android
Old 10-18-2013, 02:16 AM
Ultra Senior Member

My recommendation: stay away from the stores now! ;^)

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-19-2013, 11:50 AM

I got back early, late last night and have been listening to the K550 all day today. These cans are HUGE, circumaural and closed back although they have a pretty wide soundstage.

Everything sounds great, (and the Momentum were the best I'd heard up to these) there is nothing in the sound that is overpowering and nothing that is veiled or hidden. Some of my bass-heavy tracks which I thought sounded OK on my iems actually sound more real ie. normal on these phones - I don't think I'll be EQing them much if at all.

They are very comfy - easily more so than the on-ears Momentum - and are made mainly of metal with some plastic also. 32 Ohms means they can be powered easily by my mobile phone or a Clip+.

One thing I did notice is the amount of detail they reveal and how tight drums and other percussion is (similar in a way to my dual BA Sony iems - although those iems have other problems with their sound).

Definitely a keeper although I didn't really want 2 sets of headphones, but decidedly not for portable use as they are so massive - more as a set of reference cans.

Next to the Momentums:

These have been out for a couple of years now, and the price I paid should only go down further perhaps below $200 US. * I've nothing really to compare them with but I perhaps wouldn't pay more than that with other options in the market

EDIT: But I do love the sound so far. * New, that is. Don't buy these used or unseen because there are reports of damage to the band when people try to increase the clamping force for smaller heads..and it's being damaged badly, snapping even, when trying to bend it back.

Last edited by Jeven; 10-19-2013 at 12:09 PM.

Old 10-19-2013, 01:14 PM
Administrator

Glad you're enjoying expanding your headphone collection. Be careful, it can get expensive in a hurry!

In a game of "what if" I was once asked if I could only save my DAPs or headphones which would I chose. For me it's a no brainer, I'd pick the headphones every time. I could get a $30 DAP to be back in business playing the files. Having the right headphones to hear those files is much more important as far as I'm concerned.

It doesn't seem that good quality headphones drop much in price. Good ones like the ones you're getting last a long time and their reputation grows. Once that happens the price usually either grows or at best stays constant.

Then it pretty much becomes a game of watching for sales or special offers. It's one of the reasons I'm glad aimran posts so frequently in the Deals thread. I've picked up a couple of headphones following up what he's posted there at some great prices.

Old 10-20-2013, 07:48 AM

Well, I'm absolutely broke now, so no chance of spending any more money.

I'm pleased with both the Momentum and the K550 - I really need to listen to both more but it's a considerable step-up in quality over both my iems (Sony EX0300 and XBA-2).

The Momentum On-Ear have a bump in the lower end but not really at the expense of the mids and treble. The K550 are pretty neutral, analytical and flat but with much more resolution and detail to the music - Jazz and Classical sound fantastic, as does Rush and Led Zep.

Because the AKG are so big and non-portable, I'm keeping them beside my bed and will listen to much of my collection again through them in those hours (11pm -1am) I enjoy music at night.

Old 10-20-2013, 03:06 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
Then it pretty much becomes a game of watching for sales or special offers. It's one of the reasons I'm glad aimran posts so frequently in the Deals thread. I've picked up a couple of headphones following up what he's posted there at some great prices.
Aimran finds super deals and no doubt had contributed to the impoverishment of many people, myself included. Thanks, airman!

Old 10-20-2013, 05:23 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Broke azz bastards!!! Yeah,...Aimran got me too!!!

Old 10-23-2013, 04:31 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Don't worry guys. At first I couldn't my urges too to buy every headphones that went on sale. I can now resist those urges. Just set your eyes on one particular set and wait for that set to go on sale for a reasonable price.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:36 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimran View Post
Just set your eyes on one particular set and wait for that set to go on sale for a reasonable price.
Or for aimran to showcase those deals.