android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Old 05-20-2015, 11:01 PM

Default Looking for affordable earbuds; any suggestions?

I'm in eastern North Carolina, NC, and hoping to find a decent pair of earbuds to use with my Walkman E345. The most I could possibly spend is $40, but my budget is pretty tight right now and I would really prefer something under $30. I'll be using them primarily for listening to music, and everywhere from at home to on bike rides to waiting rooms. I need something that's comfortable to wear for long periods of time, and they do have to be earbuds - in-ear headphones just aren't very comfortable to me (although I suppose better quality ones might be better) and full headphones don't really work as well for my outdoor activities.

I've been using JVC HAF14A Gumy earbuds... certainly not that impressive but they were all I could afford at the time, and I'm hoping to upgrade to something a bit nicer now that I'm able to. I've been looking at the stickies here and doing a bit of research on my own, but I was hoping someone might have some recommendations? =)

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-20-2015, 11:56 PM

If you don't mind foam ear pads, take a look at what Sennheiser has to offer. I have the HAF150 from JVC and they are the worst earbud I have ever heard, maybe with the exception of a pair that came with my Archos 43. If your JVCs are as bad, probably any Sennheiser is better.

I also got some time ago a pair of Koss KEB10. They are better than the HAF150 but still worse than any of my Sennheisers.

I also liked somewhat the sound of Beyerdynamic DTX 11, but they are discontinued and only acceptable with lots of bass boost. (I boost the bass somewhat with all earbuds, but the DTX 11 needs more than average.) And build quality was quite bad.

I like the Sennheiser MX 375 and the MX 470. Sennheiser also has smaller earbuds if the big ones are too big. Of those, the MX 471 was a favourite of many, although not mine.

I have had two models from AKG and they were also a bit dissapointing but better than the JVC or the Koss. That was a while ago and now they have new models on offer. Sony and Philips also have some models. Unfortunately there are not many people who are using earbuds AND do care for sound quality these days, so it is hard to find any reliable reviews regarding sound quality. (Amazon reviews are close to useless. HAF150 is quite well received in Amazon reviews - for my ears they are unusable.)

Last edited by Sleep mode zZ; 07-08-2015 at 12:15 PM.

Old 07-08-2015, 04:24 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The problem with traditional earbuds is that they fall out of the ears much too easily when one is active. Most are also bass deficient. I have been using IEMs when I am home, and at other times when it is safe to not hear my surroundings. When I am active and do need to hear my surroundings though, I use the JVC HA-EB75, which is earbuds with ear hooks. These stay on my ears while I am active, and let me hear my surroundings when I keep the music volume low. They have a very nice midrange and highs for the price(under $10) however they are bass deficient. Boosting the bass 8db on my player though makes them enjoyable to use for casual listening when I am active.

I tried some Panasonic ones, and they didn't stay on my ears, as the ear hooks were too large and not adjustable. I haven't tried the much more expensive Sennheiser ones.

http://av.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelId=MODL028669

Old 07-09-2015, 01:11 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
The problem with traditional earbuds is that they fall out of the ears much too easily when one is active. Most are also bass deficient.
I guess I've been lucky--haven't had these issues at all, with various Shure phones (looping the cables up over the ears).

Old 07-09-2015, 05:07 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
I guess I've been lucky--haven't had these issues at all, with various Shure phones (looping the cables up over the ears).
Shure doesn't make traditional earbuds. They only make isolating earphones.

Old 07-09-2015, 03:44 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yep, sorry, haven't had issues with in-ear buds such as Shures as well as Sonys, of the type with a rubber tip that grips onto or into the ear in some form. But I see that the OP really is interested in "on-ear" buds, such as those often covered in a foam-type covering--I've always found that those work best when one is stationary, as they have little keeping them in a definite place.

One variety I have used with some success is an on-ear bud attached to a "rubber hanger" that goes around the ear, keeping the bud in place--I purchased that specifically with exercise in mind.

Old 07-10-2015, 07:32 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
Yep, sorry, haven't had issues with in-ear buds such as Shures as well as Sonys, of the type with a rubber tip that grips onto or into the ear in some form. But I see that the OP really is interested in "on-ear" buds, such as those often covered in a foam-type covering--I've always found that those work best when one is stationary, as they have little keeping them in a definite place.

One variety I have used with some success is an on-ear bud attached to a "rubber hanger" that goes around the ear, keeping the bud in place--I purchased that specifically with exercise in mind.
The ones with the foam covering are traditional earbuds.