android
Old 11-01-2013, 10:26 AM

Default bad microSD card possibly killed my Clip+

Hi, I have googled this some but I haven't been able to find much that's relevant to my particular situation, so here it goes:
My dad has a Clip Zip and two SanDisk brand 32GB microSD cards. He had one for a long time, and I borrowed it while making him a second card to ensure that I didn't duplicate music between the two cards. I mailed both cards back to him, and he used the newer card for about 3 months and put the older one on a shelf. The other day he switched out the cards and the older card that had worked reliably for several months before now would not scan on his Clip Zip. It got stuck on the scanning screen and he said it heated up the Clip Zip and rapidly drained the battery. He tried it a couple of time with the same results.
Last night during a visit I took the microSD card and placed it in a card reader and put it into my PC. It was unable to see the card. I took it out of the card reader and put it in my (rockboxed) Clip+, and at first it flashed an error message (though I stupidly cannot remember what it said) and then appeared to turn off. I reinserted it a couple of times, and couldn't get any results. We were busy (it was trick-or-treat), so I shoved the Clip+ (with the card in it) in my pocket absentmindedly, and about a half-hour later noticed something quite hot in my pocket. My Clip+ was very hot (almost uncomfortable to hold) and now would not turn on or anything. I held the power button down for 30 seconds, and nothing.
Today, I have tried several times to reset it (even holding the power button down a minute and more), and right now I have it plugged into my PC, though it has not been recognized by the PC and by all appearances it is not changing the situation.
So I have a couple of questions after this drawn out setup:
1) Is my Clip+ dead?
2) What could possibly have happened to the card that would cause such severe malfunctioning?
The only things I did to the card when I borrowed it were deleting a few albums that were in downloaded from Amazon and wouldn't play on his Clip Zip (I can't remember the format--AAC?) and moving 4 or 5 albums from the old card to the new card to keep the artists sorted on either one or the other microSD cards. When I mailed the cards back to my dad, I used scotch tape to fasten them to a piece of paper which I then folded and placed in an envelope. They were not in a hard case/box. The bad card looks just fine visually and is very clean, doesn't smell burnt, etc.

Any ideas/suggestions? I am more concerned for my Clip+, though obviously I'd be happy to get the microSD card working properly as well. Thanks, and I'm sorry if a similar thread exists.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-01-2013, 12:12 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Perhaps obvious, but concerned that this is a hardware malfunction with the battery/battery circuitry.

Old 11-01-2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
Perhaps obvious, but concerned that this is a hardware malfunction with the battery/battery circuitry.
Yes, given the amount of heat the thing was giving off, I can only think that a short circuit could do it.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:29 PM
Ultra Senior Member

If, by any chance, you are within 1 year of purchase (2 years in the EU), SanDisk will provide a warranty replacement (and, in the U.S., cover the postage both ways).

Old 11-02-2013, 09:43 AM

Default bad microSD card possibly killed my Clip+

Well, after having my Clip+ plugged into my PC for maybe 4 hours, it magically revived and was recognized by windows. I guess it was playing possum. I only had perform a reset and all appears normal now. Still no closer to figuring out the microSD situation though.

Old 11-02-2013, 07:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

If a card reader used on a PC can see the "bad" card I would format it & reload it. I would say file corruption is the culprit.

Old 11-03-2013, 07:22 AM
Administrator

If it acted funny on both you and your Dad I don't think I'd risk my DAP by putting it in again. Over heating is a sure fire way to kill electronics. Not only that lithium batteries give off nasty by products if they get hot enough to burn. Not something I'd risk if it got uncomfortably hot in normal use once. No telling how far it would have gone if you hadn't noticed it.

Sandisk cards have a fairly long warranty. I'd get in touch with them for a replacement. 32 GB cards haven't been out very long and I'd think it would still be covered.

Old 11-03-2013, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachop94 View Post
If a card reader used on a PC can see the "bad" card I would format it & reload it. I would say file corruption is the culprit.
I would like to know by what mechanism file corruption could cause overheating. The card seems to have a short circuit. Return to vendor, even if out of warranty this sounds like something unusual.

Old 11-03-2013, 02:24 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I have heard of more gremlins with SanDisk devices . . . .

Old 11-05-2013, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
Sandisk cards have a fairly long warranty. I'd get in touch with them for a replacement. 32 GB cards haven't been out very long and I'd think it would still be covered.
Hey, good suggestion skip252. I will check into this. I believe I've owned it for more than two years, but I'm not sure. It hadn't even occurred to me to go the warranty route, believe it or not.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:49 AM
Administrator

Considering their reputation for fairly painless replacements on DAPs I'd definitely look into placing a claim. I looked at the sandisk warranty on their 32 GB cards and the shortest warranty period I can find is 5 years. I've also found a number of posts that make it seem that they make warranty claims fairly easy if you have the receipt. I see some posts that say all they had to do was send a image of the receipt and the card snipped in half.

Even if you don't still have the receipt I'd still contact them. The worst that could happen is they say no, right?.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:41 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
Even if you don't still have the receipt I'd still contact them. The worst that could happen is they say no, right?.
Absolutely great advice, for dealing with all (or at least many) manufacturers and situations. Nothing is written in stone (except for things that are) and exceptions always/often can be made and sometimes even are . . . .

Old 11-18-2013, 09:14 AM

Update: I submitted an RMA on the SanDisk website, received a prompt reply, etc. and after a very painless procedure that included sending my faulty card back (on their dime), I received my replacement 32GB microSD card 3 days ago.
I am very pleased with SanDisk's customer service and would like to again thank Skip252 for the tip.

Old 11-18-2013, 11:06 AM
Ultra Senior Member

And it just saved you $30!