android
Old 10-13-2013, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmangum View Post
I'm on msc mode and what drive should I mount?
Please read the fine manual. http://download.rockbox.org/daily/ma...l#x4-90002.2.1:
Quote:
The mountpoint indicates the location of the player in your filesystem.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-13-2013, 06:43 AM

Ok thanks. The manual actually is a bit misleading for me. Like there's a list of things u should download but its in the manual installation part. But what bin file should I dl?

Old 10-13-2013, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Like there's a list of things u should download but its in the manual installation part.
You should use automated installation.
Quote:
But what bin file should I dl?
A link is given. http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SansaAMS#Installation.

Old 10-13-2013, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
You should use automated installation.
A link is given. http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SansaAMS#Installation.
This one?: Clip +: An original firmware (OF), the bootloader, the normal Rockbox build.

Only the original firmware? Its confusing cause it says in manual installation, install those files.

Old 10-13-2013, 08:00 AM

Quote:
This one?: Clip +: An original firmware (OF), the bootloader, the normal Rockbox build.
Yes, but only the firmware when the automated installer says that you will now have to supply it with one.
Quote:
Its confusing cause it says in manual installation, install those files.
This is why you should use the automated installation. Manual installation is mainly intended for advanced users.

Old 10-13-2013, 08:45 AM
Administrator

I won't try to provide any assurances the developers don't provide. They are where I get the info that installing Rockbox should be as risky as installing an official firmware.

I will say that I've done it wrong intentionally and unintentionally with the automated installer and it just won't cooperate. At worst it won't patch the wrong firmware for a particular player or will place a patched firmware in the wrong location you designate.

Which one you use doesn't matter to Rockbox. The automated installer will patch any of them it recognizes as appropriate for the target you designate. It won't hurt to use the 01.02.18 version but Rockbox performs the same with any of them. Read the release notes to see the differences in the sandisk firmware.

Be sure to not store the original firmware you have to download on the player. The automated installer will move the patched firmware to the player and if the original is already there that's the one that's used for the upgrade. The installation will seem to be complete but it just upgrades the sandisk firmware and Rockbox isn't installed.

The manual and installation directions are written as literally as possible. The installer has been worked and reworked I don't know how many times to make installation and updating as simple as possible. I've noticed that when someone has a problem now it's that they either ignore the messages the installer gives or over thinks it and tries to do what they believe it's asking for. If you follow directions as given it should work well.

There's safeguards like the installer refusing to patch a version that isn't right for your player. Even if you manually patch the wrong one and drag it to the root of the player the firmware update never starts. The player just ignores the file as a firmware update.

You're doing a firmware update so you follow the directions for preparation for that given here. The firmwares listed there are the same as the ones from the sandisk site. Basically all you need to do is be sure to take the card out, makes sure it's well charged and fire up the automated installer then follow directions as given.

Old 10-13-2013, 11:01 AM

I actually just installed it a few hours ago and I was like "whatever whats the worse that could happen"
Its working now and it was really easy to install actually.

I do have some questions now that im using rockbox:

1. Where is the "play all" button? Where it plays ALL songs on shuffle. Cause I don't really listen by album. And if I want to listen to this song, why does it queue only the songs from that folder as opposed to queuing all songs?

2. I wanna try gapless playback feature but I don't really notice it. Do I need to encode my mp3s?

3. Why am I seeing this horizontal line separating blue and yellow? Its weird. Like in the picture flow plugin (which I love) but it looks messed up. Or is really that way cause the screen is small?

4. Can I make playlists on my pc then transferring it to my sansa? Let's say I have a "night" playlist, I'd choose from various folders. Like one song from album X and another song from album Y etc.

Old 10-13-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Where is the "play all" button?
Please read the fine manual. http://download.rockbox.org/daily/ma...1.html#x2-1000.

Old 10-13-2013, 01:07 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
2. I wanna try gapless playback feature but I don't really notice it. Do I need to encode my mp3s?
From what I understand, MP3s need to be encoded with the LAME encoder for Rockbox to read the gapless tags (Ogg Vorbis and FLAC are natively gapless). I believe iTunes has some gapless tagging it imparts to the MP3s and AACs it creates too, but I'm not sure if Rockbox digests that particular metadata.

Quote:
3. Why am I seeing this horizontal line separating blue and yellow? Its weird. Like in the picture flow plugin (which I love) but it looks messed up. Or is really that way cause the screen is small?
That's just the way the Clip+ screen is built. There's a roughly 1-pixel gap between the yellow and blue elements of the screen. You probably didn't notice it before because nothing in the OF is split across both sections.

Quote:
4. Can I make playlists on my pc then transferring it to my sansa? Let's say I have a "night" playlist, I'd choose from various folders. Like one song from album X and another song from album Y etc.
Something like this is possible, as long as the playlists are in the M3U format. I've found oddgravity's Playlist Creator to work best for me with this sort of thing. You use it to select the files on your Clip+ that you want in a particular playlist, arrange them in whatever order you prefer, and then save the playlist to the device. Pretty simple. You can even copy the Playlist Creator application to your Clip+ as a portable installation so that it travels wherever your player does, ready to be run on any Windows machine you connect it to.

Also:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post

Old 10-13-2013, 10:36 PM

Quote:

Something like this is possible, as long as the playlists are in the M3U format. I've found oddgravity's Playlist Creator to work best for me with this sort of thing. You use it to select the files on your Clip+ that you want in a particular playlist, arrange them in whatever order you prefer, and then save the playlist to the device. Pretty simple. You can even copy the Playlist Creator application to your Clip+ as a portable installation so that it travels wherever your player does, ready to be run on any Windows machine you connect it to.
I actually have a lot of m3u softwares right now but none of them worked. It cant open the directory of my sansa.
I've notice that that is because I put all my music using MTP. I think it only works using MSC.
Now I cant see the songs I put in msc mode. Is there a way to transfer those songs easily from mtp to msc?

Old 10-13-2013, 10:42 PM

Quote:
I actually have a lot of m3u softwares right now but none of them worked. It cant open the directory of my sansa.
I've notice that that is because I put all my music using MTP. I think it only works using MSC.
Now I cant see the songs I put in msc mode. Is there a way to transfer those songs easily from mtp to msc?
Why did you switch to MTP? Leave it in MSC.

I don't recall the exact procedure, but I think you need to remove all the MTP transferred files while in MTP, then switch to MSC and transfer them again.

Old 10-14-2013, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carson Dyle View Post
Why did you switch to MTP? Leave it in MSC.

I don't recall the exact procedure, but I think you need to remove all the MTP transferred files while in MTP, then switch to MSC and transfer them again.
No I did not switch to MTP. It was originally in mtp and I had no idea at first when I bought and I was too excited to put all my music. I guess I'd have to transfer them all again then.

Anyway, I still can't figure out the playback of ALL my music though. I'm still reading the manual. Can't figure it out.

Old 10-14-2013, 05:15 AM
Administrator

You didn't put in MTP, it's a result of the firmware update. That's the same with Rockbox and the OF. You need to reset to MSC. You'll probably find it easier to delete your music before you do that. Files loaded in autodefect or MTP can't be seen in Windows Explorer once you change USB modes.

Most software that creates .m3u playlists need a drive letter to work. Playlists or the database is how you play all your files in Rockbox. There's no play all button. Want to play all your music? "Play" the directory it's in by adding it to a playlist.

I found this part of the manual one of the most helpful when it came to understanding how to play my music the way I like.
Quote:
Directory
A playlist! One of the keys to getting the most out of Rockbox is understanding that Rockbox always considers the song that it is playing to be part of a playlist, and in some situations, Rockbox will create a playlist automatically. For example, if you are playing the contents of a directory, Rockbox will automatically create a playlist containing all songs in it. This means that just about anything that is described in this chapter with respect to playlists also applies to directories.
Rockbox is playlist oriented. Once you get your player reloaded and think of using Long Enter to open the context menu that has the playlist options you'll find it easier to understand how to play your files.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
You didn't put in MTP, it's a result of the firmware update. That's the same with Rockbox and the OF. You need to reset to MSC. You'll probably find it easier to delete your music before you do that. Files loaded in autodefect or MTP can't be seen in Windows Explorer once you change USB modes.

Most software that creates .m3u playlists need a drive letter to work. Playlists or the database is how you play all your files in Rockbox. There's no play all button. Want to play all your music? "Play" the directory it's in by adding it to a playlist.

I found this part of the manual one of the most helpful when it came to understanding how to play my music the way I like.

Rockbox is playlist oriented. Once you get your player reloaded and think of using Long Enter to open the context menu that has the playlist options you'll find it easier to understand how to play your files.
I actually just figured it out. I can just go over all the folders i have and long press and add them to the dynamic playlist. Which is kinda tedious compared to the play all function of the OF. But i dont care Rockbox is the best. I hope I get the playlist thing to work.

Right now im having problems on connecting my device to my pc. I connected the usb normally and the device failed to install and it cant be opened. So now i have to boot using OF to connect to it. Cant i just connect it using the rockbox firmware so i wont have to boot OF just to connect on the usb?

Old 10-14-2013, 11:00 AM

Quote:
I actually just figured it out. I can just go over all the folders i have and long press and add them to the dynamic playlist. Which is kinda tedious compared to the play all function of the OF. But i dont care Rockbox is the best. I hope I get the playlist thing to work.

Right now im having problems on connecting my device to my pc. I connected the usb normally and the device failed to install and it cant be opened. So now i have to boot using OF to connect to it. Cant i just connect it using the rockbox firmware so i wont have to boot OF just to connect on the usb?
Rockbox's USB mode on the Sansa players is buggy and most users recommend using the OF if you are having problems.

Dynamic playlists on the fly is a nice feature but most users make playlists on the computer and transfer them over. You will want to use .m3u format with full pathnames and no leading dot. If that doesn't make sense to you, I recommend reading up on the standards a little bit.

Old 10-14-2013, 11:07 AM

Quote:
I can just go over all the folders i have and long press and add them to the dynamic playlist. Which is kinda tedious compared to the play all function of the OF.
I use the database. Very easy.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:01 PM
Administrator

Rockbox is put together by some savvy people that don't like having to put a lot of effort into having their music played the way they prefer. They may not spend much time explaining what they've done but if you poke around a bit there's usually really easy way to do most things. It's that way with making a playlist that has all the files on the player in it.

The context menu that's associated with most menu items is usually where you find the simple way to get things done. You may need to poke around some to find a way that works for you but once you learn how you'll find Rockbox much more useful.

Remember you were wondering why there's a stop function associated with the power button? Part of that is that the options available in the context menu change depending on if there's a playlist active or not when creating playlists on the player. Try it and see.

If you want to create a playlist that has all of your files in it <long> Enter on the Playlist Catalog menu item in the Main menu. If there's nothing playing you should get a context menu that includes Create Playlist. When you select that item it opens the virtual keyboard. The playlist should already be named "all.m3u8". <long> Enter the Select button and a playlist is created that has every file on the player. If there isn't a Playlists folder at the root of the player it's created and the playlist is saved there.

Anytime you want to play all songs you play that playlist. Anytime you change what's on the player repeat those steps and a new "all" playlist will be created that overwrites the old one. It's not a Play All button but it's much easier than adding each folder manually.

There's any number of parts in Rockbox that are like that. You can't customize every aspect of it but there's so much more that can be done there's really no way I know for anyone to write tutorials for every aspect of it. I really don't like writing what I just did because it may change. It has in the past.

I once helped a member figure out how to create playlists on their Clip+ and a few weeks later the playlist Catalog was reworked. It made it much easier for new users but anyone that comes across that now will be thoroughly confused. Those directions just don't work now.

That part of the manual hasn't been changed as far as I know which is why I'm writing this. When I asked about that at the time of the change the developer said the manual's software wasn't acting right and it couldn't be updated at that time. Guess he never got back to it. Damn shame too, it works much better now than what the old directions would lead you to believe.

What software to use and what format your .m3u playlists should have? My experience is that just about anything works with Rockbox. The last time I bothered to count I had used more than 30 different pieces of software from AIMP to XMPlay and the playlists all worked in Rockbox. Most of them didn't work in the OF but the Rockbox strips prefixes until it finds the files and plays them.

Old 10-14-2013, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
Rockbox is put together by some savvy people that don't like having to put a lot of effort into having their music played the way they prefer. They may not spend much time explaining what they've done but if you poke around a bit there's usually really easy way to do most things. It's that way with making a playlist that has all the files on the player in it.

The context menu that's associated with most menu items is usually where you find the simple way to get things done. You may need to poke around some to find a way that works for you but once you learn how you'll find Rockbox much more useful.

Remember you were wondering why there's a stop function associated with the power button? Part of that is that the options available in the context menu change depending on if there's a playlist active or not when creating playlists on the player. Try it and see.

If you want to create a playlist that has all of your files in it <long> Enter on the Playlist Catalog menu item in the Main menu. If there's nothing playing you should get a context menu that includes Create Playlist. When you select that item it opens the virtual keyboard. The playlist should already be named "all.m3u8". <long> Enter the Select button and a playlist is created that has every file on the player. If there isn't a Playlists folder at the root of the player it's created and the playlist is saved there.

Anytime you want to play all songs you play that playlist. Anytime you change what's on the player repeat those steps and a new "all" playlist will be created that overwrites the old one. It's not a Play All button but it's much easier than adding each folder manually.

There's any number of parts in Rockbox that are like that. You can't customize every aspect of it but there's so much more that can be done there's really no way I know for anyone to write tutorials for every aspect of it. I really don't like writing what I just did because it may change. It has in the past.

I once helped a member figure out how to create playlists on their Clip+ and a few weeks later the playlist Catalog was reworked. It made it much easier for new users but anyone that comes across that now will be thoroughly confused. Those directions just don't work now.

That part of the manual hasn't been changed as far as I know which is why I'm writing this. When I asked about that at the time of the change the developer said the manual's software wasn't acting right and it couldn't be updated at that time. Guess he never got back to it. Damn shame too, it works much better now than what the old directions would lead you to believe.

What software to use and what format your .m3u playlists should have? My experience is that just about anything works with Rockbox. The last time I bothered to count I had used more than 30 different pieces of software from AIMP to XMPlay and the playlists all worked in Rockbox. Most of them didn't work in the OF but the Rockbox strips prefixes until it finds the files and plays them.
Thank you! I actually just used this m3u playlist creator and it worked perfectly.
About the tip you said about the "play all" playlist. The default name is "Playlists.m3u8" i saved it. and its not showing on the playlist catalogue. Is this because i have currently playing playlist? How do i clear that?

Also, how do i go about charging my player using a wall charger? Do i boot it to OF first?

Old 10-15-2013, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Also, how do i go about charging my player using a wall charger?
Just plug it in.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:18 AM

Ok I'm really used to rockbox right now.

Thanks everyone!!