android
  #421  
Old 11-17-2009, 08:31 AM
irldave irldave is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 58
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyordie View Post
How about the SkullCandy TiTans or SkullCandy Ink'ds?
Really???
Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

  #422  
Old 11-17-2009, 08:53 AM
dfkt's Avatar
dfkt dfkt is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 15,330
Default

Here's a review about the Skullcandy Titan which I find very good. It's a "reality check" - unbiased, honest, and neither bashing nor fanboyish. Bottom line is, they sound almost ok-ish if you're a basshead, but they're way overpriced for what they are and build quality is questionable. You find better sounding phones for half the price. Skullcandy still is a ripoff company, catering to the trendy and gullible kids.

Review: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/s...-check-455416/
Reply With Quote

  #423  
Old 11-17-2009, 10:33 AM
Flyordie Flyordie is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 127
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Here's a review about the Skullcandy Titan which I find very good. It's a "reality check" - unbiased, honest, and neither bashing nor fanboyish. Bottom line is, they sound almost ok-ish if you're a basshead, but they're way overpriced for what they are and build quality is questionable. You find better sounding phones for half the price. Skullcandy still is a ripoff company, catering to the trendy and gullible kids.

Review: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/s...-check-455416/


Yea, they issued a revision which fixed the mids and some of the issues with the low end. However, they are cheap, ($24 in many stores, such as FYE and Best Buy)... So I figured they would be a candidate for this list.

edit- Yes, confirmed. The review used revision 1, I have revision 2 which had some minor tweaks to the driver, allowing for quicker break-ins and better mids. Now, please note this is coming from a person who used to use the Creative EP-830s.

Last edited by Flyordie; 11-17-2009 at 10:51 AM.
Reply With Quote

  #424  
Old 11-17-2009, 11:53 AM
JK98 JK98 is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,058
Default

Huh? The Skullcandy Titan is $24 on the net, but is $40 at Best Buy. For under $20 one can buy the Sennheiser CX300 on the net.
Reply With Quote

  #425  
Old 11-17-2009, 06:04 PM
Flyordie Flyordie is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 127
Default

Yeah, you must live near or in a bigger city. My local Best Buy has them on sale for $24.99 almost year round. FYE will have them on sale every few months for $19.99.
Reply With Quote

  #426  
Old 11-26-2009, 02:38 AM
samueljesusfreak's Avatar
samueljesusfreak samueljesusfreak is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Ellendale, North Dakota
Posts: 758
Default

I'm gonna have to throw a negative review in for the 2XL phones. Grabbed a pair because it's all I could grab and I saw them on this page. I wasn't expecting a miracle for $15 but once I saw the "Developed in Park City, Utah by Skullcandy", I wanted to throw up.. but I gave them a chance.. Sound just like my old Skullcandy Ink'd. Seems like a reband/re-build of the same driver. They're.... not bad for $15, but the $20 JVC Marshmallow are leaps and bounds beyond this.
__________________
Player: Generic Philips GoGear 4GB(Sounds decent though)
Headphones: Koss KSC-75 and JVC Marshmallow
Wow I'm poor..
Reply With Quote

  #427  
Old 11-26-2009, 04:34 AM
WalkGood's Avatar
WalkGood WalkGood is offline
ABI Invaluable
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: FL
Posts: 12,577
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samueljesusfreak View Post
I'm gonna have to throw a negative review in for the 2XL phones. Grabbed a pair because it's all I could grab and I saw them on this page. I wasn't expecting a miracle for $15 but once I saw the "Developed in Park City, Utah by Skullcandy", I wanted to throw up.. but I gave them a chance.. Sound just like my old Skullcandy Ink'd. Seems like a reband/re-build of the same driver. They're.... not bad for $15, but the $20 JVC Marshmallow are leaps and bounds beyond this.
And the great thing is that you can find the marshmallows around $15.00 and when they go on sale a few dollars cheaper. http://www.amazon.com/JVC-HAFX33B-Ma.../dp/B000IS1ZZI
__________________
WalkGood,
Ramón

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc
Reply With Quote

  #428  
Old 12-10-2009, 12:45 PM
Eldub Eldub is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Washington State
Posts: 24
Default Short cords?

Do any of the less-expensive but decent earphones have short cords? I'm looking for something for working out at the gym, using it with my Clip+. Having 3-4 feet of cord dangling around (or threaded through my shirt) doesn't work for me. Something like a 12" cord would be perfect - could fasten the Clip+ to my collar and be done with it.

I know the Shures come with a short cord and extender - but the low end is $80 on sale. Less expensive options?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote

  #429  
Old 12-10-2009, 12:48 PM
dfkt's Avatar
dfkt dfkt is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 15,330
Default

Sennheiser CX400 come with a short cord and extension. They should sound more exciting than the overpriced lower end Shure models.

Jays s-Jays are another option with excellent build quality - but unfortunately they're quite muddy and bassy.
Reply With Quote

  #430  
Old 12-11-2009, 01:15 AM
no9's Avatar
no9 no9 is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 1,098
Default

If you can find them , the Sennheiser CXL 400 is what I use with my clip. It's lanyard style so you don't even have to clip to anything.
Reply With Quote

  #431  
Old 12-11-2009, 02:47 AM
Eldub Eldub is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Washington State
Posts: 24
Default

Thank you both! (Off to go check those out...)
Reply With Quote

  #432  
Old 12-20-2009, 05:43 PM
weedalin's Avatar
weedalin weedalin is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: In my house
Posts: 652
Default

I have a question: How are the CX300's in terms of build quality and how long they'll last?
Reply With Quote

  #433  
Old 12-20-2009, 05:46 PM
dfkt's Avatar
dfkt dfkt is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 15,330
Default

They've got very good build quality, tested in real life. My girlfriend destroyed her crappy Sony EX51 within weeks, and her CX300 (genuine store-bought in a Sennheiser outlet) are over two years old, without a flaw.

Those are the first generation CX300, not sure how the newer ones are. But since they're Sennheiser, I would guess they should still live up to their name.
Reply With Quote

  #434  
Old 12-20-2009, 05:49 PM
weedalin's Avatar
weedalin weedalin is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: In my house
Posts: 652
Default

Ah, thanks Martin.
Do you know the best place to get these for a decent price?
Amazon has 'em listed for 27 bucks, but I've had issues with them in the past.
Reply With Quote

  #435  
Old 12-20-2009, 05:54 PM
dfkt's Avatar
dfkt dfkt is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 15,330
Default

That's hard to say. If you buy from Amazon Marketplace or eBay, you can be 99% sure you get some crappy fakes. If you buy from 'real' Amazon, you should be fairly safe. If possible, try buying them from some reputable brick & mortar store.
Reply With Quote

  #436  
Old 12-20-2009, 05:56 PM
weedalin's Avatar
weedalin weedalin is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: In my house
Posts: 652
Default

This is real Amazon, and I'd like to purchase them in a real, reputable store too (so that way, I can have some instant gratification ) but aren't in-stores typically more expensive than their online counterparts?
Reply With Quote

  #437  
Old 12-21-2009, 01:28 AM
JoshRead's Avatar
JoshRead JoshRead is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Parkersburg, WV
Posts: 266
Default

I want to suggest the Philips SHS3200 (Sure is a well thought out, marketable name). You can get them here: http://www.amazon.com/Philips-SHS320...d_bxgy_e_img_b

They have the best sound quality of any sub-50 dollar earbuds I've heard. I initially thought they had nice highs and mids (maybe just a tad too much treble) but lacking in bass. But when I got my Walkman E345 and set the Clear Bass up to 3 (otherwise flat EQ), I found that it has extremely clear and tight bass. I can't believe these things are under $10.

The problem some people seem to have with them (at least on Amazon customer reviews) is that they are uncomfortable, so I guess you'd have to take a chance and hope it's not the case for you. It feels great on me personally.
Reply With Quote

  #438  
Old 12-21-2009, 12:44 PM
triarii117's Avatar
triarii117 triarii117 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 554
Default

Speaking of Philips, the SHE9501/37's aren't too bad. Nice and clear bass and mids. Rather well balanced. They sound really good on the P3 and the Zen. They go for around $40. Very comfortable, the first IEMs that I have found that can actually stay in my ears properly xD
Only gripe I have against them is the cable length.
__________________
PMPs: Cowon J3, Samsung P3(touchscreen problems), Creative Zen (4GB, black)
Headphones: Panasonic RP-HTX7, Philips, JVC Marshmallow IEMS (why not)
Reply With Quote

  #439  
Old 12-21-2009, 02:00 PM
weedalin's Avatar
weedalin weedalin is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: In my house
Posts: 652
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshRead View Post
I want to suggest the Philips SHS3200 (Sure is a well thought out, marketable name). You can get them here: http://www.amazon.com/Philips-SHS320...d_bxgy_e_img_b

They have the best sound quality of any sub-50 dollar earbuds I've heard. I initially thought they had nice highs and mids (maybe just a tad too much treble) but lacking in bass. But when I got my Walkman E345 and set the Clear Bass up to 3 (otherwise flat EQ), I found that it has extremely clear and tight bass. I can't believe these things are under $10.

The problem some people seem to have with them (at least on Amazon customer reviews) is that they are uncomfortable, so I guess you'd have to take a chance and hope it's not the case for you. It feels great on me personally.
Ehh, I don't like earbuds all that much. They make my ears hurt after a little bit, and the sound quality usually isn't as good as IEM's or Clip-ons. For under 10 bucks, I think the Koss KSC-75's and the JVC Marshmallows are the best bang for the buck. What about anyone else?
Reply With Quote

  #440  
Old 12-21-2009, 02:14 PM
JoshRead's Avatar
JoshRead JoshRead is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Parkersburg, WV
Posts: 266
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedalin View Post
Ehh, I don't like earbuds all that much. They make my ears hurt after a little bit, and the sound quality usually isn't as good as IEM's or Clip-ons. For under 10 bucks, I think the Koss KSC-75's and the JVC Marshmallows are the best bang for the buck. What about anyone else?
I don't really like earbuds much either, unless they have the earhooks that hold them tight in place. In-ear phones don't stay in place in my ear so those don't work for me.

The problem with earbuds is that the sound quality suffers if they aren't right against the ear canal. With the earhook, it helps it a lot.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Tags
earbud, earphone, headphone, iem

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:07 AM.