android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Old 11-28-2013, 12:38 PM

Default Choosing IEM, I was thinking about HiFiMAN RE-400

So, I'm choosing earphones and mp3 player. I was thinking about HiFiMAN RE-400 and HiFiMAN HM-601. But I read an article that HM-601 isn't that good for that price it's same or worse than Clip +. Is my choose RE-400 and HM-601 is good ? Maybe you can suggest some other mp3's and earphones(like fischer audio)?

P.S I have very good experience with Fischer Audio FA-003. Got them and like them

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-28-2013, 12:51 PM
Ultra Senior Member

If you search for HiFiMan here at ABi you will find few (if any) positives. If you look at Head-Fi, I understand that you will find HiFiMan well beloved.

It's your choice who you believe.

IMO, get a Clip+ or Clip Zip and if the rest of your money is burning a hole in your pocket, give it to my favourite charity (I'll happily send you my the address).

Steve

Old 11-28-2013, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeZ5 View Post
If you search for HiFiMan here at ABi you will find few (if any) positives. If you look at Head-Fi, I understand that you will find HiFiMan well beloved.

It's your choice who you believe.

IMO, get a Clip+ or Clip Zip and if the rest of your money is burning a hole in your pocket, give it to my favourite charity (I'll happily send you my the address).

Steve
I didn't heard anything bad about RE 400, I only heard positive reviews and opinions, they claim it's the best earphones for under 100$. Advice what pair of earphones you recommend? what about Iriver mp3? I had one 5 years ago and it was good but don't know anything about their quality now.

Old 11-28-2013, 01:41 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Get a Sandisk Clip+ or Clip Zip mp3 player unless you need very long battery life. For very long battery life their are some Cowon models. As for an IEM, it depends what type of sound you want. Do you want neutral sound or extra bass? Which is more important to you, a great midrange, or great deep bass?

Old 11-28-2013, 03:57 PM

My question is not answered about re 400. So if you have them write your opinion because I'm thinking about them. The most important stats for me is bass and treble.

Old 11-28-2013, 04:13 PM
Administrator

====I've added the name of the IEMs you're looking to find more info about to your thread title. Please use meaningful titles in the future. "Choosing IEM" doesn't let anyone know what information you want and isn't searchable in the future.====

You need to wait until someone that has them sees your post them and answers. I don't know what everyone here has but I don't recall anyone mentioning them so that may be a while. Now that I've added the name of the IEMs you're interested in that might help.

Old 11-28-2013, 04:44 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I don't have the RE-400, however it received an excellent rating here.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/mult...11-28-13-p-813

And here.

http://www.testfreaks.com/headphones...ifiman-re-400/

Old 11-29-2013, 10:47 AM

I find that http://theheadphonelist.com/headphon...o-dba-02-mkii/ are very good too, but the price... Maybe more suggestions?

Old 11-29-2013, 03:10 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I usually spend $30 or less on each IEM. The problem with IEMs isn't just the sound quality, but also the fit and comfort. I tend to use my most comfortable IEM the most, even though it isn't my best sounding one(I guess it is the second best sounding one?)

I am hesitant to spend much more on an IEM and then not be able to use it due to comfort issues. Having said that though, if I was willing to spend between $100 and $150 on an IEM, I would probably choose a dual driver one like the JVC HAFXT90

http://www.amazon.com/JVC-Victor-Hea...eywords=JVC+HA-

Or perhaps a hybrid BA and dynamic design, or dual BA. The HA-FXT90 looks very interesting though, as you might be able to get it for under $100 with shipping.

Old 12-02-2013, 05:10 PM

pana 450s are nice sounding imo - approx 25

Old 12-04-2013, 12:11 PM

Thank you for your help. I have decided to go with RE-400 and Sansa clip +.

Old 12-04-2013, 08:13 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danx55 View Post
pana 450s are nice sounding imo - approx 25
Perhaps in red, but in white I saw them on Amazon UK for just 12 quid.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:23 AM

but then they would be ipod buds ;-)
...I always get a bit worried when things are too cheap :-\

Old 12-05-2013, 01:09 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
but then they would be ipod buds ;-)
...I always get a bit worried when things are too cheap :-\
If you pay more for the same thing, does that make it any better? It doesn't make much sense to me that the red ones are double the price of the white ones. I prefer black headphones, however if the same headphone in white is half the price, I will buy the white one.

Old 12-05-2013, 05:28 PM

hi JK.
I meant cheapness in general really... but also if things appear too cheap online, then maybe they aren't legit... that's what I always think :-)
...but your right, maybe I over paid for mine :-\ oh well...

...a bit sad that they are only 12 buds hey ho - they still fit nice tho

Last edited by danx55; 12-05-2013 at 06:21 PM.

Old 12-06-2013, 03:47 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
hi JK.
I meant cheapness in general really... but also if things appear too cheap online, then maybe they aren't legit... that's what I always think :-)
...but your right, maybe I over paid for mine :-\ oh well...

...a bit sad that they are only 12 buds hey ho - they still fit nice tho
The red one is the most expensive color for that model, even in the US. You decided to pay a premium to get it in red. Mine is black, which is midway in price between the white and the red. The white one is only a bit cheaper here than the black. If it was half the price for the white one though, I would have gotten white. Perhaps you should buy one or more of the white ones as spares. At just 12 quids that price might not last long(assuming it is still available now).

Old 12-06-2013, 04:42 PM

yes good point. thanks

Old 12-07-2013, 01:04 PM

Ugh. HIFIMAN. Terrible choice.

Old 12-07-2013, 06:16 PM

haha, To be fair I thought the 262 and 272 were brilliant but yeh the 400 from what I heard very briefly was just another good. One thing you notice when you listen to good iems in the 50-1000 range is that the differences are a lot more marginal than folks think. Best advice is to find a tuning you like appropriate to genre spend less time worry about the phones your listening on and more about the music you are listening to.

Or like Stozz-Audio on facebook for updates of when new reviews come out and ex review sample giveawayshttps://www.facebook.com/StozzAudio

Old 12-07-2013, 09:51 PM
Administrator

Like how you said that, SHY.

Diminishing returns kicks in hard with headphones once you get past a certain dollar amount and quality level. It's my experience that there's a lot less difference between a $20 set of headphones and a $300 set than between $2 and $30 set.

I found that after I took that first step up from stock earbuds and found something comfortable that cleanly reproduced the full range my ears can hear, most of what I got were refinements, not major differences. How well that works for each person depends on how that person defines major. It took me a while to stop worrying about minor differences enough to relax and enjoy the music. Once I did that things got much better.

I won't downplay the importance of getting good quality headphones. Having those are what makes the biggest difference when I listen to good quality audio sources.

Learning how to listen to the music, not the equipment, was the best thing I've learned about how to have a great time listening to music. That's why I prefer to think of myself as a music lover, not an audiophile.