android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Cowon iAudio > Cowon iAudio 9/9+

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-14-2014, 04:12 PM

Default How to Create Playlists in MSC and MTP Modes on an iAudio 9

Hello:
I have found ways to get playlists to work on an iAudio 9, in both MSC and MTP modes.

First, for both, I use MusicBee for music management and playlist creation. Please note that in MSC mode, Oddgravity's Playlist Creator also worked.

MSC
MusicBee
The iAudio9 is plugged in and visible as a drive on MusicBee.

Settings
Make sure that these are the settings for the device (accessible by Edit > Preferences > Devices > (iAudio 9 selected).

playlists path: [drive letter:]\Playlists\

save as format: M3U(#EXT)

Apply and save these settings.

Creating Playlists
Right-click on iAudio 9 and select New Playlist.

Go to the iAudio 9 Music section. (This is very important--I am only able to create a playlist from music that is already on the device, so if you want a song in a playlist, make sure that it is on the i9 first.)

Drag the songs from the iAudio 9 Music listings onto the playlist you created.

Once you're done adding songs, you're all set, with this one caveat: the playlist location on the i9 is a little bit deceiving.

Finding Playlists on the i9
To find the playlist you created, go to Library > Playlists. Basically "back out" all the way until you see Library at the top of the i9 screen. The Library Playlists folder is where the playlists reside. (Don't ask me why.)

MSC
Oddgravity's Playlist Creator

Basically the same deal as MusicBee: music for the playlist can only come from the i9. I just opened a regular Windows Explorer window showing the i9 and dragged over the music files I wanted on the playlist.

Again, the Save location [drive letter:]\Playlists\ and the playlist type needs to be M3U.

MTP
MusicBee

Settings
Make sure that these are the settings for the device (accessible by Edit > Preferences > Devices.

Check the box labeled detect MTP devices.

Select iAudio 9 as the device.

playlists path: [drive letter:]\Playlists\

save as format: M3U(#EXT)

Apply and save these settings.

Creation of playlists is basically identical to MSC (as far as MusicBee goes), with an editorial I will post at the end

Creating Playlists
Right-click on iAudio 9 and select New Playlist.

Go to the iAudio 9 Music section. (This is very important--I am only able to create a playlist from music that is already on the device, so if you want a song in a playlist, make sure that it is on the i9 first.)

Drag the songs from the iAudio 9 Music listings onto the playlist you created.

Once you're done adding songs, you're all set, with this one caveat: the playlist location on the i9 is a little bit deceiving.

Finding Playlists on the i9
To find the playlist you created, go to Library > Playlists. Basically "back out" all the way until you see Library at the top of the i9 screen. The Library Playlists folder is where the playlists reside. (Don't ask me why.)

Editorial
I am adding this because I have found other people's considered opinions useful. I often have the question, "Sure, there are X number of ways to do something, which way works best?" or at least, "Which way has scratched someone else's itch?"

So, I give you my opinion as to what I find the best way to use my iAudio 9. In short: MSC mode with MusicBee. Why? I turned away from iPods because I was locked into a particular way of using them, especially being required to use iTunes. I like MSC because it recognizes that the music file is just a file: copy, paste, delete, do as you like. I have come to like MusicBee because it works well for my purposes. I used MediaMonkey for a while, but I didn't care for its handling of podcasts and that it limited MP3 ripping after a certain time. (Editor's note to self: send MusicBee some money for not restricting its use.) MusicBee organises my music files and podcasts in a way I like, handles Ogg files, etc. I use the programmable hotkeys every time I use MB. Basically, it does all the things I want and doesn't get in my way.

Parting shot: hope this is all of use. If it's not or you don't agree with me, save your time and effort and howling. I am posting this to boards that have helped me in the past, in gratitude to other helpful posters. I don't check or frequent boards unless I need help with something specific, so I will not likely see any response, positive or negative.

Peace to you all.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Tags
iaudio9, msc, mtp, musicbee, playlist