android
Old 12-08-2013, 08:15 PM

Default trading up from zune

My Husband's zune is finally dying. I'd like to get him something new for christmas but don't want him to lose everything he currently has on his zune. I'm hoping there is easy way to transfer your zune library to a new device. He doe NOT want an Ipod. Is there any other decent option with a large hard drive?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-08-2013, 09:11 PM
Administrator

Welcome to ABi

A fair amount of your choices depend on how large is the Zune's capacity and if his library has been backed up to a local hard drive. There's also the issue of if it's music that's fully owned by him or if it's part of a subscription that needs to be renewed. To top it off there's just not much decent available that still uses a hard drive except the iPod Classic.

Most of what's available now that might fit your needs has a relatively small internal memory and a expansion slot that holds microsd cards that officially holds up to 32 GB. I say officially because cards up to 64 GB are used work as long as they are formatted FAT32. That makes the most possible capacity available ~72 GB unless he carries more than one card.

Having thrown out all that I "think" that a Windows phone might work. Those seem to be what Microsoft has gone to that makes a good replacement for the Zune.

I have the Zune Marketplace software installed to keep my old Zune 30 updated and I've noticed there's option that are only available for Windows phones. I don't have one to connect and see what happens but it seems as they're meant to work together.

As I've been shopping for a new phone I've seen phones like the Nokia Lumia 521 that are inexpensive but have a nice feature set and good audio quality. I had the chance recently to listen to one with my files and headphones and can't find anything wrong with the audio quality. That's my subjective opinion but I had a good half day with it and was listening closely for problems and didn't find any.

You should be able to buy the Lumia 521 and just use it as media player. If you are in the US and get one from Walmart they're ~$80 and can be returned if they don't work the way he likes.

Old 12-09-2013, 03:26 PM

Default Thanks for the advice

He does own all the music (most of it comes from CDs) would I need to add a micro SD card to the Nokia Lumia to get up to the 32GB of storage? Can you use the Lumia as just a music player without activating the phone part of it? I am so not tech savvy

Old 12-09-2013, 07:09 PM

Thumbs up

skip is right with suggesting a Windows phone. The mentioned Nokia Lumia 521 is ok and is selling cheap. Nokia is trying to rid of older phones to make way for the newer ones. The Lumia 521 can take a microSD card for up to 64GB. That plus the 8GB on the phone itself gives you 72GB, which is pretty good in size.

I have always been relatively happy with my Zunes. Unfortunately we are the few Zuners. I have still have my 30gb, 120gb and 32gb HD versions, which still get regular use.

The next step after the HD was to move towards a Win Phone. I have a Samsung Focus with Win7. I would like to move up and get a Win8 phone (i.e. Lumia 521). It doesn't have a phone plan and is used as a media/game player (Think iPod Touch)

To answer you question, yes you can get a Windows phone and not have to activate it for phone service. You can just use it to play music, watch videos, play games, surf the web etc etc.

If you have any other questions, feel free to post.

Good Luck
With knowledge, comes great power.
With power, comes great responsibility.
With responsibility, comes great wisdom.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:02 AM
Administrator

Thanks, JSP62. Always better to hear details from someone that has hands on experience. I've dealt with no contract android phones that work without activation or a plan but I wasn't sure Windows phones worked the same.

Does the Zune software work the same with Windows phones as with Zunes? That should allow the person I'm helping to shop for a phone to just create a new sync relationship while keeping all their settings. They like their older Zune in large part due to the ease of use for their podcasts. Being able to do that would make a Windows phone the top candidate.

Old 12-10-2013, 12:07 PM

Yes the Zune software works with WinPhones. All M$'s updates for the Zune over the last year or two have been for the WinPhone 7/8 OS. 'Media' only devices have fallen off the map unfortunately replaced by 'all-in-one' phone devices. I still believe a phone should be a phone. I never really liked using my active phones as media players.

The only difference are the games. Games for the Zune players are dead/removed replaced by gaming apps that utilize the better equipment (phones). All other things function the same between Zune/WinPhones.
With knowledge, comes great power.
With power, comes great responsibility.
With responsibility, comes great wisdom.

Old 12-10-2013, 12:43 PM
Administrator

Thumbs up

Thanks for that info. That's going to seal the deal in this case. As long as the ZMP software syncs it they should be happy. They're tech savvy and could no doubt adapt to other software but they've used the ZMP software for years so not having to learn new software will be a huge plus.

Tags
compatibility, zune