android
Old 04-16-2014, 04:58 PM

Default Garage Sale/Thrift Shop Finds

Anyone find any great deals on speakers and stuff at thrift shops? Anything specific I should be looking for in terms of old boomboxes that have surprisingly good sound quality? Personally I've gotten both of these for a total of $15. The memorex isn't that great but for $5 you can't beat it for listening to podcasts while i play a sports videogame that i've heard everything the announcers have to say already.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-16-2014, 08:30 PM
Administrator

I'm more of a yard sale person. I've come across some great deals at those because some feature doesn't work anymore and they wants to free up space. I've come across dozens of decent sounding boom boxes that people want to dump because the CD player or tape deck doesn't work. Missing power cables or DC adapters are another reason people will get rid of them cheap.

I look for systems or boomboxes that have a AUX in jack. That way it doesn't matter if the CD drive works. I can plug in a DAP through the AUX in and play it that way.

If you're really serious about it there's a fairly standard power cable you can carry with you. The end that connects to the player looks like a slightly squashed figure 8 or a capital D. That way you can ask to plug it up to be sure the speakers aren't blown.

I've also found having a multi tip\voltage Universal AC to DC Adapter helpful in identifying which ones to stay away from. The one I have cost ~$15. I can't remember if I got it at Radioshack or Walmart. If you check the label and icon on a boom box and configure it properly you can plug it in to see if it powers up. Then you can see what it sounds like.

The weather is still too cold here for yard sales to get going but when they do...

Old 04-17-2014, 12:09 AM

yeah I'm not that serious about it. I do have a power cable from ones I had as a kid that don't have the aux port. I'm always on the lookout for bargains on tech though. Just don't want to buy a bunch of ones and clutter up the place with bad sounding ones. I'd rather just get a good sounding one in the first place

Old 04-17-2014, 04:18 AM

I used to work with a guy who bought an ipod shuffle (in very good condition) for 50 cents at a yard sale. Of course he was a crazy yard sale obsessive deal hunter, but still, that's a heck of a find.

Old 04-17-2014, 07:33 AM
Administrator

I don't buy much for myself. If I did I'd have a house full of stuff that wouldn't get used.

Yard sales, garage sales and flea markets are as much a social activity as looking to buy something. The same person that wouldn't give you the time of day on the street will be polite and conversational when they're at home trying to get rid of their junk.

It's also a great place to get leads on what you really want. I got my Beyers when I was at a sale and had a set of Senns draped around my neck as I looked around. Someone noticed I had some decent headphones and mentioned they had some Beyers that had stopped working. A couple of phone calls later we had struck a deal that let me get them for $50. After I replaced the cable using parts I had around they work great.

I also keep an eye out for CDs and books. With people dumping those for pennies on the dollar I've bought myself weeks worth of entertainment for the price of feeding the family lunch at McDonalds.

Old 04-18-2014, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
Anyone find any great deals on speakers and stuff at thrift shops? Anything specific I should be looking for in terms of old boomboxes that have surprisingly good sound quality? Personally I've gotten both of these for a total of $15. The memorex isn't that great but for $5 you can't beat it for listening to podcasts while i play a sports videogame that i've heard everything the announcers have to say already.
I definitely remember the JVC, in black and silver both if I remember correctly. Back in the day you could really leverage product knowledge, but now everyone can look stuff up on e-bay @ amazon. There's great stuff out there to be found, but you've got to kiss a lot of frogs.