android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Old 07-21-2015, 03:33 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Question Question re SoundPEATS QY7 Bluetooth earbuds remote operation of music player

Just picked up a pair of SoundPEATS QY7 Bluetooth earbuds, to use with a Sony NWZ-A17 Walkman music player. Am pretty happy with them (and they're pretty amazing especially for the price)--and a nice feeling of freedom, without a headphone cable!

A question about the Bluetooth aspect, however, which I'm new to:

The earbuds have the ability to remotely control a device they're paired with, over the Bluetooth connection. They are supposed to be able to pause the other device’s playback, to start the playback again, to increase or lower the volume, and to go to the previous or the next track. They do all of this just fine with playback on my Windows 8.1 laptop. However, when connected to the Sony Walkman, the earbuds do not get the player to go to the next track or back to the last track (they do all the other things just fine)—instead, the player goes to the beginning of the next folder or the beginning of the last one.

Does anyone know why the Sony Walkman is acting differently than the player on my laptop, which operates as one might expect? Just an inconsistency with how Sony set the player up? I did notice that the Bluetooth remote control protocol version number on the earbuds is a slightly more recent version than that on the Sony player--I don't know if that might explain things.

Thanks--

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-21-2015, 06:56 AM
Ultra Senior Member

It might just be the default at which the Sony player comes with. There might be settings on the player to control what effects a remote control has.

Old 07-21-2015, 01:33 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Thanks. No options on the player to change the operation.

It is kind of odd--when I use the buds to go back or forward, for a very split section, the player might show on the screen that it is going to the next or previous track. But then it goes and sticks to the next or previous folder instead. And in a very few occasions, the player will in fact go to a next track, no differences having been made.

Perhaps, as you said, Sony's tech. decision as to the operation to be called up--I'm assuming that's the case. Of course, Sony's online tech. support has no idea about any of this (as far as I can tell, the so-called tech. support's ability is limited to doing key-word searches on Sony help articles, without any hands-on product knowledge--sigh (and then Sony has the audacity to ask you to rate the support)).

Old 07-21-2015, 01:38 PM
Banned

It's the player.

I have a Sony phone and various BT headphones (2 Sony). On the phone there is the option smart control, what to do when connected to a BT device - I have mine bring up the music app and it does skip/rewind individual tracks, pause volume etc.

Seems to be something Sony left out on this player along with the limited EQ options (-3 to +3 instead of the normal 10) compared with their phones.

Old 07-21-2015, 03:21 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Thanks--once I saw that the buds got my laptop's player to track advance, I thought that likely was the case; always nice to have a confirmation (and to know it's not an issue with the buds or otherwise).

I'm curious, however, if pairing the Sony player with some Sony (as versus other manf.) buds would bring track advance and rew/ff capabilities (but no, Sony tech. support (as it suggested to me), I'm not going to buy other buds just to see, lol ).

Old 07-21-2015, 04:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
Thanks--once I saw that the buds got my laptop's player to track advance, I thought that likely was the case; always nice to have a confirmation (and to know it's not an issue with the buds or otherwise).

I'm curious, however, if pairing the Sony player with some Sony (as versus other manf.) buds would bring track advance and rew/ff capabilities (but no, Sony tech. support (as it suggested to me), I'm not going to buy other buds just to see, lol ).
I would guess yes - Sony stuff always seems to work well with other Sony stuff.

Old 07-21-2015, 04:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Funny how that works, isn't it? Thanks (and I'll stick with my nice sales-priced buds).

Old 07-21-2015, 06:13 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
Thanks. No options on the player to change the operation.

It is kind of odd--when I use the buds to go back or forward, for a very split section, the player might show on the screen that it is going to the next or previous track. But then it goes and sticks to the next or previous folder instead. And in a very few occasions, the player will in fact go to a next track, no differences having been made.

Perhaps, as you said, Sony's tech. decision as to the operation to be called up--I'm assuming that's the case. Of course, Sony's online tech. support has no idea about any of this (as far as I can tell, the so-called tech. support's ability is limited to doing key-word searches on Sony help articles, without any hands-on product knowledge--sigh (and then Sony has the audacity to ask you to rate the support)).
Did you read the manual? Perhaps a very quick press does one thing, and a longer press a different thing, or perhaps two quick presses in a row does something different than one quick press, and different than one long press?
I have seen things like that with other devices.

Old 07-21-2015, 09:42 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Thanks, yep, think I got the presses right (not too many options there), but will putter around the next time I'm using them and let you know if some unknown combo. does something different. A good idea to experiment some.