android
Old 12-31-2013, 06:52 PM

Default How do i create a playlist on iaudio 9+ with a mac?

I've been trying to create playlists on my Mac OS X Version 10.9 by using Clementine or VLC but nothing seems to be working. I tried switching between MSC and MTP but that didn't help either. I read previous threads that said to use the files on your device rather than laptop, so I dragged the files from the device column on Clementine onto a playlist and then saved the playlist in the Playlist and Music folder on the device but that did nothing either. I'm just getting the title of the playlist under the Playlists section with no songs there, they were in .m3u format. I have absolutely no idea what to do and everyone seems to have solutions that require the use of software that are only available on PCs. Please help!!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-01-2014, 10:23 AM

You know what? I don't have a clue.

Not many on here have that device, and probably fewer (or none) have it plus a mac.

You would stand more chance of a helpful reply if you posted on iaudiophile forums or over on headfi.

Old 01-02-2014, 04:56 AM
Administrator

Welcome to ABi

I have a i9 and use it in Windows along with .EXTM3U playlists. Unfortunately I can't help much with what software will work on a Mac. I have no experience with Macs and playlists except for using them in iTunes with apple devices. When I try to research "EXTM3U playlists on a Mac" I see several results but I can't tell which might work well for you.

As a Mac user you need to use the .m3u playlists as the drivers that make MTP based .pla playlists work are part of Windows Media Player. The files need to be loaded in MSC mode for them to work properly. I *think* that's the default mode for Macs with an i9. If it isn't be sure to switch to it before you load it.

M3u playlists are really text files that point to the file paths where the files are. They can actually be created with a text editor but for anything more than one or two files that gets old in a hurry. If you can find a software that creates them that would be the way to go. I have a half memory of some type of apple script being able to do it but don't hold me to that.

With the folder structure I use the list gets constructed as
Code:
#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:<time in seconds>,<Artist - Title>
\<Music directory>\<Artist directory>\<Album directory>\<File name>
For a typical file that looks like
Code:
#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:429,Acrilic Colors - Groove O'clock
\Music\Acrilic Colors\The Thing From Another World\02 - Groove O'clock.mp3
I use the files on the player stored
Code:
Music directory\Artist directory\Album directory\File name
I save the playlists themselves in the Playlists folder. I've found that storing them in the same Music folder or the root of the i9 also works. It's just neater to store them in the Playlist folder and let's me set that as the default save location for the software I use.

Tags
cowon, create playlist, iaudio 9+, mac os x