android
Old 10-10-2013, 03:32 AM

Default New to Clip+, tips and some questions

Ok ive been waiting for weeks to have this since my 2 yr old coby player gave up on me. Saw reviews that this is the best player.
Im still getting used to it cause im more used to my coby player. Any tips on how to take care of this? cause i want it to last at least 2 yrs like my old player. And i havent tested out the battery of this one cause one thing about me is I always fuck up the batteries of my electronics. So how should i take care of it? like is it bad to charge it when its not yet fully drained, etc.?

Also, im thinking of rockbox-ing my sansa. But is it safe? im scared to do it since i only bought this on ebay and the seller said its not gonna cover up the 1-week warranty of the player if ever something goes wrong in changing the firmware. It kinda bothered me cause what if i mess it all up. If ever i rockbox-ed it, will i be able to easily revert back to the original state of the player? And how much space will Rockbox take up? Cause i have 4gb and right now theres only like, 7mb space left. Also, is there a search function on rockbox? that'd be cool if you can search easily for the album you want to play and not scroll on it one by one.

Last question, is there any way to make playlists? Like if i make a playlist name "night" (for songs at night), then just grab those songs that are from my albums without duplicating the mp3 file? How do you do that?

edit: i just noticed that my sansa doesnt say "sansa" in the front. it says sandisk. i just find it weird.

Thanks.

Last edited by jeffmangum; 10-10-2013 at 04:48 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-10-2013, 07:38 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Welcome to the world of Sansa. Here are some answers.

1) There is a microSD slot. You can easily add more storage to your player.

2) Sandisk makes Sansa products. Kinda like Sony makes Walkman products.

3) Playlists ...yes. There are several/many ways. You could search for playlists in this forum to get ideas on how to handle them. But, in general, one playlist can't take songs from both the internal and external memories. So some folks use a large SD card (32GB or 64GB) and don't bother to use the internal memory.

Steve

Old 10-10-2013, 12:12 PM

Regarding the playlists.. I just discovered that it can read m3u file (or whatever that wmp playlist file ext is). It worked flawlessly. And I wasn't using an sd card. So I don't get how some people find it hard to make playlists...

Old 10-10-2013, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmangum View Post
Also, im thinking of rockbox-ing my sansa. But is it safe?
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...0&postcount=4:
Quote:
Lots of ABi members have used Rockbox without bricking including me.

Old 10-10-2013, 05:09 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Regarding the playlists.. I just discovered that it can read m3u file (or whatever that wmp playlist file ext is). It worked flawlessly. And I wasn't using an sd card. So I don't get how some people find it hard to make playlists...
I haven't used WMP, but yes it supports m3u (and pla) playlists. Except for the earliest releases of firmware on the Zip, I've never had problems with playlists since my first original Clip bought in Nov 2007. However, other folks have had problems, even those trying to follow my instructions.

Steve

Old 10-10-2013, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeZ5 View Post
I haven't used WMP, but yes it supports m3u (and pla) playlists. Except for the earliest releases of firmware on the Zip, I've never had problems with playlists since my first original Clip bought in Nov 2007. However, other folks have had problems, even those trying to follow my instructions.

Steve
What do you mean by "problems"? Like their sansas cant recognize the m3u? Well good thing mine is recognized.

Last question:

The folder view of it kinda sucks. I always rely on the folder view like in my coby. But when you choose a folder to play, then choose a song you want, the queue will play only the songs on that folder. How do you fix that?

Old 10-10-2013, 10:14 PM
Administrator

I just looked at the .rockbox folder on my Clip+. It's ~6.5 MB. I don't have very many themes installed and I only have the fonts needed to support those. If I use everything I once did it goes up to ~18 MB. The size of the firmware file doesn't count against your storage. It replaces the current firmware and your storage remains the same.

I keep ~10-12 MB free to give the database in Rockbox space to work. When I've filled it beyond that the database has hung up. That's not an official amount listed anywhere, it's just what I've found works best for me.

The risk in installing Rockbox is pretty much the same as any firmware update. That's not to say there's no risk. Just like an official firmware update if it goes wrong it leaves the player bricked. With no firmware to tell the hardware how to communicate with the outside world it becomes a paperweight.

The Rockbox database is searchable. It requires your tags be in decent shape but if they are you can find a artist, album or song quickly.

If you're interested in Rockbox I'd suggest you read the manual at least through Browsing and Playing before as part of making your decision. If you do decide to install you'll want to go further because there's part of Rockbox you'll never fully utilized just by poking at different buttons.

I'd also take a look at the SanDisk Sansa AMS Port Page. That's a wiki and isn't as up to date as the manual but there's more info there you may want to use as part of your decision.

Lithium batteries don't like extremes. They are supposed to lose the most life if you regularly charge or discharge them fully. More on that here. I've followed the general guidelines you'll find in the link to the Battery University and they've worked well for me.

I usually just plug it in whenever it's low and pull it off again when I think about it. Doing it that way I have some batteries that are still going strong after 4-5 years. They don't hold a charge as long as the once did but they still hold enough for a day's commute.

Using .m3u playlists is as complex as you make it in my experience. As long as the software used creates the right file paths the Clip+ doesn't have a problem reading and playing them. It's when you want to keep them synced and combine files from the internal and external memories things get tricky. Rockbox doesn't have a problem with combined playlists, the sandisk firmware can't make use of them at all.

There's no way I know for the sandisk firmware to play the next folder in the File Browser. You need to make playlists for that. Rockbox has a Auto-Change Directory setting that advances to the next folder.

Old 10-10-2013, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
I just looked at the .rockbox folder on my Clip+. It's ~6.5 MB. I don't have very many themes installed and I only have the fonts needed to support those. If I use everything I once did it goes up to ~18 MB. The size of the firmware file doesn't count against your storage. It replaces the current firmware and your storage remains the same.

Thank you for this!
I just read the browsing and playing manual and noticed this:
Power - Stop audio playback
So the button for play and pause would be the power button? Thats weird. I guess there would be a LOT of changes when i rockbox my player. But I do like the search function though with the keyboard and everything.

About the playlists, so it really is complicated to just play m3u playlists? Cause theres and existing m3u on this one album i have and it worked flawlessly. Which isnt like what i was planning to do cause im planning to have various songs from different albums to just one playlist.
What do you suggest I do then? (would this be easier with rockbox?)

Also, how easy it is to install the rockbox firmware? Is it as easy as the gui makes it look?

Last edited by jeffmangum; 10-10-2013 at 11:11 PM.

Old 10-11-2013, 12:31 AM

in my country, i can get either the clip zip or refurbished fuze+ at the same price, im leaning towards the fuze+ because of the bigger screen. im planning to rockbox it. any advice or objections? thanks

Old 10-11-2013, 10:38 AM
Administrator

A short press of the power button stops playback while you're in some screens other than the While Playing Screen(WPS). I find that useful to quickly stop the music without looking at the player to navigate back to the WPS. While you're in the WPS the D-pad works to control playback so the Pause button works as a pause in that screen.

Like most DAPs there's only a few buttons and there's quite a few functions Rockbox adds so what each button does in each screen changes. Not only that what happens with a short press can be very different from what happens with a long press. It can be fairly confusing at first but I found that once I learned what is possible I can control playback in most situations without looking at the screen.

If a Clip Zip and a Fuze+ were the same price I'd get the Fuze+. That's only if you're going to use Rockbox. Without Rockbox I wouldn't be bothered with a Fuze+. The response of the touchpad is so erratic without Rockbox I'd probably take a hammer to it from frustration.

Some say they still have problems with the touch pad response in Rockbox but I find it quite usable. You can't use gestures but it accurately responds to touches for me. It's not perfect but good to the point where if you prefer the better screen and much longer battery life with Rockbox I think it's a good buy.

Old 10-11-2013, 06:02 PM
Ultra Senior Member

With respect to charging, it's fine to "top off" a charge--that doesn't "count against" you. Generally, however, avoid letting the battery go way down or to discharge fully--full discharges can harm the battery. The exception being: a full discharge every now and again can recalibrate the battery gauge, as/if needed. Batteryuniversity.com has full information and tips--a great resource.

Old 10-11-2013, 09:49 PM

Thanks everyone.

So I guess I shouldnt be worried about my player constantly getting plugged in my pc (which will charge).

Ok one last question:
If ever I want to revert to the original state of my player (i.e. no rockbox), can I just easily remove the rockbox firmware?

Old 10-11-2013, 11:00 PM

Coincidentally... I was wondering exactly the same thing today. I sometimes go many days between using my Clip Zip, but by habit I always plug it in to the waiting USB cable when I get home.

Is keeping it plugged in to USB 24x7 good, bad, or indifferent to a device's battery life?

Last edited by Carson Dyle; 10-13-2013 at 01:37 AM.

Old 10-11-2013, 11:24 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carson Dyle View Post
Coincidentally... I was wondering exactly the same thing today. I sometimes go many days between using my Clip+, but by habit I always plug it in to the waiting USB cable when I get home.

Is keeping it plugged in to USB 24x7 good, bad, or indifferent to a device's battery life?
Keeping it plugged in all the time is not recommended if you value battery playback time.

My dad's laptop is always plugged in, and he'd be lucky to get much more than an hour of battery runtime out of it away from AC power. Mine, on the other hand, is usually used without the battery installed....I run it down to about 75% charge and then shut down and remove it, since almost all of my usage of it is at home.

I can install the battery six weeks later and it will have only lost at most 10% charge....and the rare occasion when I will need to use it, I'll charge it up fully and still be able to get about 4 hours runtime. Even factoring in my 15.6" screen vs. his 17.3"screen, it's obvious his battery is depleted, and mine has barely lost anything from when it was new.

Old 10-11-2013, 11:33 PM

Were you advised to use your laptop like that when it's on power?

Come to think of it, I have an old netbook that I usually keep plugged in 24x7 on my kitchen counter (with the battery installed). When it's away from power the battery life is a little less than when it was new, but probably no more than any other netbook that's a few years old.

Old 10-11-2013, 11:45 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carson Dyle View Post
Were you advised to use your laptop like that when it's on power?

Come to think of it, I have an old netbook that I usually keep plugged in 24x7 on my kitchen counter (with the battery installed). When it's away from power the battery life is a little less than when it was new, but probably no more than any other netbook that's a few years old.
It was something I asked my uncle about (the family guru) and he suggested that as a way to maximize the lifespan of the battery. At the time that I got the laptop, I needed to run it on battery every other week at my friend's house and with the toddlers that were crawling and stumbling about there, I didn't want to take any chances of one of them tripping over the cord and falling down and hurting themselves (or pulling my laptop onto the floor either).

Now, I have a tablet, and just bring my tablet there with me, but since it worked so well at preserving the battery, I've maintained the practice.

Old 10-12-2013, 05:44 PM

Quote:
If ever I want to revert to the original state of my player (i.e. no rockbox), can I just easily remove the rockbox firmware?
Please read the fine manual. http://download.rockbox.org/daily/ma...ml#x4-200002.5.

Old 10-13-2013, 12:39 AM
Ultra Senior Member

In answer to the OP's question, very easy to remove Rockbox.

Old 10-13-2013, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
In answer to the OP's question, very easy to remove Rockbox.
How about playlists? Can I make playlists in my pc and easily be read by rockbox? And can I choose from songs from different paths of my music player? Like if id get this one song from one album and this other song from another album and put it in one playlist?

And how about playback? Cause in the OF, if i want to play this song from this one album, the next songs would be played only by that selected album, and not my whole library. Cause I usually play in shuffle for all my songs.

Old 10-13-2013, 05:27 AM

Ok so I've decided that I should just go with it and install rb. I hope I don't mess it up since I'm I only have 3 days of waranty left and the seller said the warranty will be void if I try to rockbox it.

Few questions:
1. I'm on msc mode and what drive should I mount? The sansa or the sd?

2. How much free space should I have on the internal and sd memory?

3. It says I should install the of bin file. What version should I get? Is it ok to get any ver regardless of what firmware my device is using?