android
Old 04-04-2007, 07:31 AM

For what they are, they are pretty amazing.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-09-2007, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowon#1 View Post
I just bought the Koss KSC75 at Radio Shack after reading all over the internet that they sound great...but I was really thinking "they can't sound to good for that price and there so ugly and there a Koss"...lol.

Well all I have to say is they sound AWESOME...I can't stop listening to them.....honestly all my other phones are iem's and earbud type so I don't have any experience with bigger phones....but these KSC75's have something that all my iem's don't have...even my Shure E500's don't have this extra something that the KSC75 have.

But when I'm listening to them I get this feeling that I want them to be bigger and more closed in to even have better sound...but there not...I think if these were more closed in they'd be totally awesome.
yeah, sometimes you wish you had something pushing them against your ears all the time. try it yourself and you'll hear the difference. they sound awesome when you put them closer to your ears. but for what they are and for their price there's nothing better. heck, even a lot more expensive headphones dream about KSC75's sound quality.

Let me tell you what that "extra something" is: Amazingly tight, well detailed Bass; very natural, insanely detailed and clear mids; and crisp, very alive and absolutely not-fatiguing highs. it all combines together and gives you a very rich sound experience, all for less than 20 bucks. no wonder audiophiles everywhere are praising this babies.

Last edited by xan K; 04-10-2007 at 12:10 AM.

Old 04-10-2007, 05:29 PM

Have you modded them? Just wondering b/c I heard that it helps make the sound even better

Old 04-11-2007, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhorsen3rd View Post
Have you modded them? Just wondering b/c I heard that it helps make the sound even better
No I haven't modded them....if I had another pair I would...

I would if I was sure they'd sound alot better afterward...but I won't know myself unless I buy a 2nd pair...I'm afraid if I do it to this pair they may sound worse...and right now I like the way they sound..

Old 04-11-2007, 09:36 AM

Default cheesed off...

I bought a pair of Sony MDR-E828V's about 3 months ago. I spent 16.99 ($33.60) on them and 3 weeks ago they started buzzing and distorting on the left hand side! Then a week later the right channel joined in too! I lost the recipt for them so I cant take them back. I didn't overload them cos they've got 50mw drivers and the volume on my Creative zen microphoto never goes above 20 out of 25. is there any way to recover them?

Old 04-13-2007, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xan K View Post
yeah, sometimes you wish you had something pushing them against your ears all the time. try it yourself and you'll hear the difference. they sound awesome when you put them closer to your ears. but for what they are and for their price there's nothing better. heck, even a lot more expensive headphones dream about KSC75's sound quality.

Let me tell you what that "extra something" is: Amazingly tight, well detailed Bass; very natural, insanely detailed and clear mids; and crisp, very alive and absolutely not-fatiguing highs. it all combines together and gives you a very rich sound experience, all for less than 20 bucks. no wonder audiophiles everywhere are praising this babies.
Yeah I noticed it sounded better when you press it against your ear...but I think it's because your compressing the foam and making a tighter seal around you ears.....that's why I said I wish they were closed in...I'd like to get some thicker foam and replace the foam that's on them...but I think the foam should be covered with some sort of like thin leather or whatever that is that they cover some headphone foam with....I think that would make them more air tight plus create a more open sound at the same time being more air tight like when you press them against your ear.

Old 04-13-2007, 11:56 AM

dfkt, since I don't have much experience with bigger phones (I have about 20 different IEM's and earbuds)...and since I love these Koss KSC75's....

I was thinking about buying even bigger ones but I'm not sure what to buy or if my D2 can power them...I was reading about the Grado SR60's...they get really good reviews for the price. And will they sound better than the KSC75's??

Do you have any other suggestions?? Like under 100 dollars?? I mostly listen to Jazz.

Old 04-13-2007, 03:02 PM

SR 60 should be no problem for the D2... even if they're hungry for high current (though low-impedance). I'm not a fan of the sound of the cheaper Grado's... Senn 202 and upwards, or Beyer 231 are more to my liking. YMMV.

Old 04-13-2007, 03:12 PM

I have both the Grado SR60's and the Beyerdymaic DT231's.

Honestly, I prefer the Grado's when it comes to sound. IMO, they have a bit more punch to them. The only drawback is the leak sound. A lot. And they are a little "heavy on the head"...That being said, I love the DT231's. Granted, Im no audiophile, but these things sound amazingly clear. The bass could use a little extra umph, but thats fixable with EQ settings.

Plus the Beyer's are extremely comfortable to wear. I put them on and I forget that Im wearing a full size can. I dont have much jazz, but the seperation of instruments leads me to believe the Beyers would be great for you. Plus you can get 'em for $59.00 at Headroom.

I wear them both about the same. And you cant go wrong with the sound quality in both of 'em. But IMO, for your Jazz needs, the DT231's are probably the way to go.

Old 04-13-2007, 03:29 PM

Yeah, JD, you're right... for phones below $100 it all comes down to one's personal preference. There are lots more to choose from than above the $100 barrier. It's really hard telling anybody else what one feels for himself with some of these inexpensive cans. Buyer beware, try for yourself.

Old 04-13-2007, 03:29 PM

Thanks dfkt and JDGAFFLIN for your knowledgeable info ....

hmmmm...now that makes it a little harder...lol...

Anyway dfkt what is it about the SR60's that you don't like?? I'm just trying to get an idea so I know for sure. Or what is it about the DT231's do you like?? And again anyone would these sound better than the KSC75's??

Anyone else have any input it would be appreciated..

Old 04-13-2007, 03:32 PM

Well, I like the bass, non-muddy mids and decent treble about the 231's... something you can't take for granted in the closed-can sub-$100 class. I bet you can't find better closed ones in this price range. (But this is coming from a guy whose favorite cans are the DT770/80...)

What I don't like about the SR60 is the bass response and the leakage. But the soundstage is better than with the 231, IMO. I also am not a fan of the "linearity" of the SR60, the 231 just tweak the frequency response more to my liking. A big, blinking "YMMV" should follow that, of course. It's highly subjective.

Old 04-13-2007, 03:34 PM

dfkt is correct. The soundstage on the Beyers is better. And there is little, if any, leakage. I agree with dfkt on this point, they are probably the best closed can for under $100.00.

Plus, the Beyer DT231 Galactics look cool.

Old 04-13-2007, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Well, I like the bass, non-muddy mids and decent treble about the 231's... something you can't take for granted in the closed-can sub-$100 class. I bet you can't find better closed ones in this price range. (But this is coming from a guy whose favorite cans are the DT770/80...)

What I don't like about the SR60 is the bass response and the leakage. But the soundstage is better than with the 231, IMO. I also am not a fan of the "linearity" of the SR60, the 231 just tweak the frequency response more to my liking. A big, blinking "YMMV" should follow that, of course. It's highly subjective.
OK thanks dfkt....I'm going to look into the 231's..

Old 04-13-2007, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDGAFFLIN View Post
dfkt is correct. The soundstage on the Beyers is better. And there is little, if any, leakage. I agree with dfkt on this point, they are probably the best closed can for under $100.00.

Plus, the Beyer DT231 Galactics look cool.
And Thank You JDGAFFLIN..

Old 04-13-2007, 03:40 PM

You're welcome.

Here's the review that prompted me to get them. It's pretty much spot on.

http://www.headphone.com/products/he...1-galactic.php

Old 04-13-2007, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDGAFFLIN View Post
You're welcome.

Here's the review that prompted me to get them. It's pretty much spot on.

http://www.headphone.com/products/he...1-galactic.php
Yeah that's where I seen the SR60's reviewed..lol...that's why I was thinking of getting them....they have them rated higher....man oh man....back and forth, back and forth....lol...wish I could hear them both before I buy....and if they sound better than the KSC75's.

Old 04-13-2007, 03:50 PM

That's a tough one... of course the 231's have better bass, due to being closed design... but otherwise the KSC75 are really good.

Best you save some money and get the DT770.

Old 04-13-2007, 03:53 PM

Well, if you're listening to mostly jazz, as much as I like the Grado's, I'd go with the DT231's. The soundstage is better, especially with complex music.

Old 04-13-2007, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
That's a tough one... of course the 231's have better bass, due to being closed design... but otherwise the KSC75 are really good.

Best you save some money and get the DT770.
WOW, I just checked out those 770's...them things are beautiful....!!

Would my D2 power them??

Tags
earbud, earphone, headphone, iem