android
Old 01-21-2007, 09:53 PM

Default kinda stupid question

If i attached a 3.5mm to 6.3mm adapter to the end of my earphones and then attached a 6.3mm to 3.5mm adapater to the end of the first adapter and then plugged it into my mp3 player,would it work and would there be a noticeable reduction in sound quality/volume? I know you're probably wondering why im doin this,but i wanted to add some bling to my player setup,i looked for good lookin 3.5mm to 3.5mm plugs but couldnt find any,so this is the best i can come up with. Any tips/help much welcome

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-21-2007, 09:56 PM
Ultra Senior Member

i don't think there would be a noticeable difference in SQ...but it is a rather odd thing to do IMHO...

Old 01-21-2007, 10:07 PM
ABI Invaluable

As long as the cables used are of decent build and quality, they shouldn't impact the sound quality at all.

But, man, people are sure going to look at you funny!

Edited: I just realized something else - If you decide to go through with that plan, be extremely careful with it! That much solid height above the headphone jack significantly increases leverage and the chance of causing severe damage to the headphone jack if you bump the thing.

Old 01-21-2007, 10:11 PM
Ultra Senior Member

yep...torque = force x distance...lol...damn engineering school

Old 01-21-2007, 11:05 PM

Yeh i know people would probably look at me funny,lol,i havent decided if i want to do it yet,might just look like a big stupid thing sticking out of the top of my mp3 player.These are the ones i was considering,the silver one looks awesome,but the 6.3mm to 3.5mm one looks fairly rubbish and i cant find any better looking ones,bah

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Metal-3-5mm-Pl...QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/6-3mm-Plug-to-...QQcmdZViewItem

Uhh,found one on amazon that looks the same as the other one,nice,this could work,depending on how large they are http://www.amazon.co.uk/Adaptor-6-3m...&s=electronics

Old 01-22-2007, 03:05 PM

I wouldn't call it 'bling' I'd call it 'wasted money'. Now if you have a stereo with a 6.3mm headphone jack that you want to use then it makes a bit more sense. But if you're doing it solely for the looks then I'm worried about the state of your mental health. I don't know anybody out there who would think that's a good look.

My Deviant Art page - they make great wallpapers

Old 01-22-2007, 03:35 PM

Ouch. A tad bit hostile, don't you think? Perhaps you need a hug, and a role model.

Old 01-22-2007, 03:42 PM

My concern is that with all those interfaces there is a greater possibility of oxidation and increased resistance.

In general, the fewer the connections within a signal path, the cleaner the signal.

My advice, leave your DAP/ headphones alone and either get a purple mohawk cut or wear a single skull earring

Rock On

Old 01-22-2007, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aardvark View Post

My advice, leave your DAP/ headphones alone and either get a purple mohawk cut or wear a single skull earring

Rock On
Im sure his parents will be thrilled with your advice....

Listen daveiswhateverthehellyournameis, Quit trying to be a damn fashion statement. Concentrate your efforts on your studies, and try to make something of yourself.

I hope you find the way, young jedi.

Old 01-22-2007, 03:54 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Wahahaha... "bling"!

Get a decent high-end studio-quality Neutrik plug and solder it to your phones... that's ear-candy, not eye-candy.

Old 01-22-2007, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Wahahaha... "bling"!
You guys are gonna give the poor kid a complex!!

Old 01-22-2007, 04:16 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDGAFFLIN View Post
You guys are gonna give the poor kid a complex!!
If he needs blinged-out $2 audio-plug adapters, there might be a chance he already has some issues to deal with... besides broken phone-jacks due to the massive strain of several adapters plugged into them.

Daveisbest - don't take it personally... just kidding!

Old 01-22-2007, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
If he needs blinged-out $2 audio-plug adapters, there might be a chance he already has some issues to deal with... besides broken phone-jacks due to the massive strain of several adapters plugged into them.

Daveisbest - don't take it personally... just kidding!

Well, on the other hand, at least the thread title was accurate!

Old 01-22-2007, 05:29 PM

lol nah its kool man i dont take anythin seriously,and yeh i am actually a bit messed up in the head . Actually dude,now that you mention it,one of those neutrik plugs is actually pretty awesome lookin http://www.neutrik.com/content/produ...=CatMSDE_audio. Is it easy to take the plug off earphones and put a new one on? my dad can solder and stuff pretty well so i might ask him to do it.

Old 01-22-2007, 05:35 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Neutrik are some of the highest quality plugs you can find, they're used in recording studios and broadcasting stations worldwide. None of that braindead overpriced "audiophile" mumbo-jumbo, but reliable solid quality for real world usage.

It's fairly easy to solder a Neutrik plug to your headphone's cable - these plugs are built for DIY usage. I put one on my Beyerdynamic headphones, cause I hate straight plugs and wanted an angled one.

The link you posted is for the cheaper one, without gold plated connects, but it should do just fine. I believe that there's no real difference to the more expensive gold plated one I posted above.

I guess the shiny silver one is just as good, and maybe $2 less expensive.

It should be available in any decent guitar or studio electronics shop, but probably not at crappy retailers like Radio Shack or the like.

Old 01-22-2007, 06:20 PM

Kind of stupid?

Old 01-22-2007, 06:55 PM

lol at above post. thanks dfkt man,i live in the uk so it was particularly difficult to find the ones i wanted,but managed to eventually after trawling through google. http://www.connectronics.uk.com/Jack.htm in the very bottom left,will probably order 2 or 3,as long as they have them in stock. Again no gold connectors,but im not that bothered,plus they would look stupid with gold plated plugs. lol as you can tell im a style over substance type of guy

Old 01-22-2007, 07:02 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Heh, alright - you won't see the gold anyways when it's plugged in, but the shiny silver one is purdy, I get it.

Just out of curiosity, what headphones do you intend to solder it on to? (Please don't tell me you're using the stock earbuds that came with your player! - If you want bling, get the V-Moda Vibes...)

Old 01-22-2007, 07:31 PM

lol nah man not the stock earphones,as for the vibes,yeh i think they look awesome and sound awesome too from what ive heard but i dunno if im prepared to pay that amount of money for some headphones. Currently i have fake audio technica ec7's, they look exactly the same as the real ones and sound decent so i might solder one of the plugs to the end of them. Im also thinkin about buyin senn cx300's,but i guess vmoda's arent that much more expensive so i dunno. Only problem with the vibes are i'd have to import them since theyre not available here in the UK as far as i can tell. I seen them for 70 bucks including shipping on ebay,so like 40 quid,but ebay always gotta be careful with fakes and whatnot

Old 01-22-2007, 07:37 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Oh yeah, the EC7 look nice... kinda like the Bang & Olufsen A8, but less overpriced and certainly better sounding.

I got both, the Vibes and the CX300, they're both fine for the stuff they do... the Vibes are clear and crisp, but don't block outside noise, the CX's are really bass heavy and isolate fairly well.