android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > SanDisk Sansa > Sansa Clip / Clip+ / Clip Zip

Old 01-06-2014, 03:04 AM

Default Sansa Clip Zip Is Not Recognized By PC; Won't Turn On

I haven't used my Sansa Clip Zip in about 3 weeks. It was fully dead.

I tried to charge it last night, for about 20 minutes it flickered on and off to the flower screen just as it always does.

Eventually I reset it while charging, and afterwards it never turned on again. Even if I held the reset button for entire minutes.

I've been charging it in around 10PM, it is now 4AM. I have tried to reset it many times, but it fails.

Connecting it to my PC via USB does nothing, and the Clip Zip drivers fail to install/connect. I also am not able to format the device.

I know for a fact that my device isn't dead/bricked since it's still able to connect to my PC, even if it does fail to actually connect.

Should I just leave it on the charger for the rest of the day? Or is there any other solution to fix my problem? Thanks.

Edit:
This is what happens when I try to format the device.

Last edited by MUDAMUDAMUDAMUDAMUDA; 01-06-2014 at 04:20 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-06-2014, 06:32 AM
Administrator

Welcome to ABi

Sorry to hear about your problems with your Clip Zip. I haven't dealt with this on a Clip but I had something similar happen with a sansa Fuze.

I removed the external card then left it on a wall charger for a full day without trying to turn it on. I had read about a sandisk player recovering from a completely dead battery and fixing itself by doing that. After a day I tried turning it off and back on and it restarted. It was then recognized by my PC. I no longer got the message that it needed to be formatted.

The battery still showed as completely flat so I left it on the charger until it stopped charging. It started normally and all of the content was still in place.

I wouldn't format it unless trying an extended charge doesn't work in any way. The times I've tried to help someone recover a DAP that had been formatted it seems formatting made working with the player much more difficult or impossible. If it does restart from the extended charge I use Windows disk checking facility that's in the Properties menu to check it for problems with the file system. If it finds any I'd let it fix them then format it from the Zip's inbuilt formatting facility. That sets it up the right way that Windows sometimes doesn't.

Old 01-06-2014, 01:26 PM
Ultra Senior Member

This "trickle-charge" re-start procedure indeed often seems to work, slowly feeding the Clip enough power to get it "over the hump" to re-start. The trickle-charging could need more than a day.

Old 01-06-2014, 03:33 PM

Alright, I'll try plugging it into my Motorolla Wall Charger for the rest of the day. I will report back if it works or was muda.

Thanks!

Old 01-07-2014, 03:28 PM

Came to report back on the condition of my Clip Zip.

I left it on a Motorolla wall charger all day, and to no avail did it work/turn on.

However, the charger I used doesn't work (I think, I have nothing else to try it on.)

With that said, I'm gonna try and charge my clip zip using the USB cable that came with it. I will report back on this method later tonight.

Old 01-07-2014, 04:02 PM

Also, could it be that I need to let my Clip Zip's battery die out? Before it froze like this I was charging it because it was on low battery.

Edit:
Thinking about trying this too since charging it so far isn't yielding any results. How long does it usually take for a Clip Zip's battery to completely die?

Old 01-07-2014, 06:41 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

If the CPU is actually powered up, maybe 1 or 2 days.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:35 PM

My Clip Zip still won't turn on. I did find this on google though
http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Sansa-C...on/td-p/273391
>It froze while on the radio became unresponsive but now it won't turn on. I've tried resetting it, connecting it to the pc (didn't recognize it) tried connecting in MSC mode and it said i needed to format it before I can use it. tried formatting it but it just told me it couldn't.
This is the exact same problem I'm having with my Clip Zip, save for the radio part. It stopped turning on after I took the USB out while it was charging. I don't have warranty though. ;_;

Edit:
I'm just gonna try and do what a poster above said. I'll leave it idle for a few days to let the battery empty. I hope this works.

Last edited by MUDAMUDAMUDAMUDAMUDA; 01-07-2014 at 10:13 PM.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:09 AM

Leaving it unplugged yielded no results. I'm gonna try and leave it on my Nexus 7 charging USB cable for a few days now. (Should I charge via USB or wall charger)

Old 01-10-2014, 10:32 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Either source is fine, as long as the USB is "on."

Old 01-12-2014, 04:24 PM

Have left it unplugged for 3 days now. If the battery doesn't dry out/resetting doesn't work by Wednesday, then I'll just try charging it for a few days.

Old 01-13-2014, 11:55 PM

None of this stuff seems like it's working. I left it on a Asus standard wall charger for 1.5 days and it didn't turn on at all.

I even tried connecting it to my PC to recover it with the Sansa Device Recovery program

This device is really starting to irk me, I'm REALLY tempted to just bash it with a hammer on the ground man.

Old 01-14-2014, 11:33 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Patience, grasshopper--the trickle charge can take many days . . . .

Old 01-15-2014, 03:48 PM

How many would it take if I hadn't used it for about 2 weeks before it started acting like this? I've had it plugged in since Sunday, and still no response.

Old 01-16-2014, 02:15 AM

And also...

How likely is it that I've killed/blown the battery by accidentally charging it on a Nexus 7 charger?

B-Because I thought that the N7 charger was the same as the motorolla ones I saw on google... H-heh...

Old 01-16-2014, 09:13 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDAMUDAMUDAMUDAMUDA View Post
And also...

How likely is it that I've killed/blown the battery by accidentally charging it on a Nexus 7 charger?

B-Because I thought that the N7 charger was the same as the motorolla ones I saw on google... H-heh...
Not likely at all, unless the Nexus charger is defective and outputs something other than the 5 Volts it's rated for.

Old 01-16-2014, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epithetless View Post
Not likely at all, unless the Nexus charger is defective and outputs something other than the 5 Volts it's rated for.
Ah, alright. I was just confused since a /g/entleman had told me otherwise.

Also, had it charged for around 4 days now. Still no response ;_;.

And here is the error I get when I try to reinstall the clip zip http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/7225/9ijs.png

Last edited by MUDAMUDAMUDAMUDAMUDA; 01-16-2014 at 02:53 PM.

Old 01-17-2014, 02:17 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Did you uninstall the player in device manager? Until you get the player to boot up I wouldn't connect it to the computer. Have you connected it to the wall charger while you're holding the power button down?

Old 01-17-2014, 12:51 PM
Administrator

Trying to charge it so it starts again is pretty much a last ditch effort. If there's a hardware problem or the file system is badly corrupted it may never boot again.

You said you took the USB out while it was charging. If it was charging connected to a PC and there was a background data exchange in progress there's a chance that damaged the memory. It's why I always safely remove whenever I disconnect from a PC.

I had trouble once when a anti-malware program was doing a check of the disk of a DAP I hadn't excluded from automatic scanning on connection. Fortunately I was still able to get it recognized over USB even though there were file system issues. Once I got those fixed it worked again.

Old 01-17-2014, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
Trying to charge it so it starts again is pretty much a last ditch effort. If there's a hardware problem or the file system is badly corrupted it may never boot again.

You said you took the USB out while it was charging. If it was charging connected to a PC and there was a background data exchange in progress there's a chance that damaged the memory. It's why I always safely remove whenever I disconnect from a PC.

I had trouble once when a anti-malware program was doing a check of the disk of a DAP I hadn't excluded from automatic scanning on connection. Fortunately I was still able to get it recognized over USB even though there were file system issues. Once I got those fixed it worked again.
How did you fix your file system issues? I'm pretty sure this is what's stopping it from booting. It makes sense too seeing as how my PC doesn't recognize nor allow me to access the folders of my DAP in any mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachop94 View Post
Did you uninstall the player in device manager? Until you get the player to boot up I wouldn't connect it to the computer. Have you connected it to the wall charger while you're holding the power button down?
Yeah, I've tried that already. Fortunately none of it worked. ;_;7
Seems my last hope is trying to repair the firmware/data on the Clip