android
Old 01-17-2007, 02:25 PM

Default More volume from headphones on plane ...

I upgraded to a good set of Philips headphones that sound great from bass to hi's under normal use. However, when travelling on plane I have to run the Sansa at almost highest volume setting and if I use them on my laptop PC I cannot hear hardly any audio when playing a DVD etc. I think this is is kinda an IBM laptop thing (I am sure all settings are turned all the way up) as it is certainly much worse on my laptop than Sansa, but how do I get more volume ??? Does anyone make a inline amp or do the noise cancelling (also battery powered) also amplify the sound ??? Any input on headphone make/model to get me significantly more volume would be appreciated.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-17-2007, 03:26 PM

Yep the noise cancelling phones do have a volume boost as a kind of added extra.

You could look at

Sennheiser PXC 150, 250 , 300.

My money is on the PXC 250 for sound, value and comfort.

Like all noise cancelling phones they are great at blocking constant rumble and whine but not so good at blocking sporadic noise and speech.

You could add an amp to existing cans. My concern is that if they go loud enough to be fine in a quiet environment, you may damage your hearing by racking up the volume with an amp.

People rave about the PA2V2 battery amp

Avoid the Bose Quitecomfort 2 and 3. They are for people with more money than sense. Very well promoted but only average performance and they cost an arm and a leg.

Last thought, have you tried Inner Ear Monitors or canal phones. These depending on make can block out noise even better than the active noise cancelling models and because they are very efficient, they go real loud.

Look at dfkt's thread on IEMs in the headphone section.

Also see my review on the Sennheiser CX300 in the same section

Old 01-17-2007, 03:29 PM

I wouldn't recommend noise canceling phones at all. They sound much worse than regular phones, due to the artificial component introduced into the sound. And they isolate less than regular IEM phones, like Etymotic or Ultimate Ears. Normal isolating IEMs don't need batteries, either.

On a plane, better use Ety ER-6, UE Super.Fi 5 Pro or some Shure IEM.

Old 01-17-2007, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
I wouldn't recommend noise canceling phones at all. They sound much worse than regular phones, due to the artificial component introduced into the sound. And they isolate less than regular IEM phones, like Etymotic or Ultimate Ears. Normal isolating IEMs don't need batteries, either.
Good point.

I used my CX300 on the train to London last week and I couldnt even hear the station anouncements on the train PA system.

I meant to take along my lads PXC150's to compare, but when you get up at 5.00am you tend to forget some things

Old 01-17-2007, 03:39 PM

Heh, don't stay up so long...

If you compare the active noise canceling phone to the CX300, I'd be very interested in you posting the results...

Old 01-17-2007, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Heh, don't stay up so long...

If you compare the active noise canceling phone to the CX300, I'd be very interested in you posting the results...
No problems

Sounds like a good project