android
Old 12-15-2006, 06:14 AM
Banned

http://ffmpeg.mplayerhq.hu/ffmpeg-doc.html#TOC24

According to ffmpeg docs, MJPEG-B decoding is supported, but ENCODING is not. That means until ffmpeg adds this support, making videos for the Sansa using ffmpeg (and thus mencoder.... and thus period) is simply not possible.

I certainly hope I'm wrong, but this is my sad understanding of the matter.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-17-2006, 02:41 PM

Please see my previous post.
The required pixel format is yuvj422p.
mencoder does not support it, thus the wrong colours...
Until somebody implements it in mplayer, forget it ...

Old 12-19-2006, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chammi View Post

I'm wondering if the converter doesn't write to an index file of some sort when it moves the images onto the player?
My next experiment to check this out: I'll take an image off the player and then try putting it back on.

UPDATE: it doesn't seem to: I can copy a sample art image on the Sansa and the copy displays okie-dokie.
Would you know how to do what this guy did only using GIMP?

From post: http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ight=photoshop
Quote:

I decided it can't be such a mystery, so I played with Photoshop for a couple of hours. So here's what I got using the trial and error technique.

To save in the format of the player (in Photoshop), simply save the file as a .bmp and when presented with options about the type of .bmp, click "Advanced Modes". Check the "R5 G6 B5", found under the "16 bit" option. Make sure you choose the "Flip Order Option" or the photos will be upside down when you view them.

Additional things I've discovered - you can use any file of any width and height, just as long as it doesn't exceed 1700kb in file size. I tried different sized bitmaps and at some point I got a 1733kb file, which I was able to open the first time I disconnected the player, but not after that - which is kind of strange, but might be an indication that 1700kb is around the maximum file size the player can handle. Thumbnails are automatically shown by the player (resizing the original files, without creating a thumbnail file).

Oh, and something additional. Seems that the 176x224 resolution is well within the Sansa's screen abilities - when I uploaded a bigger bitmap of the same image, the quality was visibly better.

Hope that was useful, especially to the Linux guys. I don't get why there isn't jpeg support!

@smoore or anyone aware - what are the tech details of the video files, so I can try and use another converter?

Old 12-19-2006, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poison View Post
Please see my previous post.
The required pixel format is yuvj422p.
mencoder does not support it, thus the wrong colours...
Until somebody implements it in mplayer, forget it ...
I don't know how much help this could be but I was looking around in the forums and I stumbled upon one talking about different ways of encoding the sansa video and somebody metioned a program called super http://www.erightsoft.net/SUPER.html.
When I looked at the website for this thing it stated that it was a gui for windows to programs such as ffmpeg, mencoder... and a bunch more open source linux apps. If they can figure this out I'm sure we can.

This is from post: http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ighlight=super.

The guy is not a advertising person and the only mentioned problem was image size.

Just a thought!

Old 12-20-2006, 07:15 PM

http://ursine.dyndns.org/cgi-bin/dww...codecs.conf.gz

Has an entry for mjpegb.

Not sure if this is any use, I'm just starting out on the video encoding path and am still using my windows box for the Sansa.

Edit: On further examination, seems to be for the decoder

Old 12-21-2006, 10:42 PM

Any other thoughts. Any success with gimp or this Super Program

Old 12-22-2006, 10:44 PM

You guys are troopers. Keep up the good work. I'll be throwing my hat into the ring and start by trying to get linux prepared photos to show up on my e260r.

For the record, I could get the "Sansa media converter" to install in both wine (0.9.25) and crossover office (6.0.0.beta3a), but both fail to run the program.

Good luck everyone.

Old 12-25-2006, 01:37 PM

has anybody figured out banshee support? I cant figure out how to edit the file correctly and putting the .is_audio_player file in the root directy doesnt seem to work.

Old 12-25-2006, 08:37 PM

Default Just added support to banshee...

Quote:
Originally Posted by a12ctic View Post
has anybody figured out banshee support? I cant figure out how to edit the file correctly and putting the .is_audio_player file in the root directy doesnt seem to work.
Just added support to banshee... It's quite easy:

1.Set your sansa in MSC mode.
2.Connect it to the computer.
3. In the root folder of your sansa create a text file( If you are using GNOME use the following in nautilus: right click-> Create a document-> empty file. This might work for KDE but I'm not sure...)
4.Now, name your file as .is_audio_player

Start Banshee and it should recognize it

BTW I'm using the CVS version of Banshee

Old 12-25-2006, 09:02 PM

Yeah, Ive already been transfering music to it for a couple of weeks, just downloaded suse 10.2 and i figured id have banshee support,. I have the .is_audio_player file in /media/Sansa 260/, it just doesnt do anything.

Old 12-26-2006, 12:47 AM

Check the /usr/share/hal/fdi/information/10freedesktop/10-usb-music-players.fdi file to see if you have something like this:

HTML Code:
<!-- Sandisk Corp. Sansa e270 (maybe others as well) -->
      <match key="@storage.physical_device:usb.vendor_id" int="0x0781">
        <match key="@storage.physical_device:usb.product_id" int="0x7421">
           <append key="info.capabilities" type="strlist">portable_audio_player</append>
           <merge key="info.category" type="string">portable_audio_player</merge>
           <merge key="portable_audio_player.type" type="string">generic</merge>
           <merge key="portable_audio_player.access_method" type="string">storage</merge>
           <merge key="portable_audio_player.storage_device" type="copy_property">info.udi</merge>
           <append key="portable_audio_player.output_formats" type="strlist">audio/mpeg</append>
           <append key="portable_audio_player.output_formats" type="strlist">audio/x-ms-wma</append>
           <append key="portable_audio_player.input_formats" type="strlist">audio/mpeg</append>
           <append key="portable_audio_player.input_formats" type="strlist">audio/x-ms-wma</append>
         </match>
      </match>
    </match>
If not, then add it. Hope it works !!

Old 12-26-2006, 03:33 AM
Banned

hi linux users

i have a problem. One morning the screen of my sansa didn't start and the recovery mod was also broken. My last hope ist to put the firmware on my sansa but Windwos is not able to recognize my player. But i saw that Knoppix recognize it. But i have no idea how to mount the player. I read some howto's but they were to complicat for a linux noob like me. can someone of you pleas help me?

sorry for my bad english

Old 12-26-2006, 11:52 AM

that didnt work either, mabye i have a borked installation of banshee, i dont see what couldb e wrong with it sense its the one that came with suse 10.2.

Old 12-27-2006, 09:56 PM

Default Firmware update...

Greetings,

I have an E250R and I only use Linux. I don't have Windows partition... So I saw that a new firmware was available, and read the windows install instructions for those not using Rhapsody.

It's easy. Simply download the firmware update from the Sandisk site. Unzip it. and copy the mi4 file onto the root directory of your Sansa. Sync, unmount, eject and unplug. It will refresh the database, install the firmware and restart.

No problems.

I hope that this helps,

Z.

Old 12-28-2006, 04:36 AM

Hello everyone!

I would like to share with you my Beginners Guide for the Sansa Player. Now, let me state this clearly - this is all the information I have gathered through testing and through you guys. I pretty much just made a guide for people completely lost and happen to be new.

I have given credit where it's due, but if I've missed anything from you guys, please let me know. I would like to make this a somewhat project - these forums and the official Ubuntu forums could somewhat merge with information and we could make more guides for Intermediate and Advanced users, stuff like moding and the like.

Once again, let me state - I am not trying to take credit and say I found all the information, if there is any credit I have missed where it is due, please tell me. And it would be nice if we could all work together and make more guides. Hope I have been of help!

Old 12-28-2006, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SZF View Post
Hope I have been of help!
You have... I've added a bit more information about connecting/disconnecting and firmware updates mostly e2X0R based as that's what I have.

Z.

Old 12-28-2006, 09:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SZF View Post
I would like to share with you my Beginners Guide for the Sansa Player.
Your stated resolution is wrong. Full res on this player is:
220x176 ... rotated 90 degrees clockwise, thus ending with a final resolution of 176x220

Old 12-28-2006, 12:08 PM

^Fixed. I think. Hope I got it right.

Old 12-29-2006, 01:14 PM

Hi there! Thanks for sharing your findings! I want to add some of mine..

ID3 Tags

Here's how I clean up the ID3 tags of files loaded to the Sansa.
I didn't have any command line tool with support of v2.4 Tags (which Amarok produces) installed, so I found eyeD3 and made an RPM of it.

First convert tags to v2:
Code:
find -print0 -type f -name "*.mp3" -or -name "*.MP3" | xargs -0 eyeD3 --to-v2.3
Then remove v1 tags:
Code:
find -print0 -type f -name "*.mp3" -or -name "*.MP3" | xargs -0 eyeD3 --remove-v1
Must be in that order, or v1 is deleted before conversion.. :7

Album Art

Options:
- embed in id3tags (size must be less 32kB)
- or place jpg image named "Album Art.jpg" or "folder.jpg" into the respective album directory.

Below is my procedure of resizing the Album Art files on the Sansa. I assume max. one .jpg will be present in a directory. The resizing is done with ImageMagick to max. 200 x 200 pixels keeping the aspect ratio. This strange IFS (internal field seperator) variable is used, because I didn't use xargs to pass the file names.

Show all jpegs:
Code:
find -type f -name "*.jpg" -or -name "*.JPG"
Now manually delete all unneeded files.

Rename cover jpegs to folder.jpg:
Code:
OLDIFS=$IFS ; \
IFS=$'\n' ; \
for fn in `find -type f -name "*.jpg" -or -name "*.JPG"` ; \
  do mv -v "$fn" "${fn/`basename "$fn"`/folder.jpg}" ; \
done ; \
IFS=$OLDIFS
Resize cover arts:
Code:
OLDIFS=$IFS ; \
IFS=$'\n' ; \
for fn in `find -type f -name folder.jpg` ; \
  do mogrify -verbose -resize '200x200>' "$fn" ; \
done ; \
IFS=$OLDIFS
Video

I've spent countless hours on converting videos for the Sansa and finally gave up. Either the tools didn't support the required MOV container, the MJPEG codec or audio codec. Even transcoding the streams seperately and then muxing with other tools didn't work. I've lost track of what I exactly did as I don't find the notes I made right now, but among the programms/packages I tried were mplayer/mencoder, ffmpeg, transcode, mjpegtools, libquicktime.

Last edited by FrankZabbath; 12-29-2006 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Downgrading v2.4 tags to v2.3 do work with latest eyeD3 version (0.6.11)!

Old 12-30-2006, 10:40 AM

Ok, here is an odd one. I attach my e260 up to my Kubuntu box (6.06-1) and it connects just fine. I can move music and video back and forth. The only Issue I have is that if I try to use the "safely remove" it dosent. It will stay at "writing" forever. I have to actually "sudo umount" it in order to safely remove. Anyone else run into this? I have everything on it too when its done, so its not being stopped in the middle of a write.