android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > SanDisk Sansa > Sansa Clip / Clip+ / Clip Zip

Old 10-25-2013, 10:30 PM

Default Cant play songs that are on another directory on playlists that are made on a PC

I used Playlist Creator to make playlists for my rockboxed sansa. the songs on a playlist are from the same directory, and sometimes songs from the micro SD. If i play the song in the micro SD, it doesnt play on the playlists. Why is that?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-26-2013, 12:08 AM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

I don't know about that tool specifically, but probably the paths don't reference the SD card but instead the internal memory. Theres two solutions here:

1) I added code a while ago that makes rockbox try to search whatever disk the playlist is stored on first. So if your playlist doesn't specify which disk to check, putting the playlist in the same physical storage device as the music will cause it to work. This works well if you have a big sd card and rarely use the internal memory or use one playlist per album.

2) Fix the playlists to reference the <microsd1> mount point for external storage.

Old 10-26-2013, 12:35 AM

I still dont get it. I dont have a big sd card so i still store some music in the internal memory. the only option i could think of is to manually add the songs through my sansa cause that works. Or maybe i should use a better playlist creator on my pc?

Old 10-26-2013, 04:47 AM
Administrator

Store the playlists on the card and they should work. I can't guarantee that as I stopped using that software several years ago. It seemed overly complicated and kept nagging for a contribution so I dropped it. However if it creates .m3u playlists and you store playlists that have files from both memories on the card, the playlists should work in Rockbox.

If you really prefer storing your playlists on the internal memory you'll need to edit them manually. If you use something simple like Notepad you can change all the references to the drive path with <microsd1> in a few seconds. Rockbox on a Clip+ looks for <microsd1> as the reference to the external card and playlist software uses the drive letter.

Old 10-26-2013, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
Store the playlists on the card and they should work. I can't guarantee that as I stopped using that software several years ago. It seemed overly complicated and kept nagging for a contribution so I dropped it. However if it creates .m3u playlists and you store playlists that have files from both memories on the card, the playlists should work in Rockbox.

If you really prefer storing your playlists on the internal memory you'll need to edit them manually. If you use something simple like Notepad you can change all the references to the drive path with <microsd1> in a few seconds. Rockbox on a Clip+ looks for <microsd1> as the reference to the external card and playlist software uses the drive letter.
Ok i'll try storing my playlists inside the sd card. i hope the problem wouldnt be the other way around where it wont play the songs that are in the internal memory.

Old 10-26-2013, 10:30 AM
Administrator

Saving my playlists to the external memory works quite well for me . It has ever since saratoga reworked the code. Before that there were sometimes very elaborate workarounds I used like this one.

I didn't mind setting it up as I'm familiar fooby2k and marc20003 made the directions easy to follow but it was a bit much for new users. The way it is now any software that creates .m3u playlists works to create playlists that use files from both memories as long as the save location is the external card.

In case you didn't know you can use the context menu to designate either the external card or a folder on it as the Playlist Catalog. You can do the same for any directory. I've found making a Playlists directory on the external card the default save location for both Rockbox and my PC software has all my playlists work. I've also found having them all in the same place makes it easy for me to find and use all my playlists.