android
Old 10-20-2013, 04:22 AM

Angry Ordering songs in playlists on Clip+ with Rockbox

I am having a difficult time with Rockbox on my Sansa Clip+. All I want to do is listen to music in the order I choose while I'm at the gym. So, I guess that means creating a playlist. I plug the player into my computer, create a playlist on the player via "my computer", drag and drop the songs I want to hear in the order I want, and then when I look at the songs on the player, the order is all screwed up. Like I saved songs from two Iron Maiden albums in the playlist. The songs lined up like song 1 from first album, song one from second album, song 2 from first album, song 2 from second album etc... What the hell? How can this be? I'm just simple. I loaded albums via WMP, and I'm dragging songs from my windows music file and dropping them into the playlist file I created on Clip+, and the Clip changes the order I saved them as. It seems like such a simple thing is very complicated. Can you help? Thanks so much

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-20-2013, 02:53 PM

I've got a Rockboxed Clip+ and Clip Zip.

I use MediaMonkey (free from http://www.mediamonkey.com). I drag files from their location on my PC onto a playlist. I then re-order them as I want, right click on the playlist and select "Send to". Select your player, and hopefully the playlist will now play in the correct order. Works for me anyway.

Don't worry if MediaMonkey looks a bit confusing to begin with (I seem to remember I had problems until I found my way around); it's actually quite simple. Let us know how you get on.

Last edited by Hungerdunger; 10-20-2013 at 05:06 PM.

Old 10-20-2013, 05:50 PM
Administrator

Welcome to ABi

Rockboxed DAPs are capable of using playlists in the order they were saved when they are created using Windows Media Player. It does have to be playlists as or they will play in the order they are seen in the File Browser or Database. That's not a matter of it messing anything up, it's that it's doing what it's directed.

If you drag files from the player in the playlist panel of WMP, arrange them the way you prefer they play, then save that list on the player as a .m3u playlist it should work they way you expect. It's the same with any software that's able to save a playlist as a .m3u.

MediaMonkey worked decently for me in the past but I found it buggy after the 4.x update. It seems to lock up when trying to scan a Rockboxed player and causes them both to freeze. I stopped using that and just use a portable installation of foobar2000. I'm accustomed to the interface, it's much lighter on resources and it's small enough to carry on the player if I prefer.

I drag files from the player into the main playlist, arrange the the way I prefer and save them as .m3u8. If there's files from both the internal and external memories saving them to the external memory creates file paths that work to play all the files.