android
Old 11-19-2013, 02:51 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Default SoundMagic PL30's + Panasonic RP-HJE900

So i was curious about grabbing a pair of those silicone rubbery behind ear guide things, wondering if they might help with keeping my Panasonic RP-HJE900's in place. I was finding it hard to find a cheap pair, a seller over here was selling a pair for $20!
During my search I stumbled upon the PL30's which come with earguides, and seeing as they were just $40AUD i thought what the heck, I get the earguides AND i get to compare them to the E10's and RP-HJE900's.

Well first impressions are they are very good. I whipped the bundled tips off and replaced with my preferred triple flange tips, I then placed them on and this is where I was most surprised. They are without a doubt the comfiest IEMs I have ever tried, and more bizarre is that I ALWAYS use triple flange tips on all my monitors...

I didn't understand, how could the shape of the monitor and the way they are intended to be worn change the feeling of the triple flange ear tip inside the ear canal!!? I don't know how but it does. It's almost as if they have that feeling of not properly being worn, like they need to be pushed in deeper, but lo behold that doesn't seem to be the case. They still sound fantastic like any other IEM I have tried.

I have yet to do an extensive test at work (which involves 8hrs continuous wearing and seeing how they compare to noise isolation such as vacuum background noise), will let u know sometime after Friday. I have also not fiddled with the bass ports yet, they seemed plenty bass at the default notch so will leave it for the time being.
My only gripe is the lack of instructions/info. The red and blue tips doesn't even tell u which is for which ear, I guessed red is right (and I was right), but there is no mentioning of the bass ports or anything bundled inside box :/

But the sound quality, comfort, ease of wear, lightness, behind ear design is pushing these IEMs to being my favorite.

Last edited by BruceBanner; 12-04-2013 at 01:45 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-19-2013, 09:12 AM

Good info, BB. I look forward to your further impressions.

Old 11-30-2013, 09:11 PM

Any new impressions?

Old 11-30-2013, 09:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yeh, so I been wearing them about a week now, sometimes short stints of an hour or two, other times a whole day nonstop. I wouldn't say I can notice much difference in terms of sq from then till now, I don't know if 'burn in' happens with these or not.

Coming from the RP-HJE900 I think the difference in sounds is that the PL-30's have less treble and the bass is 'boomier' at least I think that's the right term. The RP-HJE900 have a cleaner bass, more separation etc, but then again they were like 3x the price.

Comfort wise the PL30's do feel great, I have noticed however (when at the gym) that when I really grimace (lol) then tend to be pushed out a bit (needing some nudging back in time to time), something that doesn't happen with the RP-HJE900.
This leaves me to believe that the PL30's are indeed a shallower insertion which corresponds with a higher ease of comfort yet somehow that shallower insertion doesn't mean they easily slip out of ear or lesson in terms of sound isolation (I would say they are about the same as the RP-HJE900).

FYI The greatest natural noise cancelling sound isolatiing IEMs I have ever tried are the Etymotic range and Sony XBA range.

Price wise they are a fantastic buy.

I have had a couple of friends recently try IEMs (for the first time) and neither are particularly happy, it's due soley to not enjoying the insertion experience (some not pushing far enough in etc). I can understand this as I recall my first time trying IEMs, but i persevered and now I am so accustomed to them I can wear them all day without discomfort or complaint.
I wish I knew about these earlier, they might be perfect recommendation for the virgin IEMer.

The experience has made me rethink my RP-HJE900 tho, I enjoy the sound they deliver more but the inability to take behind the ear easily (which is really crucial for me) has actually prompted me to buy a sleek audio cable which terminates at a 90 degree angle, hopefully these paired with the RP-HJE900 will allow for a cleaner behind the ear fit and an overall happier bruce
I'll see when the cable arrives in like 4 weeks.... :|

Conclusion

I would recommend these to a person new to IEMs, the ease of comfort should help with appreciating what good sound quality can come from a pair of cheap IEMs.

I would recommend these to someone who exercises alot, or at least when being active. They fit extremely well and as long as yer not grimacing too much should stay in fine.

A harder thing to judge would be the difference between SoundMagic's E10s vs the PL30's, I think they sound about the same with the PL30's being more comfortable to wear and more exercise friendly. I'll have to dig the E10's out and compare sometime down the line...

Old 12-02-2013, 02:41 PM

Thanks for your detailed response, BB. I was looking at other SoundMAGIC IEMs to use while jogging so these are quickly moving to the top of that list. How are the microphonics? I find them to be too bothersome on my E10 to use them while jogging, but the old style cord they used to use on the E10 was smooth and more rubbery so it was quieter overall, though it seemed like it was more fragile. The picture you posted looks like the old style cord, so that would be a plus.
Actually, I don't really need new jogging IEMs. I currently use the JVC HA-EB75 which sound surprisingly good, and are probably the safest thing to wear while running in an urban area (since they're earbuds and you can hear you surroundings), but they're fairly uncomfortable for me. I've never been able to get along with earbuds because of the lack of comfort. Hopefully I'm don't grimace a lot while jogging (but I'm sure I do).
It would be interesting for someone to do a comparison of the PL30s versus the E30s.

Old 12-02-2013, 02:49 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Microphonics wise they are excellent. When you get them out of the box you can 'peel' the left and right channel cable apart from the main to a point which suits you best. Currently I have mine so left and right cable intersects at about mid/upper neck level, this means the cables hugs me better and less bouncing/banging.

I would struggle to imagine another pair of IEMs being better suited for something like jogging.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:44 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Sleek Audio cable came today, the interconnects from stock cable (panasonic) and sleek are quite big, I never knew the right angle of the sleep interconnects was so small. They fit very nicely when taken around the back of the ear.

The only criticism I have is the 'click' doesn't feel as strong as stock cable, I can see (if I'm not careful) actually losing the ear bud. It's not like they will fall off on their own accord, just its noticeably not as tight and secure as the Panasonic cable.
Sound wise I hear no difference.

Old 12-04-2013, 04:48 AM
Ultra Senior Member

"I currently use the JVC HA-EB75 which sound surprisingly good, and are probably the safest thing to wear while running in an urban area "

I'm glad some people are taking my advice. I find the treble and midrange of the JVC HA-EB75 to be decent enough, and when I boost the bass 8db on my player, the HA-EB75 is quite pleasant to use. The Panasonic RP-HS33 sounds better than the JVC HA-EB75, however the RP-HS33 seems to be designed for huge ears, and isn't adjustable, so for those with ears that are not large the RP-HS33 may not stay on. A pity, as the RP-HS33 sounds so good, yet is inexpensive. Those with large ears should buy it.

Old 12-04-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBanner View Post
Sleek Audio cable came today,...
The only criticism I have is the 'click' doesn't feel as strong as stock cable, I can see (if I'm not careful) actually losing the ear bud. It's not like they will fall off on their own accord, just its noticeably not as tight and secure as the Panasonic cable.
The connectors on my Sleek Audio cables (I have the straight - not 90°) are definitely looser than the Panasonic cables. And one side was noticeably looser than the other. I swapped phones L-R / R-L and that helped. By I also resorted to tape to hold them on, otherwise the phones would come off. Used transparent packing tape (thinner and stickier than "Scotch" type office / household tape) which I trimmed down to a few mm width. It works fine. No troubles since. But I'd prefer to have working original cables.

Old 12-04-2013, 01:39 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I will definitely hold onto my original cables as a backup, the sleek audio do appear more fragile.

Old 12-28-2013, 11:07 AM

Bruce Banner, I ordered a set of these. I'll post my impressions when I get them.

Old 12-28-2013, 03:14 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The PL30's? or the Panas?

Old 12-28-2013, 08:30 PM

Oh, whoops. The SoundMAGICs. Sorry.

Old 03-07-2014, 06:48 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawningistheday View Post
Oh, whoops. The SoundMAGICs. Sorry.
I see you know have the E10's, E30's and PL30's, which do you like the most?

Old 03-07-2014, 09:31 PM

Well, I feel they're all pretty close, but for sound quality I prefer the E30 to the others. I honestly like its physical design the least though. It's hard to fit, and though it's very similar to the PL30, they (the PL30s) are far easier to put on and immediately get a good fit. I use Comply tips with my E30s and that helps a lot.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:34 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I use exclusively triple flange tips on all my IEMs, do you think that would help with the E30's? I know many cant take the depth of triple flange..

Old 03-08-2014, 01:26 AM

Yes, I think that would help a lot. The E30's nozzle/barrel (whatever it's called) is too short, so whatever gives it more length would help.

Old 03-08-2014, 02:57 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I'll put them on my 'to buy' list