android
Old 01-27-2007, 11:58 AM

getiing my reply tommorow guys on either repaired sansa or replacement

so what do u think repaired or replaced i really want a replacemnt cause mine is full of dammn scratches

and want a new one

and can i ask for 8 gb one as for the troubles i had

or i get the 2 gb and get the rest cash

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-27-2007, 12:07 PM

For ultimate scratch protection, use Best Skins Ever or Invisible Shield. (Look in the accesories section for details).

I don't think they will compensate for your troubles by giving you a 8GB model or by giving you cash, though, buy it costs nothing to ask...

Old 01-27-2007, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSV View Post
Dropping an empty file named "sansa.fmt" in the main partition in MSC mode or in the "16MB FORMAT" drive in recovery mode can also force a reformatting.

Firmware .exe are not essential for anything.
Well I hadn't been able to locate that tip before, and I tried. I'll have to remember that.

Old 01-27-2007, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSV View Post
If I am not mistaken, only the 01.00.12 standalone installer will let you downgrade. Other standalone installers will read the current version on your device and will only allow upgrades.
Okay, so like I originally said then, get the 1.00.12.exe. OR, as you just pointed out, use the sansa.fmt trick.

So, to "thebomber" -- have you tried any of these procedures to go back to an old firmware and reformat? Or are you just giving up and going to RMA?

Old 01-27-2007, 05:14 PM

i swear man i tried all these stuff before going rma

and tommorow i will get my reply onm replacemnt or fix

damm it has been a whole week since i sent the player

i am thinking of cash refund as the player has done 10 dayz only and thats lame for an mp3 player to do soo

Old 01-27-2007, 11:52 PM

wtf why would you request an RMA or replacement when you can just return it back to the store? You say it's only been 10 days, just return it and get a new one

Old 01-28-2007, 01:16 AM

Smile Please help!!!! With Firmware

Hello
My name is eddie and ive been having a problem with my sansa e200.
I had gotten the message on my screen a while back saying,"load image failed switch to recovery mode".I looked everywhere a was lucky to find this sight. Anyways i followed the instructions of someone by the name of "JSV" in this link http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ead.php?t=8307.I did exactly what it said. as soon as my sansa reboots the screen gets frozen and stays on just showing the "SanDisk" logo. Can anyone please help me, i would greatly appreciate it.

Thank You,
Eddie

Old 01-28-2007, 06:06 AM

look its not exactly 10 dayz

its around 14 dayz to be sure

they said only 10 dayz if more screw u and go rma

and i will get my damm reply in about an hour or so from the warenty in my place damm it i want cash refund

and i will go get the 2 gb no use for 6 gb

Old 01-28-2007, 10:45 AM

Eddie,

Your link doesnt work, so I can't be sure of what you did.

Make sure you use the right firmware for your Sansa. There are two kind of firmwares: one kind for regular (e2xx) Sansas, and the other for the Rhapsody (e2xxR) Sansas.

What firmware version was on your Sansa before it first broke? What firmware version did you put in your Sansa when you tried to fix it?

Can you still access the recovery mode?

Old 01-28-2007, 05:05 PM

i can access the recovery mode but after i dump the firmware files or any damm file after cable removal it gets erased alos the version file gets rebuilt in a corrupted form

damm i called the warrenty they say it was fixed

i call the shop from where i rma'ed my sansa they say they r liars nothing was fixed and nothin came from the warrenty still

they told me on tuesday

they warrnety is lying wtf somethin is wrong in the connection i think or else the warrenty in egypt are thives

the man at compume told me some one went to the warrenty and his sansa stayed for 1.5 month and they told him misuse

any damn problem misuse

that the hell is this

i hope he doesn't tell me misuse or else i swear i will go kick some butt misuse in 2 weeks oh ya thats right i will show them when i smash thier shop

Old 01-28-2007, 06:37 PM

JSV,
Im not exactly sure what kind of firmware my sansa had before. This is what i downloaded and put on my sansa when it first broke also the link that you said didnt work,

#5 01-22-2007, 10:38 AM
JSV
Senior Member Join Date: Jun 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While I cannot be 100% sure of that, I think that for as long as you can access recovery mode, your sansa can be salvaged, unless there is a hardware problem.

I would suggest you do the following, if everything else failed:

The following procedure is for an e200 Sansa. If you have a Rhapsody model (e200R), then sorry, I can't help you.

1-Go to this link and download the .zip file corresponding to your model (A for america, with radio, E for europe, without radio). Extract the two files from this .zip using winrar or winzip software. You should get two files: one named "BL_SD_BOARDSUPPORTSD.ROM" and the other named "PP5022.MI4". If you have tried to install the experimental hebrew language firmware, you must rename these files "pribootLoader.rom" and "firmware.mi4" respectively. respect the case.

2-Open the notepad and save an untitled, empty document to your desktop. Quit notepad and rename the untitled document like this: "sansa.fmt".

3-Put your Sansa in recovery mode ("Welcome to recovery mode" must be displayed on the Sansa screen, confirming that recovery mode is correctly accessed) Connect your Sansa to your computer and open the drive called "16MB FORMAT".

4-Put the .mi4, the .rom and the sansa.fmt files in the 16MB FORMAT drive.

5-SAFELY disconnect your sansa (first disconnect by clicking in the icon in the taskbar, then unplug the wire from your Sansa)

6-Your Sansa should reformat, then reinstall it's firmware. If this doesn't work, you may have to insist. Repeat the whole process 2 or 3 times. You may also try to place only the sansa.fmt file to see if it works.

The above process allows a formatting without having to use a Sandisk upgrade .exe file or the Sansa auto-updater. A file named "sansa.fmt" placed in the 16mb drive in recovery mode is all it takes to force a reformat.

I once had a similar problem (either I got the "loading main image failed" error or a perpetual reboot, and nothing, not even Slayer's ultimate fix, could solve it, but the "special format file" method I described above did it. Good luck.

PLEASE REPLY BACK SOON JSV, THANK YOU

Old 01-28-2007, 10:50 PM

Eddie,

The procedure you followed is maybe not the best because it doesn't force a firmware downgrade on your Sansa if it already have the latest firmware installed. I was not aware of everything I should when I wrote it.

There is a better way to fix it, and I'll assist you the best I can with it. Just answer my questions first.

FIRST, I want you to confirm me what kind of Sansa you have. Is it a regular (e2xx) or a Rhapsody (e2xxR)? This is very important.

You said in your first post that your Sansa get stuck at the logo screen. But it isn't clear: Does it get stuck when you try to turn it on normally or when you try to access the recovery mode?

SECOND, I need to know if you can access the recovery mode. Here is the full procedure to access it:

1-Make sure your Sansa is off. If it is on and you can't normally turn it off, you can force it off by holding the power button until it turns off (you must hold it about 10-20 seconds for this).

2-Once you are sure it's off, put the hold switch in the locked position. (slide it towards the headphone jack. You must see the orange color)

3-Press and hold the record button.

4-Press and release the power button.

5-Keep holding the record button down until you see "Welcome to recovery mode" on the Sansa screen.

IF you can't acces recovery mode, try removing the battery for a couple hours (remove the four small screws on the back to access the battery. You need a #0 Phillips screwdriver for this. Removing the battery doesn't void the warranty.), then put it back in and retry accessing the recovery mode.

If you still can't access the recovery mode, then I'm afraid there is nothing else I can do to help you. Ask for exchange, repair or refund where you bought it.

If you can access recovery mode, then there are good chances you can fix everything.

If you have a regular Sansa (non-Rhapsody) do the following (This procedure is similar to the one you tried earlier, but it uses different firmware files):

Download the file named "firmware 01..01.11A.ZIP" available at this link:
http://www.yourfilehost.com/media.ph...e_1.01.11a.zip

Extract that zip file using Winzip or Winrar.

Connect your sansa IN RECOVERY MODE to your computer. You should now have a drive named "16MB FORMAT" available.

Drop the three extracted files (BL_SD_boardSupportSD.rom , PP5022.mi4 , and sansa.fmt) in the drive named "16MB FORMAT"

When files are transferred, safely disconnect your Sansa (an icon for this should be available in the right side of the taskbar.)

Unplug your sansa. Put the hold switch in the unlocked position.

Wait for the process to finish.

If this work, your sansa will be formatted and will have version 01.01.11A installed. When it's done, you can install back the latest firmware by using the Sandisk uptater available at Sandisk.com

Let me know if this works or not.

Old 01-29-2007, 01:42 AM

JSV,
Before i get started i want to thank you for helping me out. Now that thats through lets get down to buisness. I tried your method once and it failed in which you asked me to download and put the http://www.yourfilehost.com/media.ph...e_1.01.11a.zip file on my sansa. to answer one of your questions the screen gets frozen when i have already installed the .mi4, .fmt, and .rom files and try to turn it on in normal mode. This means that yes i can access the Recovery Mode. Also I just dont know how to tell if my sansa is a normal one or the Rhapsody version that you mentioned. How can I tell? I wish i knew but as you can see i dont know much about electronics. Im a dork when it comes to these things. I appreciate the help even though it is not fixable. Please write back and take your time.

Thanks,
Eddie

Old 01-29-2007, 02:12 AM

Check the back of your Sansa for the model number. It can only be one of these: e250, e260, e270, e280, e250R, e260R, e270R or e280R.

If there is the letter R in the model number, it is a Rhapsody version. The difference in numbers are just indicating the capacity (2gb for 250, 4gb for 260 etc...)

If you followed the instructions in the message you copy-pasted in post #31 above, then it means that you used firmware 01.02.15 for non-Rhapsody Sansa. As I said earlier, this process is not the best.

In order to fix your player, we must clear up every bad traces of data by re-formatting and downgrading the firmware.

But before we continue, tell me wether your Sansa is Rhapsody version or not.

Old 01-29-2007, 03:05 AM

Eddie,

Another thing you can do right now to help me helping you...

Put your Sansa in recovery mode and connect it to your PC.

In the "16MB FORMAT" drive, there should be a file named "VERSION.TXT"

Open this file with notepad and copy-paste it's text content in your next reply here.

Old 01-29-2007, 11:52 AM

well if i had this problem again man i will paste it
i got a replacemnt for the sansa

but to help u what was written in the version file was all squares

even the company didn't knw what went wrong

but the main cause was rockbox and i knw it i was installing counterstrike and so and forgot to place the original firmware in the system folder

and i formatted the 16 mb partition and it lead to disasters

thanks god i got a replacemnt

man i don't know how i messed it up in rockbox cause i was in a hurry

Old 01-29-2007, 05:52 PM

If you install rockbox without *carefully* following all the instructions--especially the parts about setting up the dual-boot features, I could see you getting into a bind like that. If you don't properly install the rockbox.e200 file and the .rockbox folder, and/or don't properly create the *decrypted* OF.bin file, you'll be unable to boot rockbox or the original firmware.

You'll also end up in the same predicament if you try to install Rockbox on a Rhapsody model, I believe, since we don't have the original bootloader for it yet.

Old 01-29-2007, 11:45 PM

JSV,
I did what you said and the back of may sansa shows that its a model:e250. Here is also a copy of the version.txt file that i found in my sansas recovery mode.

Version Info: Product Rev.: PP5022AF-05.51-S301-01.11-S301.01.11A-D
Base Code: 05.51-S301-01.11-S301.01.11A-D
ODM Ver.: S301-01.11-S301.01.11A-D
OEM Ver.: S301.01.11A-D
Build Type: -D
Build Date: 2006.07.14
Build Number: (Build 169.31)

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Eddie

Old 01-30-2007, 11:43 AM

Ok. Now, we know that your player is not a Rhapsody model, and that the firmware isntalled on it is 01.01.11A

So, it was useless for me to ask you earlier to downgrade to 01.01.11 because it was already the version on it. I thik you can't overwrite a version with itself, so that's why the bad files were not cleared.

What you need to do now, I am not certain, there is two ways, and each of them can work. It's heads or tails, really, but if one doesn't work, it won't keep you from using the other.

-Either you format-downgrade to the earliest version available (01.00.12) and then reinstall the latest version. This solution worked for a lot of people with similar problem, so much that moderator Slaughter use it in his "ultimate fix" signature. But, I don't like this solution: version 01.00.12 is very unstable on my Sansa, and you may have to try a few times before it installs correctly. To do this, download and execute this file when your sansa is connected to your computer in RECOVERY mode:
(This process is automatic. You don't have to manually transfer files in your Sansa)
http://www.sandisk.com/Assets/File/D...fw01.00.12.exe
Follow the instructions on your screen and accept to reformat when asked to do so.
If things goes well, you will have a functional Sansa after this, but even though it may seem to work well, I suggest you don't leave firmware 01.00.12 for too long on it. As I said, this old firmware is very unstable, plus, it doesn't have some features that later versions have (Like custom graphic equaliser, or the "press and hold center button on a highlighted song to add this song to the Go List, etc). You really should install the latest version once your Sansa has been properly "cleaned". Use the auto-updater available at Sandisk.com for this.

-The other way would be to try formatting and installing the latest firmware (01.02.15) right now. I don't suggest using the Sandisk auto updater for this, because it doesn't allow reformatting, and we need to reformat your player to make sure everything is properly "cleaned". Unfortunately, only firmware 01.00.12 have a standalone installer that gives you the option to reformat.

Proceed like before: Connect your Sansa in recovery mode to your computer, and transfer the latest version's .mi4 and .rom files, as well as the "sansa.fmt" empty file that triggers the formatting. Safely disconnect and this should be it. If it doesn't work, try using the first bethod described above if you didn't tried it already.

Recently, member Zefie has made available all known firmwares at his website (LINK), so download the 01.02.15 file that matches your region (A for America, E for Europe, J for Japan, F for France and P for Pacific). Download and extract it to get the .mi4 and .rom files you need.

Do not use version 1.03.01. This version is experimental!

Old 02-01-2007, 11:16 PM

JSV,

I tried doing the downgrading process and try to install the 01.00.12 version. The wierdest thing happened though right after i had unplugged it. My whole screen turned into the rows of identical patterns and they began to scroll down. From then on after while i try to repeat the process right after i safely disconnect the sansa my screen goes blank and the player is still on. Is this normal? And no i have still not fixed my sansa yet.

Thanks,
Eddie