android
Old 11-06-2013, 11:16 AM

Default Sony MDR-V55er looking to upgrade

Hi guys had my V55s for about a year now but unfortunately it seems they are reaching the end of there cable life. Im looking to buy a new pair for around the 50-70 that are better than the v-55s in certain areas.

I found the v55s to be really uncomfortable for long use and im the type of person who wears my headphones all the time so i think id prefer a circumaural pair this time.
And since the cable screwed up on the v-55s i think its finally time for me to switch to a detachable cable design for the new pair.

They will need to be durable since i wear the headphones for everything (exercise) and i need ones that dont leak sound so i wont have to reduce the volume when i go to a public place (library).

I LOVED the sound quality of the V55s so anything with the same sound quality or greater would be fantastic.

Thanks a lot guys.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-06-2013, 12:37 PM
Ultra Senior Member

You might want to check out Incase's Sonic phones, originally at $149.95 and been on sale for $59.95. (Apple stores used to sell these at $200--you gotta love Apple and its concern for consumers.) Free shipping (including for returns) in the U.S. but also ships for a charge outside the U.S.--even with the shipping cost, still seemingly a good price given the sale price.

http://goincase.com/shop/incase-soni...hones#color/87

Very comfortable (uses a miracle foam-type cushioning for the earpads and headband), good sound, detachable cable (that has an Apple remote built in), and interesting and even funky color combinations. I use them for inside as I find anything but IEMs too big and a hassle for outdoors use, but you'll have to see if they're too much for outside use (they don't fold down for transport, and come with what I think is an odd carry bag with an outer metallic-like fabric and inside faux fur).

One thing about the detachable cable: the connection in the phones is reset and so a very slim cable plug end is needed for any replacement cable; some will work just fine but others will be too big. Just something that one would need to look out for.

review: http://reviews.cnet.com/headsets/inc...-35191701.html

Last edited by Mikerman; 11-06-2013 at 05:16 PM.

Old 11-06-2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seansalmon View Post
I found the v55s to be really uncomfortable for long use and im the type of person who wears my headphones all the time so i think id prefer a circumaural pair this time.
And since the cable screwed up on the v-55s i think its finally time for me to switch to a detachable cable design for the new pair.

They will need to be durable since i wear the headphones for everything (exercise) and i need ones that dont leak sound so i wont have to reduce the volume when i go to a public place (library).

I LOVED the sound quality of the V55s so anything with the same sound quality or greater would be fantastic.
You may want to consider the KRK Systems KNS 6400. I find that the 6400 has a comfortable fit for me with my average-sized-and-shaped ears and head. These circumaurals have a detachable cable, have user-replaceable head and ear cushions for durability, are closed to minimize sound leakage, and sound fairly neutral. http://www.krksys.com/krk-headphones/kns-6400.html.

Reviews:
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/k...tems/kns_6400/,
http://www.prosoundnetwork.com/artic...dphones/12224#.

Make sure you can return the headphones should you find them uncomfortable.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:37 PM

Thanks for the suggestions guys i ended up buying a pair of incase sonic's since they are the most fitting to my criteria.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Cool--I think when you have them on for 3 or 4 hours and feel as comfortable as hour 1, you'll be happy. Which color did you go for?

At least originally, the phones came with 2 cables, a color one and a black as a possible replacement. See the Cnet review linked above. (You also get a 1/4" adapter plug and a case for the phones.) If you don't receive 2 cables, you might want to email Incase and see about the second.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:53 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I own 2 sets of the incase sonics, and they sound damn fine for the price. Especially considering how comfy they are,... I use mine every day. I even got a set of the Incase Reflex on ears recently. The sq isn't as good as the Sonics, but it's fine for on the go.

Anyways, good choice. Let us know how you like them when they arrive.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
I own 2 sets of the incase sonics
I feel so inadequate, owning but a single pair . . . .

Just curious--why more than 1? Or is that just a silly question here?

Old 11-07-2013, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
Which color did you go for?
Black and green Cant wait to see how they stack up against my v55s (Really hoping the sound quality is similar/better!)

Does anyone know where i could get some headphone cables for the sonics? Seems to be the only gripe about the sonic in reviews is the cord length lol

Old 11-07-2013, 07:28 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
I feel so inadequate, owning but a single pair . . . .

Just curious--why more than 1? Or is that just a silly question here?
I keep one @work, and the other on my nightstand for before bed relaxation. These hp's sound great at low or higher volume, and I luv the comfort compared to most of my other cans. Well worth the cost of 2 sets,...

As for different cables, get the V-Moda cables. Those are the ones that fit best. I have both the plain and the single-clicker control one. I use the clicker with my Lumia 920 and Android tablets.