android
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-28-2016, 02:17 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Default Installing different firmware on a Sony DAP

Hello friends!

I fear I have made a bummer purchase, I have yet to recieve my Sony NWZ-M504 DAP in the mail, but already I have realised I might have a personal hurdle in relation to it's performance... EU Volume cap :S

I wasn't thinking straight when I bought it from Advancedmp3players.co.uk, it was just on a good deal so I snapped at the chance, but now I realised from a bit of preliminary reading that it may differ significantly in the volume department compared to the Japanese released version (no English menu) or perhaps rest of the world.

I'm actually not too sure how well released this special DAP was, Japan got the 16gb version and various colours, the rest of the world got the 8gb.

Anyway, I'm concerned that I won't be able to lift the volume cap on the one coming my way, it is reportedly lower in volume than some other Sony DAPs.

Preliminary google searches haven't brought up much success in (even if I dared to) install Japanese firmware (and therefore perhaps lift the volume cap but be stuck without English). I am that much of a freak that I would;

a) Use English for awhile, take very descriptive notes of where I am after what presses of buttons etc

b) Risk bricking the device by trying to install a diff firmware (be it USA or Japanese

c) Compare the a) with what I now have in Japanese and learn where I am in each menu etc.

But so far b) has got me stumped, can't find a way to upgrade or change firmware...

Anyhow, thought I might throw this out there in case any other Sony users have had success in locating diff firmware etc.

Cheers,

Bruce

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]