android
Old 03-17-2014, 11:43 AM

Default Colorfly C3

Any C3 owners out there? I just scooped one for $90 w/ 32gb SD card. I've heard great things so I can't wait to try this puppy out!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-17-2014, 12:21 PM
Administrator

SHY might still have his. I can't remember anyone else here that has reported having one.

My conclusion in this thread http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=70504 when he first posted about it here http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...3&postcount=30 hasn't changed. At that time I tracked down RMAA results that indicate it's pretty much what SHY said. It performs well but not better or worse than any other non-broken player. With that and the lack of features I've come to expect in other players I couldn't see a reason to get one.

Old 03-17-2014, 03:37 PM

Welp, I have no need for any of those features except Gapless. Radio and Playlists are useless for me. I'll leave the custom EQs to cowon, but according to a half dozen different reviews on google, this player is supposed to make the mids shine, even on 320k mp3s. That's something a lot of players can't do right now. Including (in my opinion) the rockboxed clip.

In the end, I'm happy paying a lowly $90 to see if it lives up to the hype. Doesn't really hurt my wallet much, especially in comparison to the cost of the DX50 or the X5 or anything else like that.

Old 03-17-2014, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batteraziiz View Post
I'll leave the custom EQs to cowon, but according to a half dozen different reviews on google, this player is supposed to make the mids shine, even on 320k mp3s. That's something a lot of players can't do right now. Including (in my opinion) the rockboxed clip.
I doubt any Rockbox developer wants their firmware to make the mids shine. Anyone who wants the mids to shine will probably be better off using an equalizer. And mids do not have to shine with 320 kbps MP3s: http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index....best_file_size.

Old 03-17-2014, 05:40 PM
Administrator

You'll notice I didn't say it's a bad product or recommend against it. I just said it lacks what I want to make me part with my money.

As to the make the mids shine thing, a properly performing DAP shouldn't. My experience says that the province of my headphones or speakers. If I run across a DAP that does that I get rid of it. To my way of thinking if a DAP makes the mids shine in some way it's defective in a way that makes it not be a product I care to own.

I also don't feel required to believe there's a significant difference unless it's accompanied by reliable electronic testing that says there's a defect in the C3 output. The RMAA result I saw said it's flat in it's frequency response so it shouldn't boost or lower the mid range frequencies.I prefer to go with that vs. a subjective test that isn't accompanied by how the reviewer performed their listening in a double blind fashion.

I've read accounts of pops when it starts I find credible. That's the type of issue RMAA doesn't test so a subjective report of extraneous electronic noise during use is valuable in making my decision.

You may think my point of view is overly harsh or pessimistic but I come by it honestly. I've read dozens of reviews that have declared one DAP to sound significantly different from others. Then testing that's orders of magnitude more accurate and reliable than any human ear ever can be indicates it doesn't sound any different than any other player that's performing properly.

I've also read countless reviews that declare how great a DAP sounds when electronic testing and sometimes my ears say it's rolled off in either the bass or the treble. The rolloff may produce a sound that's pleasant to the reviewer. That's good for them and others that enjoy that sound.

I prefer a good EQ that let's me adjust the frequency response for my headphones and ears . If the output is flawed so that any part of the audible range of frequencies is boosted or rolled off I haven't a way to do that accurately.

Old 03-17-2014, 05:55 PM

I'm just up for trying a new brand and model, I suppose. The price is right, anyway. Seems like a good middle-of-the-road player between the clip zip and the cowon x9, the clip was too small and the X9 was too large for my everyday use. The battery life is double that of a clip, which also sounds good to me.

As for flaws, I'll have to play that by ear. Usually I fire up the DAP first, then the headphone amp second anyway. Any pops would be shot to the amp, not my cans.

Old 03-17-2014, 06:28 PM
Administrator

Sounds good to me. I have a new toy itch I frequently scratch by buying things I wouldn't necessarily recommend to others.

I once spent a couple hundred bucks trying to find an alternative to the Clip. I got sick of every time someone asked for a cheap, reliable player recommendation the answer always seemed to be "Get a Clip!" I didn't find anything with a comparable feature set at the price but looking was fun.

The point I'm trying to get across is that I don't find anything wrong with trying something new and different. My issue is that when people do they have a tendency to report the new thing sounds either much better or worse than what already exists.

I've seen enough of those reports to take them with a grain of salt and do my own investigation. The problem with that is there's usually only "I hear this" reports. I've found that to be unreliable to the point where I prefer not to invest my money based on those. I might if there's a painless return policy but other than that I'll continue with what my research and listening experiences have taught me.

That gets summed up better than I can say it here. You'll notice that was close to 4 years ago. I find it to be even more the case now.

Old 03-17-2014, 07:06 PM

Yeah, I take reports with a grain of salt, but if a dozen different reviews on un-affiliated sites say the same thing, I start to take notice.
That being said, DAPs are like Pokemon to me. I won't stop until I've tried 'em all.
Still on the to-purchase 'just so I can hear the difference before I die' list:
- Zune120,
- fiio X5,
- cowon i9+ (Low on the list since I've already owned 2 cowons),
- ibasso DX90 (If they can keep it under the $150 range.. They're saying $100, but that turns into $120 CAD real easy. Add shipping and she's 140 *sigh*),
- Teclast x30se,

The Colorfly C3 was on the list, but I'm crossing that one off as soon as it shows up. I'm sure more will be added before year's end. Point being, it'll never be enough.

...Why did a 30 yr. old man just make a Pokemon reference? Christ, I need a coffee.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:04 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I loved my Zune 120,...no custom eq killed it for me though. A Digizoid ZO does give it the extra "BOOM" it was lacking. And the bigger screen was sweet too,...

Old 03-18-2014, 08:18 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by batteraziiz View Post
Yeah, I take reports with a grain of salt, but if a dozen different reviews on un-affiliated sites say the same thing, I start to take notice.
That being said, DAPs are like Pokemon to me. I won't stop until I've tried 'em all.
Still on the to-purchase 'just so I can hear the difference before I die' list:
- Zune120,
- fiio X5,
- cowon i9+ (Low on the list since I've already owned 2 cowons),
- ibasso DX90 (If they can keep it under the $150 range.. They're saying $100, but that turns into $120 CAD real easy. Add shipping and she's 140 *sigh*),
- Teclast x30se,

The Colorfly C3 was on the list, but I'm crossing that one off as soon as it shows up. I'm sure more will be added before year's end. Point being, it'll never be enough.

...Why did a 30 yr. old man just make a Pokemon reference? Christ, I need a coffee.
i9 sounds just like the X9...and the menu layout is terrible, IMO. So don't waste your time with that one...lol.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:10 PM

Well I'll be able to try both the c3 and the i9+ shortly.... the list shortens ^_^