android
Old 01-21-2007, 06:03 PM

Unhappy Load main image failed help:(

hi all loading the main image failed

tells me to switch to recovary mode and i do

and place the firmware in the 16 mb partition

but after all this i remove the cable the damm player removes the files

and tells me usb mode 2 exit some crap like that and doesn't install anything or format

help needed fast

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-21-2007, 06:23 PM
Ultra Senior Member

What firmware were you trying to load that failed and what firmware are you trying to put on in recovery mode?

How To Remove the Hebrew Beta firmware

Old 01-21-2007, 07:08 PM

the latest one not the 1.3 hebrew

but 1.25 or somethin like that the latest version and i am trying to load any firmware i tried all and nothin

by the way i formated the 16 mb partion by accident and the version file contains some crap info

Old 01-21-2007, 07:42 PM

oh more stuff to add when i connect the usb in recovery it tells me usb connected then it says enter usb 2 msd mode

what the heck is dat

Old 01-21-2007, 08:19 PM

oh i figured the thingy out i have a problem in the file version in the 16 mb partition

because when i use the 1.0 something software it tellms me its ready and will read the file i press next and says application error

so can i replace the file or what

Old 01-21-2007, 08:36 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Just delete the version.txt and it will be recreated on startup.

Old 01-21-2007, 08:44 PM

i did man and when i finish the recovary mode here is what is written each time

usb cable connected
enter usb2.0 msd mode

safe to disconnect usb
exit usb2.0 mode

thats all nothin else i even deleted the verion file as it rebuids a new corrupted one and made one from some reverse engineer and installed and formatted the player as in yr sig and removed the cable for starting of format and soo

but everytime i get this damm message

Old 01-21-2007, 09:51 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Have you tried installing the firmware with the executable in my sig? I dont mean placing the files in the 16MB partition.

Old 01-22-2007, 05:12 AM

yes man i got a new version file and placed it in the 16 mb partiton and after that installed the firmware and asked me if i wanna format i said yes

and then after it finished i removed the cable so it should start

but it just says exit usb mode 2 and does nothing

Old 01-22-2007, 12:34 PM
Ultra Senior Member

How did you format the 16mb partition? Windows wont let you. However you did it, did you format it in FAT32? If so, can you reformat it in FAT?

Old 01-22-2007, 01:12 PM

Thebomber: I have answered you with a different procedure in your other thread:

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ead.php?t=8307

Slaughter: firmware 01.00.12 has always been very buggy and chaotic on my e270, (files got corrupted after a short while, and even the OS could stop working, giving me the "loading main image failed" error often.)

Subsequent firmwares solved this in my case, so maybe it is not such a good idea to suggest using a 01.00.12.exe to fix problems.

Old 01-22-2007, 01:53 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSV View Post
Thebomber: I have answered you with a different procedure in your other thread:

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ead.php?t=8307

Slaughter: firmware 01.00.12 has always been very buggy and chaotic on my e270, (files got corrupted after a short while, and even the OS could stop working, giving me the "loading main image failed" error often.)

Subsequent firmwares solved this in my case, so maybe it is not such a good idea to suggest using a 01.00.12.exe to fix problems.
The reason I suggest it is because it is the only downloadable firmware from Sandisk so there is no worry about a rapidshare timing out, ect.. and it is in executable for for the technically challenged. I never meant for the .12 to be used as a final firmware, only to fix your current issue, then upgrade via sansa updater. The reason for this is that with .15, you cant load the same version firmware on top of it self, it reads it as being the same and does nothing. I will update my sig.

Old 01-22-2007, 02:23 PM

Hmm, maybe then downgrading temporarily to 01.01.xx would be better. These were much more stable than 01.00.12.

Sansa should indeed give access to previous firmware's .rom and .mi4, instead of just the autoupdater or the 01.00.12 .exe.

I have a feeling that this .exe updates file from Sandisk is not that good. I prefer to manually place .rom and .mi4 files myself (and the "sansa.fmt" if I want to format.)

Old 01-22-2007, 07:08 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSV View Post
Hmm, maybe then downgrading temporarily to 01.01.xx would be better. These were much more stable than 01.00.12.

Sansa should indeed give access to previous firmware's .rom and .mi4, instead of just the autoupdater or the 01.00.12 .exe.

I have a feeling that this .exe updates file from Sandisk is not that good. I prefer to manually place .rom and .mi4 files myself (and the "sansa.fmt" if I want to format.)
I agree, I never use the executable, but my ultimate fix is for people having trouble and my fix is meant to be as easy as possible. Sandisk should provide access but I think they want to control the firmware process and they believe the newest is the best so everyone should use that one and update using the Updater.

Old 01-25-2007, 08:58 PM

You are free to create an SFX archive using any of my archived firmwares. these are pulls straight from the update server.

http://zefie.com/files/sansa/e200/firmware/

Old 01-27-2007, 08:11 AM

I have personally fixed my player using Slaughter's method. I have told other people to do the same, and they have had it work for them.

If you are having a firmware problem and you can't fix it, then try his method. If that doesn't work, then I think you're close to being screwed.

Old 01-27-2007, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackcass View Post
I have personally fixed my player using Slaughter's method. I have told other people to do the same, and they have had it work for them.

If you are having a firmware problem and you can't fix it, then try his method. If that doesn't work, then I think you're close to being screwed.
As I said earlier, I don't think that firmware 01.00.12 can be fully trusted, even for temporary downgrades. It might work for some, but not all.

When I bought my e270, only 01.00.12 was available, and I had very frequent data corruption problems. (songs became unplayable, a part of song y could play in the middle of song x, video were unusable, OS became corrupted after a few days, giving the "loading main image failed" error, so I had to reformat-reinstall the FW too frequently.)

I've been a member of this forum since that time, and I noticed that not everyone had these corruption problems with 01.00.12. I guess this may be because there are different HARDWARE versions for the Sansa e2xx. 01.01.xx (and subsequent) perfectly fixed these data corruption problems I had, so it means that my Sansa has no hardware defects.

If I downgrade to 01.00.12, the data corruption problems reappears in my Sansa.

I understand that downgrading to 01.00.12 is easier for newbies because it is an automatic process, but still, I believe that this FW can be very unstable and problematic.

Edit: I don't know if downgrading to 01.00.12 can worsen things though. I've always been able to recover, even when everything was completely messed-up. Maybe I was lucky. That is why I suggest to downgrade to 01.01.11 instead.

Old 01-27-2007, 11:01 AM

It doesn't matter. Downgrade to whatever firmware version that has a standalone .exe installer. Even if you think the firmware is unstable, who cares? It lets you recover functionality, then you can immediately put the latest firmware back on.

And I don't think it's just that the .exe is good for "newbies"... I think it does some things that you can't do by a manual firmware install. When you run the firmware .exe, after it loads the firmware, it asks if you would like to reformat the player after it reboots. I have not found a way to do this with a manual install. This is what fixed mine, and has fixed so many others that get stuck in booting problems. You tell it to reformat, and then when it restarts with the "new" firmware, instead of trying to start reading its disk, it just reformats it.

Anyway, this solution will work with whatever firmware you can find that comes with a .exe install... whether it's 1.01.11 or 1.01.12... it doesn't matter.

Old 01-27-2007, 11:22 AM

Quote:
When you run the firmware .exe, after it loads the firmware, it asks if you would like to reformat the player after it reboots. I have not found a way to do this with a manual install.

Dropping an empty file named "sansa.fmt" in the main partition in MSC mode or in the "16MB FORMAT" drive in recovery mode can also force a reformatting.

Firmware .exe are not essential for anything.

Old 01-27-2007, 11:41 AM

Default I forgot:

Quote:
It doesn't matter. Downgrade to whatever firmware version that has a standalone .exe installer.
If I am not mistaken, only the 01.00.12 standalone installer will let you downgrade. Other standalone installers will read the current version on your device and will only allow upgrades.