android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players > General MP3 Player / PMP Discussion

Old 06-02-2014, 03:57 PM

Default So my Sony Walkman died on me... (advice on what to do/buy next)

So it seems my Sony Walkman NWZ-S765 has gone and died on me after barely two years of use. A week or so ago the screen started to flicker and die, I reseted it a couple of times, but then it got worse and now it seems it won't respond at all :-/

This puts me in kind of a weird position. At first I thought about buying a new one, but when I started to look around I noticed the selection of MP3-players has shrunk to an even smaller size than it was two years ago. It seems unless I want to go for an iPod (and I'd rather not) my two options for replacements are either Cowon i9/i10 or a Walkman NWZ-E585.

I'm not much of an audiophile and I'm looking primarily for storage and battery life. 16Gb is a little on the short side, but aside from that my old NWZ-S765 was about perfect, so based on that I'd go buy an E585 without blinking. But I after having my old one die after only two years I'm a little more reluctant. Can I get some perspective on this? Do I have unreasonably high standards for when it comes to how long I want my MP3-players to last? Is it normal for Sony players to die that soon or was I just unlucky?

There's also the issue of me being one of those old fashioned people who has yet to buy a smartphone. There's a variety of reasons for that (most of which aren't very good) but I won't go into them. the point is, I had plans to finally buy one sometime this summer, which kind of has me wondering, is there a point to buying an MP3-player at all?

The only thing that really bothers me with the idea of listening to music on my phone is the battery life. I listen to my portable music quite frequently and for long periods of time, and I wouldn't want to go around worrying about the battery life on my phone running out because of it. Can anyone convince me I'm worrying in vain over smartphone battery life when listening to music or is it as bad as I'm imagining it?

So to summarize, loads of silly questions. Should I buy a NWZ-E585, move away from Sony in favor of a different brand or ignore replacing my old player altogether since it will be obsolete once I join the current decade and buy a smartphone? Any and all input is appreciated ^^

Sincerely
/Guuy

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-03-2014, 02:39 AM

If you're looking storage life and battery life, what are the bare minimums you're looking for?

Storage: 16GB +?
Battery life: ?? (Probably combines with usage of a phone)
Any other deal breakers or requirements like tactile buttons?

Also, where are you purchasing from, because that is another factor to consider too.

2 years isn't bad for an mp3 player and hoping for more isn't too unreasonable. Mine last generally around 3 years. I get frustrated if it lasts for less, but I just assume I got the unlucky lemon in the batch. I wonder if your mp3 player issues were due to loose cabling inside from a jolt or two? It might still have life if you try and find someone to repair it (might not be worth the cost), but I hope I'm not sowing any false hope to you. If you like the Sony, feel free to stay with it, but now is also an opportunity to try something new. (or, if the sony is repairable for a small price, the opportunity to use have multiple players at the same time)

I haven't heart too many bad things about the Cowon i9/i10; but its usability may take a little getting used to. I've owned the Cowon S9 and J3 and enjoyed them immensely and currently using a clip zip and Fiio X3 combo. I'm sure many others will also chime in regarding the Sansa Clip series as well if you're interested in knowing more about them. Expandable memory takes away a huge limitation of mp3 players. You can benefit with the falling prices of memory years after your purchase.

Personally, I hate using the built in mp3 player in my phone. I personally don't like combining and putting everything I have into a single piece of technology. Certainly I do put on a few songs on my phone in case for whatever reason, I forget my mp3 player and need a song or two, but it's not my main player by a long shot. There's nothing wrong with using your phone as an mp3 player, but the combination of shortened battery life and my desire to focus on one thing at a time rather than multitasking (I don't use my phone when listening to music etc, but if using my phone as a mp3, I end up surfing the net) keeps me from doing so personally.

Old 06-04-2014, 07:47 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Dare I suggest it, but you might like to check out the SanDisk Sansa Clip Zip and Clip+. Good sound and small, with expandable memory. And typically can be found at good prices, at Amazon.com and otherwise, including in refurb'ed form.

Old 06-04-2014, 03:56 PM
Ultra Senior Member

There is no easy answer to your question.

I have a smartphone and I still use a dedicated DAP, not because of battery life but because I still find sound quality and volume on a smartphone too restrictive. For this reason I use my Cowon i9+ (32gb) as my main go to player (by sound quality I really mean fiddling around with DSPs/EQs to which Cowon is renowned for doing very well in) . It weighs only 40g so isn't too much of an extra inconvenience. On the other hand I couldn't in all good faith recommend a player such as Cowon's X9 that comes in at 159g, arguably heavier and bulkier than alot of current smartphones, then you really will feel as tho yer carrying two devices around.
The sansaclip+/zip is only 20g, truly light and even less of an inconvenience, sound quality wise I would say it is pretty similar to all the android smartphones I have tried but can attain higher volume levels.

Those that complain about playing music on their phone draining battery life, perhaps considering getting a spare battery? Many android players have removable batteries, the battery will weigh the same as a sansaclip or light Cowon player yet cost less and you can concentrate all yer efforts on one device. You might be surprised, for your requirments listening to music on yer smartphone will have no real impact on phones battery life...
For sure some very decent handsets are available at prices lower than a brand new Cowon player, it's definitely a consideration worth pondering over.

You have to take a step back and think about how you use your music. Is it activity based (gym etc), if so a DAP might still be a wise idea. Is it for 8hrs a day or just 1-2?

Old 06-06-2014, 04:19 AM

Great feed back, thanks a lot It's interesting when I think about it, I might make it with substantially less battery life than I've so far been used to (my previous MP3-Player was a Creative Zen X-fi which I remember as also having pretty decent battery life), and still I feel uncomfortable with going down to something like 8 hours. Even if I in 90% of the cases I use it for maybe 4-5 hours before I get a chance to charge it again. With that in mind maybe the SanDisk Sansa Clip isn't such a bad option after all, it's definitely cheap, even if I have to buy a micro SD to bring the storage up to a reasonable level (at the very least 16 Gb)... I'm still not too comfortable with the idea of using a smartphone as an MP3-player though. I'm gonna have to thing think this through a little bit, but thanks for the input guys, it's helped a lot

Old 06-06-2014, 10:28 AM
Ultra Senior Member

And microSD cards of 64GB memory and less are very approachable and even relatively inexpensive, with 64GB cards being available for $40-50 (and around $30 on special sales) and 32GB cards at around $20 (check out Frys.com weekly ads for some nice deals)-- and 16GB microSD cards at around $9 at Amazon.com.

Last edited by Mikerman; 06-06-2014 at 11:55 AM.