android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Old 11-01-2013, 04:51 PM

Default Inline volume adapter that doesn't degrade sound quality?

Is there some kind of adapter i can buy to add a volume control to existing headphones without degrading the sound quality?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-01-2013, 05:20 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I've read various times that the Shure in-line volume adapter (sold as part of the EAADPT-KIT "Earphone Adapter Kit") is of good quality. I think the main issues with most of these things are channel imbalances (especially at lower volume levels) and scratchy potentiometers, and the Shure adapter is said to behave well in those regards.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:31 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I've used the short cable extender with volume control from Radio Shack and found it just fine. Likewise the Koss version.

Old 11-02-2013, 09:29 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
I've used the short cable extender with volume control from Radio Shack and found it just fine. Likewise the Koss version.
I've owned several of the Radio Shack versions, and they've had a tendency not to last, even with only light and sporadic use. I just retired one this week, in fact, after the left channel became much softer and would only return to normal if I squeezed the plastic housing surrounding the volume wheel. It spent its life either in storage or plugged into the back of a stationary DVD player...not very heavy-duty stuff...so the Radio Shack ones don't get my personal recommendation.

Old 11-03-2013, 02:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I guess, YMMV--I've had a Radio Shack volume cable for 10 years plus getting considerable use without any issue. Perhaps something electronic finally likes me. ;^)

Old 11-03-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epithetless View Post
I've read various times that the Shure in-line volume adapter (sold as part of the EAADPT-KIT "Earphone Adapter Kit") is of good quality. I think the main issues with most of these things are channel imbalances (especially at lower volume levels) and scratchy potentiometers, and the Shure adapter is said to behave well in those regards.
wow $20 for something so trivial? they sell cheap headphones with the adaptor in them for not much more sometimes.

Old 11-04-2013, 12:24 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
wow $20 for something so trivial? they sell cheap headphones with the adaptor in them for not much more sometimes.
Well, $14.70 shipped from B&H, $14.90 shipped if you're an Amazon Prime member, or about $12 shipped if you're willing to buy a good-condition used one...but I see what you're saying. I'm just sharing a model that's reputed to be of good quality. The rest is up to you.

Old 11-04-2013, 11:40 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Agreed that the pricing on this cheap-o product really is a bit ridiculous, unfortunately.