundstage. but their bass is the best in any phone, and their treble is very pleasing, too. They're some kind of "loudness curve" phone. They definitely are the best for my needs. And they isolate as much as my Ultimate Ears Super.Fi.

Old 04-13-2007, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aardvark View Post
This is where it comes down to personal preference.

As much as I do not wish to contradict my pal JD above. I auditioned the DT231 and SR60 side by side on several visits before buying the SR60.

SR60 pros, wide soundstage, clear highs and a clean top end. Cons, not as bassy as I would like, leak sound in and out like a baitch.

DT231 pros, do not leak sound in or out. Had to run them at a higher volume to get a soundstage, although they have bass, to my ears it was a bit woolly. Good for the money as they are less than half of what the SR60 cost in the UK.

If you are looking at a closed design, listen to the Sennheiser HD280 pro 62 ohm version, these can be had at bargain prices and is similar to the delivery of the DT231, just more. We have two pairs of these at my home.

Bottom line, you gotta use your own ears from here on in, me I wanna hear the DT770
Thanks Aardvark for your input....man now it's getting harder...lol...just to many phones...

Old 04-13-2007, 04:12 PM

The "wooly" bass might settle down with some burn-in... HD280 is very nice... but why settle for anything less than the DT770, anyways?

Old 04-13-2007, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
EDIT: they don't have the best mids, nor the widest soundstage. but their bass is the best in any phone, and their treble is very pleasing, too. They're some kind of "loudness curve" phone. They definitely are the best for my needs. And they isolate as much as my Ultimate Ears Super.Fi.
The 770's, how are they with womens voices?? Does it sound kinda like a chestiness, or are they clean and slighty forward.

Old 04-13-2007, 04:17 PM

They're not forward with vocals, I would say. They're "loudness curve" adjusted. Still, I A/B'ed them against Shure E5c and Ultimate Ears SF 5 Pro - the DT770 made those very pricey IEMs sound like total crap to my ears.

Old 04-13-2007, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowon#1 View Post
Thanks Aardvark for your input....man now it's getting harder...lol...just to many phones...
Nah, this is the good part.

Armed with your DAP and a list of possibles and a sack of sammiches an a flask of soup, your gonna find a bricks store and listen to 3 or more models over an hour or so.

DT231
DT770
SR60
HD280 pro

you could also consider

HD25
HD201
HD202

Get your pal to ring you urgently after a coupla hours so you have to leave the store in a hurry, then buy on line...[evil]

Old 04-13-2007, 04:20 PM

Quote:
They're not forward with vocals, I would say. They're "loudness curve" adjusted. Still, I A/B'ed them against Shure E5c and Ultimate Ears SF 5 Pro - the DT770 made those very pricey IEMs sound like total crap to my ears.
Well that's good to know...because I love vocals with my Shure E500's...so I guess they must be better than that..

Old 04-13-2007, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aardvark View Post
Nah, this is the good part.

Armed with your DAP and a list of possibles and a sack of sammiches an a flask of soup, your gonna find a bricks store and listen to 3 or more models over an hour or so.

DT231
DT770
SR60
HD280 pro

you could also consider

HD25
HD201
HD202

Get your pal to ring you urgently after a coupla hours so you have to leave the store in a hurry, then buy on line...[evil]
lolololol.....

Old 04-13-2007, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowon#1
Well that's good to know...because I love vocals with my Shure E500's...so I guess they must be better than that..
I guess they are... decent full-sized cans still are no comparison to IEMs (even twice as expensive). IMO.

Aardvark's recommendation of the HD25 is very good - just make sure they're the "real" HD25 - not the HD25-SP crap. They're the second best closed cans after the DT770, IMO.

Old 04-15-2007, 08:10 PM

Ok..well I was looking into some more phones online and I seen the Sennheiser HD595's for about 175 bucks brand new....I was reading that female vocals sound really good, crisp and clear.

Has anyone tried these phones?...any input from anyone?

Edit: I just seen I can get the beyerdynamic DT 770 for the same price...how do these compare to the 595's?

By some reviews I've read it seems I might like the HD595's better.

Old 04-17-2007, 06:37 AM

That might be true. The HD595 are open cans, they got better midrange and a wider soundstage than the DT770. If you intend to use them at home and in quiet surroundings, the HD595 should perform better with vocal material.

The HD595 are somewhat "controversial" cans. Guys over at Head-Fi are split in two fractions over their quality. Some say you should either get the HD580 (or even HD555) or go all the way for the HD600 or 650. Others, however, swear by the HD595.

(We should rename this thread to "Good Expensive Headphones"... )

Old 04-17-2007, 07:09 AM

Quote:
That might be true. The HD595 are open cans, they got better midrange and a wider soundstage than the DT770. If you intend to use them at home and in quiet surroundings, the HD595 should perform better with vocal material.

The HD595 are somewhat "controversial" cans. Guys over at Head-Fi are split in two fractions over their quality. Some say you should either get the HD580 (or even HD555) or go all the way for the HD600 or 650. Others, however, swear by the HD595.

(We should rename this thread to "Good Expensive Headphones"... )
lol...Yeah dfkt...I was thinking about the "inexpensive phones" thread title...but I started out thinking I might get ones under $100..and then I didn't know if I should start a new thread or what..or which thread I should put it in..I should of just started a new thread..sorry..

Well anyway dfkt I ordered the HD595 last night...so I hope I like them..and I intend to use them at home...also I've read there easy to drive...
but I guess I'll start a different thread when I get them to let everyone know how I like them and how they sound... Thanks for the info..

Old 04-17-2007, 07:19 AM

No prob... that's the way some threads go.

If you feel inclined to do so, I'd be happy to read a HD595 mini review... and they're more or less still in the "affordable" category, unlike the HD600 or 650.

Old 04-17-2007, 07:39 AM

Quote:
No prob... that's the way some threads go.

If you feel inclined to do so, I'd be happy to read a HD595 mini review... and they're more or less still in the "affordable" category, unlike the HD600 or 650.
ok Thanks dfkt....

I just checked head-fi...and your right they seem to be divided....I hope I'll be in the half that likes them...I have a feeling I'll like them since they'll be the only big set of cans I own.. I really like my cheap KSC75's but I hope the HD595's sound better...

Old 04-26-2007, 01:21 AM

The MylarOne, Two and Three are very new and very good value for money. They are a minor hit in Singapore (see discussion on http://headphonehaven.com) but can be bought on the internet as well. The most expensive in the range is USD 59,00 including P&p worldwide. I liked them so much that I put my Super.fi 5 EB's up for sale!

Old 05-17-2007, 06:18 PM

I've heard great things about Kossart iPro, with the only complaints being that it doesn't isolate too good and that it doesn't look that good :P
Kossart iPro is basically an improved Koss Porta Pro, and it ain't that expensive either...
259 SEK, wich I think should be around 25-27 euros...

Old 05-18-2007, 03:42 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowon#1 View Post
Yeah I noticed it sounded better when you press it against your ear...but I think it's because your compressing the foam and making a tighter seal around you ears.....that's why I said I wish they were closed in...I'd like to get some thicker foam and replace the foam that's on them...but I think the foam should be covered with some sort of like thin leather or whatever that is that they cover some headphone foam with....I think that would make them more air tight plus create a more open sound at the same time being more air tight like when you press them against your ear.

No complaints from me about these either. Well...just one. Can't get them to stay on! I wouldn't say I have the "spockiest" ears, or the most energetic gait, but when walking - especially when I turn around - at least one earphone comes flying off.
I've had other clip styles which have been ok.
Any ideas?

Tags
earbud, earphone, headphone, iem