android
Old 11-24-2013, 03:30 PM

Default Help finding 1st pair of headphones!

Hi all.

I hope i have put this in the right place. I am looking for a new set of headphones in the uk for 100, give or take abit. I am looking for good sound quality with some but not too much bass. If there is some noise leaked that is ok but not too much. Same for noise cancelling i would like some but it is not esstianal. I would also like to do some gaming with them. I will use them indoors and with my pc, tablet and phone. I listen to a mix of music from rap to more easier music like coldplay etc.

I was looking at a pair of skullcandy aviators but have had mixed reports

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-24-2013, 04:05 PM

hi there,

i was thinking of going that high and getting the phonak 012s but then decided against it as i think they need to be worn in the over the ear style which doesnt work for me - supposed to be v good though - lots of peeps really like the sound magic e10s and they are only about 30

ive just got some pana 450s - ive only used them a couple of times but am liking them so far - they sound really good imo - there is some bass, but rest of sound is good/clean - they fit nice and comfy in the ear - nice and light - and only 28

btw: i listen to all sorts of tunes - but not so much rap

good luck in you search

cheers
dan

Old 11-24-2013, 04:08 PM

oops sorry - you might not be after IEMs - ignore the above if you meant full cans

i hear that the akg 451 are supposed to be good - almost went for those too think they go for about 49 now down from around 100

Old 11-24-2013, 04:10 PM

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have a pair of soundmagic pl30 and i really like them.
I was hoping for a over head style upgrade to use indoor and gaming

Old 11-24-2013, 04:28 PM

Thanks the akg's look real nice, definitely look into thoose!

Old 11-24-2013, 04:48 PM

cool

Old 11-25-2013, 09:54 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Lot's of great deals on Amazon.co.uk right now, and that's not counting the black friday week sales. (If you want to follow those black friday week daily deals remember to also follow amazon.de, they'll gladly ship to the UK i'm sure)

On their "Up to 50% off on headphones" page I can see at least the AKG K550, Philips Fidelio and V-Moda Crossfade LP's. I don't know if they are good or not, but you could look into those, they are fairly discounted.

V-Moda has had some good headphones lately, the M-80's i've seen people praise, and I've heard good things about the LP's.

The AKG's have their fans as well, however I've always had a bit of a hit and miss with their sound signatures. Too bright, neutral or bassy. I never really want to use a set for too long, but I do appreciate them in the right circumstances and as an only set I'd probably be none the wiser.

Philips, has had some decent performers, their products have always been a bit too cheap (In build quality) though, so these fidelio's seem kind of interesting, being touted as a "Premium" style headphone like the Sennheiser Momentum. If I hadn't just recently bought a set of Amperiors I might have bought these for the going rate of 100. I kind of like the look on them.

Old 11-25-2013, 12:40 PM

I have looked at V-moda's and the Phillips but i am just wondering how much extra i am getting compared to the akg's as they are half the price and have great reviews!!

Old 11-25-2013, 04:44 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Instead of the Aviator get the JVC HAS400 or HAS500. I have the HAS400 and it sounds great. It is only around $25 in the US, but sounds better than some headphones that are over $100. It has great detail, and a nice amount of bass that sounds natural. Not too much. It also feels very sturdy. The HAS500 is similar but has a larger driver 40mm vs 30mm. The HAS500 probably needs to be ordered from Japan though.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:22 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alistairh656 View Post
I have looked at V-moda's and the Phillips but i am just wondering how much extra i am getting compared to the akg's as they are half the price and have great reviews!!
Well mostly build quality, again I don't know for sure in the case of the Philips but the v-modas are very well built if the styling is to your tastes. Build quality is easy to fake and sometimes quite hard to show externally, but usually you can get a sense from watching youtube video reviews and such.

Sound quality is subjective, especially if you're only going to have one set of headphones, worrying about how they sound is pretty moot. As long as it isn't offensively skewed to one style of sound or clearly overpriced you'll get used to it and then the variance in the music will be all that you'll be listening to.

Old 11-26-2013, 05:02 AM

I can really recommend the AKG 550, I've had them a month and are my favourites for listening to movies and music in bed.

They are probably too large for walking about outside, though.

Old 11-26-2013, 02:20 PM

To be honest i really like the akg k550 and k451 but i dont know if the 550s are worth the extra 70pounds :\

Old 11-27-2013, 07:15 PM

i was strongly thinking of the k451s myself, but was put off slightly as they are supposed to be a tight fit ...... pressure on ear etc .... but could be stilll tempted

....all this phones stuff is SO subjective aint it :/

Old 11-28-2013, 03:45 AM
Ultra Senior Member

A little pressure is required for a proper seal, but you can just make use of the amazon return policy and try them. Should be pretty clear after wearing them for a few minutes if they are going to be good or bad.

Old 11-28-2013, 08:39 AM

Try the brand new AIAIAI TMA-1 X. Launched today. 100 on the button. If it's anything like the others in the TMA range then it will be fabulous value.

Old 11-28-2013, 09:02 AM
Administrator

Interesting. The AIAIAI line seems to be what I see most here when it's not Beats or SkullCandy. The pricing has had it beyond what I'd want for my out and abouts that I subject to the weather. The US site has them at $129 which I'd guess I'd be able to catch on sale at some point at ~$100.

I don't see the cable listed as detachable in the specs and I'm not seeing if there's both android and apple versions of the controller\mic. Do you have any more info on that?

Old 11-28-2013, 09:42 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Get the JVC HA-S500. The sq is excellent.

Old 11-28-2013, 09:55 AM

The AKG K550 mentioned are now 100 at Richer Sounds and probably the best headphones you can get at that price point. I'm very happy with mine, they're quite analytical and I do boost the bass a little bit, but the sound is very good.

They're not very mobile, though, and have a pretty long cord.

Old 11-29-2013, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
Interesting. The AIAIAI line seems to be what I see most here when it's not Beats or SkullCandy. The pricing has had it beyond what I'd want for my out and abouts that I subject to the weather. The US site has them at $129 which I'd guess I'd be able to catch on sale at some point at ~$100.

I don't see the cable listed as detachable in the specs and I'm not seeing if there's both android and apple versions of the controller\mic. Do you have any more info on that?
The mic is Apple on AIAIAI and the more expensive models have a removable cable. Hugely more impressive than the Beats and Skullcandys of this world and why loads of pro DJs use them.

I've heard a few and never been disappointed and sound is very important to me (as in I have a very nice hifi which is my pride and joy).

Old 11-29-2013, 08:16 PM
Ultra Senior Member

SOL Republic Tracks HD also sound excellent. I have a few coworkers who own them,...I prefer them over the AIAIAI TMA-1. They sound quite clear, and the mids are there,...something the TMA-1 has recessed.