android
Old 10-15-2013, 07:53 AM

Default Question on new Android Devices-USB mode

I've been off the board here for a while and not monitoring tech stuff very much recently. Still running my SGP5!

We are used to running our devices with an open USB mode, meaning that you hook up to a computer and get direct access to the internal and external memory as if it were a simple USB drive. Friend of mine looking at S4 said that he heard the new Samsung phones are shipping with Samsung Android which forces user into an "iTunes-like" interface for managing files. You cannot just browse on Explorer and get the F:/ drive...you have to open a Samsung interface on your PC and do everything through that. Is this true?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-15-2013, 09:00 AM
Administrator

I think from your description you're talking about MTP mode being the only transfer mode available. I can't say if all Samsungs are like that now but the last 3 newer Samsung phones I've dealt with have been. When you connect you see the card and the phone as media devices and there's no setting on the phone to change that. When I tried to get around that by connecting in Linux it saw the phone as a camera.

I've found that inconvenient as the implementations of MTP and PTP hides any files they don't see as compatible when you drag and drop. Had a heck of a time getting themes installed on Rockbox as a Android App because it kept hiding the .bmp files the themes need to work. I finally zipped them, sent them that way and used ES File Explorer to unzip them once they were on the phone.

I've read that if you root the device there's apps that can be used to connect as a drive. No idea if that's the only solution or how well it works.

Old 10-15-2013, 12:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I have an S4 and the stock ROM does only connect in MTP, but what's more frustrating is that everything I flash to it also only operates in MTP. I don't know enough about it to know if it's possible to make a ROM connect in MSC. I'll have to look into the apps to connect as a drive.

Old 10-15-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinburger1109 View Post
I have an S4 and the stock ROM does only connect in MTP, but what's more frustrating is that everything I flash to it also only operates in MTP. I don't know enough about it to know if it's possible to make a ROM connect in MSC. I'll have to look into the apps to connect as a drive.
Oh man, that totally sucks. They've taken away the simplicity of Android and added the kludgy-ness and lack of user transparency of apple. Makes me feel fine about putting off phone purchase and keeping my SGP for a while longer.

Even Cyanogen mod won't let you connect in MSC mode?
And HTC doesn't even put microSD cards in the high-end phones. Crying shame. Everyone want to control our world.

Last edited by Blackdog; 10-15-2013 at 03:32 PM.

Old 10-15-2013, 03:36 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
Oh man, that totally sucks. They've taken away the simplicity of Android and added the kludgy-ness and lack of user transparency of apple. Makes me feel fine about putting off phone purchase and keeping my SGP for a while longer.

Even Cyanogen mod won't let you connect in MSC mode?
And HTC doesn't even put microSD cards in the high-end phones. Crying shame. Everyone want to control our world.
But the HTC One has double the storage memory for the same price compared to the S4, thus slightly making up for it. I have an S4 myself and hope in time there will be an update where I can copy my apps to the SD card. If all else fails though, the S4 is still one hell of a phone.

Old 10-15-2013, 04:46 PM

On the S3 (jellybean 4.1.2) You can use the OTG (on the go)cable and directly access a portable HD or thumb drive. Otherwise you have to install kies on your computer.

Old 10-15-2013, 05:03 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
I've been off the board here for a while and not monitoring tech stuff very much recently. Still running my SGP5!

We are used to running our devices with an open USB mode, meaning that you hook up to a computer and get direct access to the internal and external memory as if it were a simple USB drive. Friend of mine looking at S4 said that he heard the new Samsung phones are shipping with Samsung Android which forces user into an "iTunes-like" interface for managing files. You cannot just browse on Explorer and get the F:/ drive...you have to open a Samsung interface on your PC and do everything through that. Is this true?
NOT true. I do NOT have to open a Samsung interface. I agree that there isn't a drive letter. I just plug my phones (Samsung S3 I-747M, LG Optimus L5), and tablet (Samsung Tab 2 7" WiFi) into my PC (currently Win 8, but I've done it with a Win 7 as well). The device appears in Win Explorer as "Phone" or "Tablet", and "microSD card" (or whatever the two memories show up as), just the same as a Sansa Clip+ or Zip when used in MTP mode. I regularly copy both ways (mp3, jpg, ebooks, pdf, ...). Sometimes I get a compatibility message, but just reply OK, and it continues.

I have never dealt with a Samsung interface. There are several models of S3. We have the I-747M. I don't know if other models work differently, but all 3 of our Androids work the same.

skip mentioned bmp files. I'll have to try that at some point. Probably have to download one, or convert one.

Steve

Old 10-15-2013, 05:07 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder9000 View Post
On the S3 (jellybean 4.1.2) You can use the OTG (on the go)cable and directly access a portable HD or thumb drive. Otherwise you have to install kies on your computer.
The OTG cable is very picky about what you can connect to it. I can't get it to handle a Compact Flash memory card but that may be the adapter that I have. Most people can't get their hard drives to work without re-formatting first. Portable drives (usually unpowered) probably require too much power and the S3 will reject them. Have you actually connected a portable hard drive through the OTG?

I have an S3 (running 4.0.4), and have never used (or installed Kies).

Steve

Last edited by FreeZ5; 10-16-2013 at 04:00 AM.

Old 10-15-2013, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeZ5 View Post
The OTG cable is very picky about what you can connect to it. I can't get it to handle a Compact Flash memory card but that may be the adapter that I have. Most people can't get their hard drives to work without re-formatting first. Portable drives (usually unpowered) probably require too much power and the S3 will eject it. Have you actually connected a portable hard drive through the OTG?

I have an S3 (running 4.0.4), and have never used (or installed Kies).

Steve
It all changes once you upgrade to 4.1.2 ,and yes it will using the samsung otg cable . I just now tried connecting it to my WD passport will no success , it will work with thumb drives however. So i apologize for saying otherwise.

Last edited by Thunder9000; 10-15-2013 at 10:01 PM. Reason: correction

Old 10-16-2013, 12:38 AM

android in general is phasing out the old connection type and are pushing all devices to the MTP only connections, personally I've not had any issue with it, but I suppose you could circumvent it using some kind of wifi file transfer app.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:00 AM
Administrator

That's not good news for someone like me that's been used to carrying and using software from their music players. It also means quite a bit of software I use that uses drive letters won't be able to address the files on the player.

Not that big a deal for me though. I've adapted to changes in tech before and I haven't used my SGP 4.0 enough in MSC to make that my normal habit. I've used Sonys that are MTP only and I've gotten used to making sure all my files are the way they need to be before I transfer them.

I almost always have a Rockboxed DAP with me. It won't be quite as convenient but with a little forethought it shouldn't be all that bad.

(He said just before something he should have known about came back to bite him in the ass.)

Old 10-16-2013, 07:01 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Everyone seems so interested in being able to do the "copy apps to SD card" here, and I am wondering why that is. How many apps are people installing on their devices anyway?

I guess I could understand it with something like the Samsung Galaxy players since they have only around 5GB internal memory usable, but when I had mine I never came close to filling that.

My tablet and phone both run 4.1.2 Jellybean which apparently no longer allows the app to SD functionality, but I don't miss it...my tablet has 16GB internal plus card slot, and my phone has 32GB internal plus card slot. Any music or videos that I store on them goes on the external memory card, and I'm not storing much video on the cards anymore thanks to the SanDisk Wireless Media Drive....I stream video from that to the tablet fairly often.

Old 10-17-2013, 12:23 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I'm with ya, Marv. I've always wanted to be sure I keep my apps on the internal memory, even. I don't run into space issues, currently have roughly 1.5 GB free on the internal card, and that's with all the apps I want and a bunch of videos and things I want to have with me even if I swap my SD card. I'm on 4.3 these days, btw. Not sure if that takes more room on the card than 4.1.2 or not.

@Blackdog, I haven't tried CM, I've mostly been using LiquidSmooth but I tried a couple other ROMs before settling on this one (the only one I remember that stands out is Slim Bean).

Old 10-17-2013, 01:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I've looked around there (xda) at what they have for my phone but given that I have to live with it for the next two years, I haven't done anything to it. Then again, I don't have any complaints about it as is.

My main Android curiosity is what the pure Google experience is like to live with.

I've had the SGP with a couple different Gingerbread ROMs, the Motorola Atrix that was GB and stock, my tablet which was originally Honeycomb (bleah!) and later ICS and now Jellybean (with Touchwiz, of course) and my phone is Jellybean with a bunch of LG software built in (which admittedly seems to work very well so far).

But a device totally free of any manufacturer's interpretation....that intrigues me, like a Nexus model, or the GS4 and HTC One which can be had as "Google Play" editions.

Old 10-17-2013, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
the GS4 and HTC One which can be had as "Google Play" editions.
Only in the USA, I think?

Old 10-17-2013, 02:04 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skamp View Post
Only in the USA, I think?
That could very well be the case, but I am not 100% sure of it.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
I've looked around there (xda) at what they have for my phone but given that I have to live with it for the next two years, I haven't done anything to it. Then again, I don't have any complaints about it as is.

My main Android curiosity is what the pure Google experience is like to live with.

I've had the SGP with a couple different Gingerbread ROMs, the Motorola Atrix that was GB and stock, my tablet which was originally Honeycomb (bleah!) and later ICS and now Jellybean (with Touchwiz, of course) and my phone is Jellybean with a bunch of LG software built in (which admittedly seems to work very well so far).

But a device totally free of any manufacturer's interpretation....that intrigues me, like a Nexus model, or the GS4 and HTC One which can be had as "Google Play" editions.
honestly, to me anyway, from the CM, AOKP and other ROMS I have tried on my Razr MAXX, SGP 4.0 and Tab 2 7" I really don't see much difference even touchwiz is starting to look more like stock (since ICS came out), at this point it pretty much feels like touchwiz is nothing more then a different color "skin" over the normal android. maybe thats just me but thats how I feel and I honestly don't see why people complain about it aside from samsungs use of green colors.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:29 PM
Administrator

As someone who hasn't been involved with Android from the beginning I've also been somewhat puzzled about the complaints about the TouchWiz interface. After I rooted my SGP 4.0 I saw some improvements in performance but tbh it wasn't what I considered a startling improvement.

I suspect it's something like the reaction I get from people that wonder why I prefer using sansa DAPs with Rockbox. The sandisk firmware works nicely for them to transfer files, create playlists and get the music rolling. The learning curve for that is minimal vs. what you need to do to really take advantage of what needed to use Rockbox. For most people doing what you need to do to get Rockbox set the way you want is just too much work to play your music.

That's how I see the android devices I've dealt with recently. There's no doubt tons of things that could be done if I rooted them or could move apps to the external memory. At this point I don't see anything that I want to do I can't with the features they have now. I'd probably think differently if I were a heavy duty gamer or my android devices were for more than simple communications and entertainment.

Old 10-18-2013, 06:02 PM

Hmm I would mostly say it's all about opinions. At first, I didn't like touchwiz at all. (GB touchwiz was slow, sluggish, and ugly) Also the lack of updates is something what I wanted to absolutely remove(no support after 3 months is really a joke). I'm no audiophile but once I started using newer JB builds for my SGP 4.0, I realized a difference in sound between it and GB. Sure as @skip252 said the learning curve for all that modding stuff is beyond some.

Still as some of you said, since ICS and up, it looks like the manufacturers have listened and begins to make something that somewhat closer to stock (like sense for example).
Although Samsung is continuing to refine touchwiz, some will still find that it's interface is too much cartoony and not serious enough

Well people will still find something bad to say about everything....