android
Go Back   abi>>forums > Off Topic > Random Chat

Old 03-17-2014, 03:54 PM

Default When was the first time you heard digitized music or sound?

When was the first time you heard digitized music or sound? I'm talking in person, not in the media (TV, radio, movies). The first two I can remember were in the early 1980s.

The TI-99/4A had a speech synthesis device that could be used to "speak" words through the built in Basic programming language, though it was very robotic. Commercial cartridge games had much better speech because they were written in machine language, especially "Parsec" which is well remembed by users.

On the Apple II, I remember hearing digitized music coming through a Mockingboard sound card. I forget the software, but I remember hearing a tinny 10-20 second snippet of "Every Breath You Take" coming out of the Apple, stored on a 5.25" disk (130KB). For those who forget or don't know, cassette tapes were the means of storage on early home computers, so getting the music into the computer wouldn't be a problem. Digitizing and playing it was the hard part.

I did a few searches to check if anybody else started this topic before. If it exists and I didn't find it, it wasn't for a lack of trying.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]