android
Old 01-29-2014, 03:38 AM

Help Looking for a replacement for Cowon i7

My dear i7, you were my best buddy for many years, you survived several hot baths and countless drops on hard surfaces, you always waited for me in university's lost and found box, and now you are finally dead. RIP old friend.

Cowon i7 isn't sold anymore and I'm looking for something similar. What was awesome about i7:

- Size! It was tiny! 2.75" x 1.25", it used to fit my tight jeans pockets perfectly.
- Battery life. 60h with no change? Yes please! This thing could live for weeks.
- Mechanical buttons on the side so you could pause and change volume without looking.
- USB charging and easy drag and drop file transfer
- Resume. Remember where in the track you stopped listening and resume on start.

It should have a screen to display track names and browse folders, but it doesn't need to be big. i7 had 1.5" and it was enough. I use for audiobooks most of the time.

Any ideas what I should get? Thanks

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-29-2014, 11:41 AM
Administrator

Welcome to ABi

The market for dedicated DAPs has shrunk considerably since the i7 was released. As part of that there hasn't been what I would consider a true successor to the i7. The closest thing I can think of is the i9+. I like my 8 GB model that came before the plus but it doesn't have everything you list.

There's a number of difference like much lower battery life that might not work for you. The tactile rocker on the side can be set to be set as a volume rocker when it's locked or to fast forward and back but not both at the same time. It bookmarks but you have to do that manually. It does have a resume feature so if all you need to do is get back to where you were when you shut down that might work for you.

The most recommended DAPs around here, the Clip+ or Clip Zip have everything else you list but battery life. It's rated at 15 hours but it's not likely you'll get that in real life. Any files placed in the Audiobooks or Podcasts folder have a single bookmark per file automatically saved whenever stop or change to another file. Files placed in the Music folder don't have a resume feature. The tactile controls make it well suited for blind, one handed operation. I can literally go all day and not look at it for more than a few seconds at a time.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:04 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Additionally, as to music files, when you shut the player down, the player will start up where you were in the song you were listening to when you shut down.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:47 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
Additionally, as to music files, when you shut the player down, the player will start up where you were in the song you were listening to when you shut down.
It mostly does but that resume point is lost if there's been a database refresh. Considering it only takes a single byte being changed on either the internal or external memory I wouldn't count on that as a audiobook user. Trying to find your place again in an hours long book can be frustrating.

Files place in the Audiobooks and Podcasts folder resume very reliably in my experience. I've placed files there, forgot they were there for a couple of years, and was surprised when it asked if I wanted to resume or start from the beginning on all the files in those folders.

Old 01-29-2014, 01:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Correct. But it--the resume/last playing feature--is a handy feature to have for day-to-day use, and the original inquiry was as to a resume feature generally (and not necessarily about bookmarking)--hence, my bringing up the feature. As to refreshes, at least when my player is functioning correctly, I'm not adding or taking off music and files frequently and so I don't have constant refreshes--it tends to be set-it-and-forget-it. And so there is no issue as to the resume feature there. Again, it's simply another benefit of the player.

Old 01-29-2014, 03:28 PM

Is there a button for play/pause on i9+? What features is i9 missing?

Old 01-29-2014, 04:12 PM
Administrator

Play\pause is done on the touchpad. It needs to be taken off Hold by using the power slide switch on the side. It took some practice but I can do it easily one handed without looking at mine. Adjusting the touch pad sensitivity helped.

No idea what features you would consider as missing. I tried to answer about the ones you asked about. The manual is here. http://www.cowonglobal.com/zeroboard...&no=64&bmenu=M You can explore what features it has there.

Old 01-29-2014, 05:12 PM

Thanks for the answer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
I like my 8 GB model that came before the plus but it doesn't have everything you list.
I was referring to this comment, I assumed that the 'plus' version has more features

Old 01-29-2014, 05:25 PM
Administrator

What I meant was that the i9+ doesn't meet your wishlist exactly. It has some tactile buttons but it's not controlled exclusively by them. The battery life is also lower than the i7.

The only difference between the original i9 and the plus version is that the plus comes in a 32 GB version and has a slightly larger speaker. Other than that everything else is the same.

Old 01-31-2014, 01:48 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marina_v View Post
My dear i7, you were my best buddy for many years, you survived several hot baths and countless drops on hard surfaces, you always waited for me in university's lost and found box, and now you are finally dead. RIP old friend.

Cowon i7 isn't sold anymore and I'm looking for something similar. What was awesome about i7:

- Size! It was tiny! 2.75" x 1.25", it used to fit my tight jeans pockets perfectly.
- Battery life. 60h with no change? Yes please! This thing could live for weeks.
- Mechanical buttons on the side so you could pause and change volume without looking.
- USB charging and easy drag and drop file transfer
- Resume. Remember where in the track you stopped listening and resume on start.

It should have a screen to display track names and browse folders, but it doesn't need to be big. i7 had 1.5" and it was enough. I use for audiobooks most of the time.

Any ideas what I should get? Thanks
Hello, huge i9+ fan right here.

- Size, it's small, it weighs 40g, prolly less than the i7
- Battery Life, 25-30hrs so not as much.
- Mechanical Buttons, yep can do all those things
- USB Charging, yep
- Resume, yep (i use this)

In addition u get a nicer screen and prolly even more pocket friendly device. i9+ goes up to 32gb, what did i7 go to?

Quote:
Play\pause is done on the touchpad. It needs to be taken off Hold by using the power slide switch on the side.
Nope.

When u place the player in hold not only do the volume buttons become next track/scan, prev track/rwd but the menu button becomes play/pause. I never use the touchpad for playpause. I use the touchpad to set myself up for tunes then rely on the physical buttons purely. I manage to adjust volume (take out of hold), reaply hold, skip songs, play/pause all without looking at the player.
I go even beyond that. There is a feature that allows u to bring up the EQ shortcut (so that u can jump to a different DSP when song is playing). DSPs such as Custom 1-4, Normal, BBE, BBE MP, BBE Viva etc. I can switch to any of these ALSO without using the touchpad! It's a neat little trick but basically if u have this DSP menu ready and loaded u too can use the mechanical buttons to navigate and select these different DSP (the volume buttons become 'up and down' buttons and the menu/play pause buttons as a 'select'. It's a super hidden geeky brucey bonus hack lol

If battery life is a concern consider the C2 with its 55hr battery life (or D20 with its 90+hr) but those are heavier players.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:37 AM
Administrator

Thanks for the info. Seems I didn't explore all the possibilities. I found a way that works for me and left it at that. I'm a set it and forget it type so all I really need is to open a playlist and get it rolling.

I use per headphone presets so I set that and don't fiddle around with per track or genre DSP settings. I use foobar2000 to apply track replaygain data to the files so I almost never need to adjust the volume. Taking care of most of it before hand means I rarely need to make adjustments when I'm using it.

Old 01-31-2014, 11:06 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I use foobar2000 to apply track replaygain data to the files so I almost never need to adjust the volume.
That's what I do when I load my D2+. Much faster than MP3Gain.
In fact, I don't know why I haven't just uninstalled MP3Gain yet....lol.

Old 01-31-2014, 03:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I use foobar also, never used this feature. Is it similar to MP3Gain in that it's not permanent adjustment but backward compatible etc?

Old 01-31-2014, 04:06 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBanner View Post
I use foobar also, never used this feature. Is it similar to MP3Gain in that it's not permanent adjustment but backward compatible etc?
It's permanent. So you make a copy of the files, apply the adjustment to them, and then load them on the player, with the originals safely intact on your PC or external drive.

Old 01-31-2014, 04:16 PM
Ultra Senior Member

k, ta.

Old 01-31-2014, 04:36 PM

Replaygain: Only writes information into tags.
MP3Gain: Makes changes to the sound stream. (Or only write information into tags, or combine both methods. Check the settings.)

Replaygain can be removed from the files by removing the tags. If MP3Gain has been used to change she sound stream, restoring the file is done with the MP3gain program (the information needed for restoring the volume level is in the tags).

Old 01-31-2014, 05:10 PM
Administrator

It find it better think of what fb2k does as "not lossless" rather than permanent. If you change the setting under Preferences=>Advanced=>Tools=>ReplainGain Scanner you can change how the audio content gets rewritten either up or down.

As the RG information is actually written to the files they're permanently changed. You can change the settings and write a different level but the file's permanently altered and doing that can't return it to it's original state.

The latest version of fb2k has been updated with settings to prevent clipping, only increase volume and works with AAC files now.
Change log:
Quote:
  • ReplayGain scanner component: support for altering loudness of MP4/AAC files.
  • ID3v2 - improved compatibility with iTunes “release date” tag.
There's also no need to create a copies and move those to your DAP. If the files can be seen as if they're on a drive fb2k will work the same as if they're on your HDD. The speed for me is less than if it's on my PC but it's still much quicker than MP3Gain.

Old 01-31-2014, 06:42 PM

Quote:
It find it better think of what fb2k does as "not lossless" rather than permanent. If you change the setting under Preferences=>Advanced=>Tools=>ReplainGain Scanner you can change how the audio content gets rewritten either up or down.

As the RG information is actually written to the files they're permanently changed. You can change the settings and write a different level but the file's permanently altered and doing that can't return it to it's original state.
I haven't used Foobar2000 in five years, but I think that Foobar2000 only saved the replaygain information in the tags. If you just delete the tags with the replaygain information, the result will be the original stream without any modifications, i.e. the file is back in its original state. I would call that lossless because no information is lost in the process. Using MP3Gain on the other hand can end in losing information about the original volume level.

Old 01-31-2014, 07:04 PM
Administrator

For the scenario you describe you're absolutely correct. When RG info is saved in tags by MP3Gain restoring the files to their original state is a lossless operation.

What's changed is that fb2k has added the option to apply RG info directly to the audio information with some files. It's been possible to do it for some time now with MP3 files. Being able to do it with AAC files has only been added recently

The changes are applied directly to the files and there's no undo values written to tags. It's possible to the change the gain settings applied and approximate the original volume. However as the files have been altered with no information for proper restoration the operation isn't lossless.

That's why I mentioned it's possible to apply the RG data to files after they're on the DAP. Doing it that way there's no chance of altering a file and not being able to get it back exactly the way it was.

Old 01-31-2014, 08:06 PM

Thank you for the info.

I downloaded the newest Foobar2000 and it indeed now has the option to apply replaygain to file content. It alerts that it will "irreversibly alter your files, as opposed to using replaygain tags".

I would always use only replaygain tags because my players supports replaygain playback. Writing directly to the content makes sense only if you are playing the files with a player that does not support replaygain. (And if you won't mix the files with files of formats that do not support writing replaygain into the file content.)

Tags
cowon, iaudio 7, mp3 player