android
Old 11-05-2013, 11:46 AM

Question Battery life question

The battery life on my scandisk player only lasts about 4 hours. This is from playing flac files at close to maximum volume.

I'm wondering is this normal ? or do I need to get a new player ?

I've been using it for over a year so maybe the battery is dying.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-05-2013, 12:02 PM
Administrator

If you're using the sandisk firmware that's not surprising. The sandisk decoder is poorly optimized for everything but MP3 and WMA. Using FLAC and Vorbis files will cut your battery life by at least half. Raising the volume that high also takes away battery life.

The poor battery life with those files isn't a hardware limitation. FLAC files can decode quickly and the optimized Rockbox decoder takes advantage of that to deliver battery life greater than the best the sandisk delivers with any codec.

What headphones are you using that let you listen at near full volume? The sandisk players aren't the loudest but all my portable headphones are much too loud for my ears well before I get anywhere near full volume.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
If you're using the sandisk firmware that's not surprising. The sandisk decoder is poorly optimized for everything but MP3 and WMA. Using FLAC and Vorbis files will cut your battery life by at least half. Raising the volume that high also takes away battery life.

The poor battery life with those files isn't a hardware limitation. FLAC files can decode quickly and the optimized Rockbox decoder takes advantage of that to deliver battery life greater than the best the sandisk delivers with any codec.

What headphones are you using that let you listen at near full volume? The sandisk players aren't the loudest but all my portable headphones are much too loud for my ears well before I get anywhere near full volume.

I'm using sennheiser mx500 and mx 580 headphones.

Can you recommend a version of rockbox to put on my scandisk clip ? There is so many versions I'm not sure which one to get. Also will rockbox effect the sound quality ? I'm very happy with the sound quality so I would like it to stay the same.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:46 PM
Administrator

I always use the development version. If there's been any improvements since the "Stable" release they'll be included in the dev builds. If there's any problems with that I can always revert to the stable build. I haven't had a problem in quite a while so I haven't run the stable version for several months.

I'd read the manual at least through The Main menu as part of deciding to install Rockbox. That should give you a decent idea of the differences between Rockbox and the sandisk firmware. I don't consider Rockbox very difficult to use but it's different enough from the OF that it takes a bit to get to the point of being comfortable.

I'd use the automated installer. Be sure to pick the right version of Clip and make sure the mount point is the drive letter that represents the Clip and not some other drive. The installer has a link to the firmware you need to install the bootloader but you can also find more direct links here in the appropriate subforum for your player.

I don't use earbud type headphones like your Senns but when I have anywhere near top volume was still too much for me. I won't lecture you but I will say you will want to look into safeguarding your hearing. There's a lot of headphone users that have permanently damaged their hearing. No sense in enjoying your music at high volume levels now and cutting yourself off from ever being able to enjoy it in the future.

Old 11-05-2013, 02:10 PM

Thanks for the link.

As for my hearing I dont listen to loud music that often.

Old 11-05-2013, 02:28 PM

Another question I have how long does rockbox extend battery life for ?

Old 11-05-2013, 03:20 PM
Administrator

You can check the sansa runtimes here. The most recent shows ~12 hours using FLAC files. That seems a low to me as I got better than that using -V2 MP3 files on my 3 year old Clip+ earlier this year. I notice the volume level wasn't at the default so there may have been other adjustments that threw off the results.

In any case battery bench results are the best you can expect. Those are performed with all enhancements off and no interaction with the player that turns on the screen. The screen coming on is the largest drain on the battery so real life results will always be less.

I'd think that you should be able to easily at least double the 4 hours you get now using the OF. If you are like me and just start a playlist playing and don't do much else it will probably be more.