android
Old 01-29-2014, 03:20 PM

Default Android DAP

I am looking for a device that I do not believe exists, but I hope I am wrong.

This little android phone below called "nanex" is pretty close to what I want. It runs android 4.0 and could wirelessly sync over wifi to google play music. I can't help thinking it could be much smaller without camera, dual sim cards and replaceable battery. It appears to use the same screen as the ipod nano and it could be closer in size to the nano if it weren't a phone.

My wishlist:
A DAP that looks like an ipod nano only running android 4.0+ and google play music app with wifi and the ability to sync with my google music library online. It should also have a micro sd card slot and a quality DAC chip. This may sound like an impossible wishlist, but this little phone sells for $80 and has all of these features (except the form factor and probably the quality DAC).

If anyone knows of a device close to this or sees a review of the nanex android phone I would appreciate a post.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-29-2014, 05:38 PM
Administrator

Welcome to ABi

I suspect the type device you want isn't generally available because it wouldn't be useful for most people. It would take a good size expected customer base to make it profitable for a manufacturer that's capable of doing it right to bring it to market.

Looking at the specs it seems this is the equivalent of a Coby DAP. It can only squeeze a max expected runtime of of 2-4 hours out of a 900 mAh battery. The 128 MB of internal storage and 256 MB RAM makes it seem it probably wouldn't be interesting even as a child's toy. At $115 plus shipping on Amazon it's not cheap either.

I might be interested in a small android device like this but it would have to have much better specs and price. The Nanex seems like it would be throwing away money just for the sake of having a smaller device.

Old 01-29-2014, 06:14 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

I don't think you could make an android device much smaller than that. Your fingers would be too big to touch the icons. You could tweak things like the launcher to work with an abnormally small screen, but google doesn't support it, so you'd be stuck with unusably small icons for 3rd party apps and Google music.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:18 PM

Default It could work

I think it has merit as a device for several reasons:
1) Avoids iTunes and any music management software on the pc - so no software to update, no massive database to backup or move around to a new pc - google takes care of those, and isn't this why we want to put things in the cloud in the first place?
2) Small simple device should be able to run for a longer time than phone - much smaller screen area, no cellular, wifi could be turned off to save power
3) I agree the specs esp RAM may not be quite right, but if the nano can get by with this size screen I think it could work just fine. It would probably need a custom app to work with the small screen and limited resources though, and it would have the micro SD for the actual music.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:23 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Well, as stated, there's nothing available that would fit the bill. The phone linked is a nice device, looks wise, to model this dream dap after. But there's nothing out, or coming out, that will be running Android & spec'd and sized the way you'd like it to be.

Old 01-29-2014, 08:14 PM
Administrator

I haven't said the idea isn't valid or that you shouldn't get one. I said that the device you posted isn't practical enough for me to consider purchasing one. If someone asked me if they should, I'd do what I did before I answered your first post. I'd research it and give my opinion of whether I thought it was a useful item for the purpose intended. In this case my opinion from the posted specs is that it it isn't so I've said that.

I didn't post what I thought the battery life might be. That came from the Amazon page where it's being sold. It's been my experience with multiple battery powered devices that manufacturers give a best case battery life. To my way of thinking that mean the 2-4 hour battery life listed will quite possibly be less in real life use.

Some people use the cloud, some don't. I use the cloud as a backup, not my primary source. I have a well organized music collection that fits on less than $100 of portable hard drive space. I back that up along with the rest of my digital data several times a year to a different location than where I live. That way if something happens to my files I'll only lose what's new.

I've carefully considered other options and decided that's best for me. That way my files aren't somewhere they can be made inaccessible by remote hardware failure or a court decision.

None of the devices I own require any more software than what Windows or a *nix OS provides. I use software to make managing my files easier but simple drag and drop also works quite well for me. I eliminated any software that needs a database to work properly quite a while back. They've failed me too often for me to be comfortable with them, YMMV.

I won't say what will or won't happen in the future. I've been wrong too many times to be confident doing that. I will say that I don't think there's enough demand at this time for any maker that's got the money and knowledge to do it right to be willing to invest the time and money to bring the device you want to market. Maybe if a few million people got interested...

Old 01-30-2014, 12:23 AM

Default Unboxing and test

I found a youtube video of the phone being put through its paces. The poster sells it for ***see the video***.

http://bit.ly/1dQnw5A

Last edited by skip252; 01-30-2014 at 05:01 AM. Reason: link shortened so it stops being a no click ad, price removed for the same reason

Old 01-30-2014, 02:37 AM

Google Play Music requires decent specs to work properly.

I'd imagine it wouldn't work on a device that had a pre Jelly Bean version of Android or less than 1gb of RAM, or it would be very laggy and pointless.

Plus, the icons would be way too small and unusable.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:52 AM
Administrator

Google Play Music on devices that aren't running Jelly Bean or better works but not very well. I lost interest in testing every feature once I determined gapless playback was broken.

I thought it might be a hardware issue so I tried a few versions of android on my rooted SGP 4.0. As soon as I hit JB everything started working smoothly. Gapless playback worked properly and the infrequent dropouts I got when streaming from google went away.

That interested me enough to try it on a few other smartphones. Those that were on ICS or lower didn't work very well with Google Play music. All of those that were on JB or better did.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:12 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Thumbs down nanex crap,...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaegelin View Post
I found a youtube video of the phone being put through its paces. The poster sells it for ***see the video***.

http://bit.ly/1dQnw5A
The friggin' box says "Land Roner"!!! It's even got a "Land-Roner" start up & a picture of a "Land Rover". This thing is a copyright/lawsuit nightmare.

Muahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!

This device is such a piece of GARBAGE!!! I'll be honest, I actually luv the way it looks. But it's a frigging toy,...

Last edited by The DarkSide; 01-30-2014 at 07:22 PM.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:58 PM

I just wish apple would release a nano with WiFi and a decent podcast app. Don't care about all the crap on the touch but I do listen to a crap ton of podcasts

Old 01-31-2014, 01:30 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Reminds me of this thread I posted, u might want to read up on it as it may raise questions u haven't thought of etc.

Old 01-31-2014, 08:04 AM
Administrator

Don't take my skepticism over this device as not liking the concept. I like the idea of a device that has the capabilities of a decent smartphone but doesn't have it's bulk. Sounds odd to describe something that's only ~4 oz. as bulky but if you come from using Clip, Cowon i9 or Sony E series DAPs it seems huge.

I'd guess that the big boys like Google, Apple and Microsoft are researching something along these lines now. They've gotten about as large as you can get and it still be practical for most people. The next step would be to find a way to miniaturize the concept without losing significant functionality.

I don't think it would be easy to convince enough people to make it profitable to go back to carrying more than one device. That would mean whatever they develop would need enough oomph to run the apps they use now and enough battery life to do it all day.

Finding enough juice to power wifi, GPS and a cell radio won't be easy. I'd think that if you tried to leave off any of those capabilities the market would shrink to the point where it wasn't practical anymore. Convincing people to give that up to have a small android music player would be beyond difficult.

They've become accustomed to the "bulk" of smartphones that are now at decently low prices. Trying to get them to pay for the R&D and manufacturing setup because it's smaller would take a significant change in what they consider acceptable.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:24 AM

I think my next investment will be a smart watch for poweramp remote then I can just keep my phone in pocket. Icy as hell lately don't want to send my phone flying while walking

Old 01-31-2014, 10:49 AM
Administrator

I hear what you're saying. It's one of the reasons why I still carry a stand alone DAP with tactile buttons. If I'm going to expose something to the elements I prefer it to be a refurb Clip instead of my phone.

Old 01-31-2014, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
I hear what you're saying. It's one of the reasons why I still carry a stand alone DAP with tactile buttons. If I'm going to expose something to the elements I prefer it to be a refurb Clip instead of my phone.
Yeah I just got super lucky. Walked home from work listening to music and got my foot stuck in foot of snow falling on my ass using my phone ad music player. Wish I didn't leave the clip at home. Phone works still though

Old 01-31-2014, 03:38 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I stopped at the whole idea of Poweramp on a smartwatch when I got a reply from the developer regarding the volume increments, which I think are increments of 10-8% (10-12 pushes or something, there is also a delay when registering the pushes). Being used to Cowons 40 levels of adjustment I know this would bug the tits off me. Its these little things I like to look into thoroughly before taking the plunge.

The Cowon Z2 Android DAP has been getting ok reviews...

Old 01-31-2014, 04:04 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBanner View Post
The Cowon Z2 Android DAP has been getting ok reviews...
Where?
I thought it was common knowledge that it was under-powered hardware (in regards to the Android OS, not the volume output) and rather buggy.

Old 01-31-2014, 04:13 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I think u maybe referring to the D3 which was all of those things. The Z2 however seems to have fixed a few of the issues the D3 had.
Here's one. I have read a couple others outside of ABI.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:08 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBanner View Post
I think u maybe referring to the D3 which was all of those things. The Z2 however seems to have fixed a few of the issues the D3 had.
Here's one. I have read a couple others outside of ABI.

I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.

Tags
android, crap phone, dream on, nanex, small, wifi