android
Old 07-21-2006, 12:17 PM

Just mailed a support request to iRiver and got this. (I live in the UK, and don't actully own a clix yet, importing one soon . )

"The clix requires a specific voltage to charge correctly, which may be the reason why the AC to USB charger is not working for the player. iRiver may make an AC adapter for the clix, but I honestly do not know if or when they will release it. I will let the development team know about the AC adapter request."

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-27-2006, 10:28 AM

This chargin debate intrigues me as I am a UK resident who is considering importing a Clix as it transpires that we yet AGAIN are being screwed over with obsolete products (namely the U10). My main concern was getting a charger that adhered to our different mains supply.

A question directed primarily to hxc tho; I wondered whether you had found a good import site or like me had seen a deal on eBay? Ideally I would like to purchase an American 2GB Clix for less than the 120 it costs for a 4GB nano (excl. P&P) here in Blighty?!

Cheers Guys,

Slacky

P.S. Also wondered how much of a price impact the imminent release of the 4GB Clix would have on the 2GB model (if any)??

Old 07-27-2006, 03:06 PM

One of my Mum's friends is coming over from America and says she will bring it over for me

Where is there mention of a 4gb clix btw?

EDIT: Seen the frontpage...if there is a 4gb clix..I'll be having that instead!

Old 07-27-2006, 05:38 PM

Dood -any chance of yer Mam bringing back one for me??

I'LL PAY!

Fed up of being screwed over in this technoloical backwater! Grrrr

Anyways just out of interest, wondered whether you knew how much she was gonna pick one up for? Seen one for $212.45 INCL. P&P to UK on't internet (2GB)!

Thought that'd do me -but why don't you yanks like Maestro debit cards?!?!?!

~discuss

Slacky

Old 07-27-2006, 05:48 PM

She will just buy it at retail, 199$, which is about 110, unless a 4GB mysteriously appears by then

Old 07-27-2006, 06:09 PM

I wouldn't go all crazy that the 4GB is coming out sinse it came from one employe, he could be wrong or mistaken with another one
just wait a week like the guy said. Hope it does come out Cuz I'll save 20 $$ the 2GB came with a gift card for 20 $ at best buy

also look http://shop.vendio.com/yatchai/item/...635/index.html

Old 07-28-2006, 01:49 AM
Buddy

Default 4GB iriver Clix - no "imminent release"

Hi Chumpmonkeyz:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chumpmonkeyz
P.S. Also wondered how much of a price impact the imminent release of the 4GB Clix would have on the 2GB model (if any)??
The report from the Best Buy employee is inaccurate - I have no evidence of an imminent release of a 4GB Clix. Don't hang off picking up a 2GB Clix hoping that a larger capacity will release next week. Sorry...

Cheers, Dave.

Old 07-28-2006, 02:33 AM

you know... i got a samsung E-310 and the charger kind of got smashed when i dropped my weights onto it (yeh i'm so smart =D). but i went to teh mobile store and asked for a generic samsung charger paid them $15AUD (when other proper chargers for the clix are going for around $50+ AUD) and went home.. got my clix and it charges with the samsung charger.. quite interesting,.. i stopped it and checked the ratings and the ouput was 5V 500mA.. and as DLF said the clix requires 5v 500mA.. wow i just scored myself a cool charger for a dirt cheap price!!! amazing.

i suggest getting a generic samsung charger for a d500 or something.. they all use the same connection and are 5v 500mA

Old 07-30-2006, 05:20 PM

So it charges without the battery being like, fully empty?

Old 07-30-2006, 09:20 PM

lol the battery has to be empty like no juice....er no power left

Old 08-16-2006, 06:35 PM

Default wall charging, definetly a firmware issue

I went to the best buy to return my clix (static vertical line on display) and noticed the clix on display was charging through a wall charger via a USB converter (looked like the apple ipod one) w/ the "USB connected" on screen. It had the little lightning bolt, just as if you plugged it into your computer and changed to full bars yellow when done. I tried plugging mine into the same cable but no dice, same problem of no lightning bolt etc. Turns out the display clix had the old firmware version 1.10USA not the 1.11 updated version. Otherwise it was exactly the same, as far as I could tell.
Does anyone know how to get the old firmware?
We should also be writing to iriver an tell them to fix the damn thing in a firmware update since it obviously worked in previous versions. With enough consumer pressure, it will hopefully work.

Old 08-17-2006, 12:30 AM

Default Reasonable wall charger solution...

I have been following this thread about wall chargers and agree with everything said. I now believe I have found a pretty acceptable way to charge the Clix from the wall. First, you have to buy the Iriver AFT-200 FM transmitter for your car. (Note: this is not to be confused with the AFT-100! They are not the same animal). This device works great. It will charge and let you listen AT THE SAME TIME! Well, your next purchase is a Portable AC to 12VDC 1000mA Power Supply from a store like Radio Shack. This is nothing more than a "Cigarette Lighter" with a wall plug. Plug into the wall, then plug the AFT-200 into the Power Supply and , Voila, Clix is charging AND playing if you want. Yes, while it is playing, you see the lightening bolt and all. Now, the cost: I found the AFT-200 for 50 bucks(online) and the Power Supply for $27(Radio Shack). Too much you say...well, at least not a cent was spent on IPOD stuff.

Old 08-22-2006, 02:39 PM

Thumbs up it's coming

Good news. I wrote iRiver customer support asking about an AC adapter, and they wrote that it is coming. I think I'm ready to buy one now, but I might wait to see the pricing on it.

iriver America Response:
The AC adapter for the clix has not yet been released in the US, however it is coming. We do not have a date yet for its release.

Old 08-28-2006, 06:43 PM

Default Sima Model SUP-USB Works Great

After owning the Clix for 5 days the battery finally needed to be recharged. I ordered the Sima SUP-USB wall and car charger set and they work great. (Buy.com - $22 with shipping.) It took the same amount of time to charge (2.5 hrs.) that it took using the USB port on my computer. The wall charger is very small with a swivel AC plug to keep it from scratching something else if packed away in a bag. It runs very cool so there's no fire danger. It does however require that you use the USB-Clix cable.

Thanks to EnzoTen for your mini review and recommendation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clix-Sima Charger.jpg (31.6 KB, 11 views)

Old 08-30-2006, 03:50 PM

Default Update to charging question

1. The player will charge if it is completely empty using an external USB charger. (I am using the Sima SUP-USB.) The charging animation starts and after 2.5 hours the screen will go blank. If I connect the player to the external charger when there is power remaining it doesn't charge.
2. The player will charge at any time using my computer's USB connection and it will read 'USB Connected.' The battery animation in the upper right hand corner will show a flashing bar-bolt-bar to indicate that it's charging.

It must be possible to simply allow the charging system to start when a USB connection is made, any USB connection. It shouldn't be necessary to be tethered to a computer to add more juice to the battery.

Old 08-31-2006, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfmeister
If I connect the player to the external charger when there is power remaining it doesn't charge.
It must be possible to simply allow the charging system to start when a USB connection is made, any USB connection. It shouldn't be necessary to be tethered to a computer to add more juice to the battery.
Yeah - there is the rub. If the Battery is dead, it will charge off any USB adaptor. Why? Basically, what this say to me is that when there is enough power to start up the CLIX, the firmware starts to run and the FIRMWARE is what is stopping the unit from being charged when it cannot find WMP.

Yes, I said when it cannot find WMP. I had my clix hooked up to a PC that did not have WMP and IT WOULD NOT CHARGE until the battery was dead.

While I like my CLIX alot, I must say I miss my iFP-899. The mini-joystick+3 buttons was much easier to use than the CLIX interface and it was nearly impossible to hit the buttons by accident (unlike the CLIX which must be placed on HOLD to avoid mis-clicks). The battery thing is also a HUGE disappointment - not the fact that I cannot charge it without the PC (though that stinks too) - but with my iFP, if the battery died, I popped open the battery compartment and put in a freshly charged NiMH and threw the drained battery in the charger. It was soooo easy and you never were left with a player that could not be used cause the battery was dead (as long as you always had another battery handy - which I did).

Also, the firmware on the iFP was much more flexible and had more features and tweaks than the Clix Firmware.

Think iRiver will learn from their mistakes? I doubt it. If the iFP was not prone to having the display go bad (and if it wasn't so bulky) I would consider picking up a used one on ebay and sell my clix to some poor soul in Europe who still cannot get this player.

Oh well....

Old 09-17-2006, 08:30 PM

hey guys, firstly i'd just like to say how much of a help you guys were (and the site in general was) when i was contemplating getting some form of MP3 player... so thanks, you made it easy for my to justify the clix choice to myself

i bought a random wall USB charger to try out on my clix and bizzare things happened. if i plugged my clix into it when it was on (and still had battery life) the charging icon (lightening blot and bars) would move superfast so i got scared and unplugged it. then when i plugged it back into my computer it was would not recognise the clix and say that device had malfunctioned. i got around this by resetting the clix and then everything was normal. when i got back the courage to try the wall charger again (when the clix was completely (battery) dead), it appeared to charge propperly (as shown in EnzoTen's pic). but once again when i plugged it into my computer, it would not recognise the device and said it had malfunctioned.

do anyone else have this problem when they recharge using their wall chagers? if i keep using the wall charger and resetting the device, will it screw up the clix in the long run?

Old 09-18-2006, 02:55 AM

You'll have to install either WMP11 on your wall charger, or you'll have to buy a Microsoft DRM certified electron supply in order to charge your clix

Old 09-18-2006, 11:01 PM

how do you install WMP11 on a wall charger?!?

does anyone with the SIMA wall charger have the same problem - or it is just me and my charger?

also before i purchased the clix, i spoke with the aussie iRiver suppliers and they said a iRiver approved/manufactored/branded wall charger would be available in Aug/Sept this year (2006), in Australia, at least. i havent followed it up yet however.

Old 09-19-2006, 05:53 AM

how do you install WMP11 on a wall charger?!?
Rushie baby, he's just joking. I wouldn't be surprised though if M$ applied for a patented electron.

does anyone with the SIMA wall charger have the same problem - or it is just me and my charger?
I have the SIMA charger and it has the same problem.

also before i purchased the clix, i spoke with the aussie iRiver suppliers and they said a iRiver approved/manufactored/branded wall charger would be available in Aug/Sept this year (2006), in Australia, at least. i havent followed it up yet however.
I saw someones post about this and the official iriver charger didn't work either.

This is totally unacceptable. iriver just has to make new firmware. One upon a time iriver fixed bugs right away; now they are following the Apple model of releasing new products before fixing the existing products. If this continues iriver will lose all of their customers.