android
Old 01-10-2007, 11:29 AM

Talking Frozen Zen

My 20gb Zen sleek photo has worked great for 6 months. Then, suddenly, it stopped working. The buttons light up, and the scroll bar clicks, but the screen never gets past the creative logo. The computer (XP) recognizes my little Zen, but can't open the file. Attempts to reload firmware have failed. I have tried reseting while pushing play - the menu pops up for just a couple of seconds then the screen goes blank (but the keyboard lights stay on.)

In other news, does anybody else think $600 is too much to pay for a cell phone?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-11-2007, 09:17 PM
Ultra Senior Member

If you're talking about the iPhone... Gah!!!!

As for your Sleek - can you boot into its Recovery Mode? If so, let me know what Recovery Mode menu options it has, and we can go from there.

Old 01-12-2007, 02:07 PM

Default Frozen Zen, no Recovery Mode

When I reset and hold the play button, the Recovery Mode pops up for just a fraction of a second before shutting down.

This is perhaps all mute now. I tried a fix that I saw several people recommend - I banged it around a bit to try to "unstick" the drive. Now it won't respond at all. The power light comes on but now the buttons won't and it resetting has no effect. It has been plugged in for days, so the battery should be good.

(in a meek voice) Help!

Old 01-15-2007, 04:35 PM

Mine has 'crashed' too over the last 3 months of the 6 I've had it, before I've fixed it by leaving it in a dark draw for a week, then reset/reboot. A great peice of kit is no flaming good if it won't work! Also, is it me or do Creative never reply to support emails?!? Never buy a Creative product again! :-(

Old 01-15-2007, 04:45 PM
Ultra Senior Member

slartibartfast: Try updating your player's firmware. Updating from the original firmware fixes freeze-up problems for most Zens.

puravidachicago: I think it's time to RMA the poor thing. Unless it's out of warranty, you can get the thing open, and can locate and obtain another hard drive for it...

Old 01-16-2007, 03:41 PM

Default Fixed!

Thanks Zen Chick! Actually just did this on advice of Creative support (they replied this time!!), and it works fine!!! Also while I'm here can I recommend the Audiax2 ITrip - got it today and quality is fantastic (now my Zen works!!)- it has 200 channels!

Slarty

Old 01-16-2007, 03:43 PM
Ultra Senior Member

W00t!!! \o/

Old 07-09-2009, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenChick View Post
slartibartfast: Try updating your player's firmware. .
Hi ZenChick,
I know this is an old thread but! I'm having a Zen freezing problem too (see other thread I posted). I've had the Zen for about 4 years but never updated its firmware. Can you tell me exactly how I do it? Also, is there any danger of my losing my music files if I update the firmware? Your help would be much, much much appreciated