android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Speakers

Old 11-15-2013, 06:27 PM
Ultra Senior Member

So today I found a new Bose store in my local Mall, had a test of all the portable stereos they had including the Soundlink Mini. The sound that comes out of that thing is very impressive (when you consider the size of it). Definitely size wise the best sound quality I have come across.
Although I was impressed I wouldn't part with $250 for it. I just find these things really over priced, I may buy in a sale etc.

But nothing I have heard so far rivals the Creative D5, but then that's not rechargable or very portable (tho I do take it with me on holidays etc).

So I'm still very intrigued to hear this Creative HD Airwave offering from Creative...

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-16-2013, 02:45 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBanner View Post
So I'm still very intrigued to hear this Creative HD Airwave offering from Creative...
Do it...

(...and report back.)

Old 11-16-2013, 04:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hhahaa nah I'm not that ballsy, I'd need to hear instore before doing that again. D5 was my biggest gamble and it paid off (hadn't heard before hand).
I don't know what to make of the HD Airwave's price. It's sitting at $179AUD, which suggest either its good value for money, or rubbish.

Old 12-14-2013, 01:59 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I grabbed a new speaker today, well online purchase so have yet to hear it. I have seen it instore, and apparently it's had decent reviews. It's the TDK Sound Cube;

I recall seeing it many moons ago, retailing for $300AUD here, it's discontinued now and I grabbed for $99AUD. I missed it in a sale going for $50 not so long ago!

But that's the way with these things, so overpriced to begin with, I'm not even sure I would pay $99 for the Bose Mini SOundlink and everywhere I look its going for $250...

Anyway I'll let u know how it sounds when it arrives.

It's just i was in the shop today and man there are SO MANY kinda different portable bluetooth speakers, all around $250-300. Was not impressed with any of the Logitech ones, tried Bose (even their more expensive flagship ones, $500 in their product room) and still wasn't overly impressed. Now Sony, Samsung and a heap of others sell them, some teeny tiny, some medium, not many large, certainly the Sound Cube is bigger than the vast majority of them.

Oh well..

Old 12-14-2013, 08:43 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I've seen reviews,...I think you'll be happy with it.

Old 12-14-2013, 02:47 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I just realised this version isn't battery operated... :|
Wireless but needs AC...

I'm not even sure the supplier I bought it from will make good on delivery, it's a discontinued product and then need to get stock in lol

Old 12-16-2013, 07:43 PM
Ultra Senior Member

My soundcube arrived today. It's definately not the same as the one I linked a pic of above. However, a quick play with it and I'm pretty happy, certainly for $99 it beats every similar priced product. I'll do a review soon..

Old 12-17-2013, 10:40 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
My soundcube arrived today. It's definately not the same as the one I linked a pic of above. However, a quick play with it and I'm pretty happy, certainly for $99 it beats every similar priced product. I'll do a review soon..
I imagine some of that might have to do with it not needing to negotiate the power management of an internal battery.

I'm guessing this is the one you got (the TDK Wireless Sound Cube)?:

Old 12-17-2013, 02:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yup. A few others on Amazon reviews seem to have been fooled like this too, seeing as the older version (but not bluetooth) was internal battery portable, we all kinda figured the newer is the same + bluetooth...

Old 12-17-2013, 02:42 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Yup. A few others on Amazon reviews seem to have been fooled like this too, seeing as the older version (but not bluetooth) was internal battery portable, we all kinda figured the newer is the same + bluetooth...
It's an easy mistake to make, considering "Wireless" is in the product name. Silly TDK...

Old 12-23-2013, 02:55 AM
Ultra Senior Member

So i got a reply from XPAL, they seem to handle the Energizer External Battery. I filled out their form, took snap shots of the power supply and plug end, this was their reply;

"Dear customer, Thank you for contacting with us.
Regret that we might inform you that for your device request 18V /2A is out of our product could be support.
Thank you for interesting in our product, if you had any other device, you may inform us. We may give some suggest to you.
Here is our online store you may take a look.
http://www.shop.xpalpower.com/
Thank you.
XPAL POWER"

LOL!

Old 12-28-2013, 12:14 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I just received my Sharp boombox today. I paid $175.28 with tax (S&H was free w/Amazon Prime). I'm gonna test the SQ later today with one of my iPod touch's docked. I've heard nothing but good about it,...I'm STOKED!!! This was bought from me Christmas gift money.

Here's the link on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 12-28-2013, 01:02 PM
Ultra Senior Member

^^^ Ah, The Beast. Looking forward to your impressions.

Old 12-28-2013, 03:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yeh that looks good. Problem for me is so many boomboxes are built for ipods or idevices, i don't own any and didn't want to shell out extra dollars for a feature I wouldn't use.
Look forward to yer feedback.

Old 12-28-2013, 03:21 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Yeh that looks good. Problem for me is so many boomboxes are built for ipods or idevices, i don't own any and didn't want to shell out extra dollars for a feature I wouldn't use.
Look forward to yer feedback.
A lot of them have aux-in jacks too.

Old 12-28-2013, 03:32 PM

That Sharp thing isn't subtle..

Old 12-28-2013, 03:33 PM
Ultra Senior Member

This thing is LOUD!!! I luv it,...and I can navigate through the music & playlist menu with the remote. It also plays mp3 CD's, which I use as well. Plus it has the option to connect devices via the usb input. And, as Marv has stated, it has aux-in as well as the option to be used as a portable speaker/guitar amp. SLAMMIN'!!!

Oh, and it can use D batteries. I wonder if there's any Eneloop D batteries,...

Old 12-28-2013, 03:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Of course I imagined it would have aux, what I meant was paying a higher price for a feature that would be redundant for me. If they released a cheaper version without the ipod dock part that would be better for folks like me, but they never do. So generally when i see the ipod dock feature I shy away, bit silly i know but there u go.

Old 12-28-2013, 04:15 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Extra features nowadays don't actually add to expense. It adds backwards & forwards compatibility. You just like to be overly picky - as is your right.

Besides, this lacks what you require - Bluetooth. That alone I could and would understand. Everything else is just being critical for the sake of just being critical. No BT = NO DEAL!!!

Old 12-28-2013, 04:26 PM

At least it's got speaker grills, not like some of the other (totally impractical for portability) ones in this thread.